Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

1 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Horrible way to handle. Opinions?

Im usually a big fan of snake bytes and abtv as a whole. But imo this is doing the opposite of what the channel is trying to do. They took an animal that was in no way showing aggression and grabbed it behind the head unnecessarily causing the retic to freak out. This is exactly what the media wants, making retics look like monsters. When the reality is the exact opposite. This situation was handled horribly and over dramatized doing the hobby no favors. I would expect this from animal planet not abtv, im very disappointed. Opinions? Wrestling A 16ft Python : Kamp Kenan : AnimalByte…: http://youtu.be/H-ydcYagqtA

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Re: Horrible way to handle. Opinions?

I'm at work so I had to watch with no volume. They didn't say anything like "this snake is super aggressive once we get him out of the cage" or "this is why we're handling him like this..."???

I saw a retic tapped out of food mode with a hook. Treated with respect for about a minute showing that the snake looked super chill and calm. Then it was just grabbed and manhandled and treated like some aggressive monster... Wtf?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Brian needs to pull that Moron from his channel.... plain and simple...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If you actually pay attention to the video you'll hear them discussing the fact that the last time the owner took that snake out he got nailed and the sucker almost killed him. The owner repeatedly states that it is not a tame animal.

Granted, it may have been possible to handle that snake without pinning its head. But that was a snake noone in that room trusted. If you don't trust an animal that size, its probably safest for everyone involved, the snake included, to restrain the animal.

Kenan isn't a python guy, and neither was anyone else in that video as far as I can tell. Put a couple guys with a ton of experience working with retics in that room and they probably approach the situation differently. But if you've got a huge, untame animal and no experts around isnt it best to take the safest approach? I think so.

Kenan is also probably my favorite of the new AnimalBytesTV guys. He clearly sets the bar for his reptile husbandry way higher than most people, which is admirable.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CryHavoc17 For This Useful Post:

HVani (08-21-2014),nucklehead97 (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CryHavoc17 View Post
    If you actually pay attention to the video you'll hear them discussing the fact that the last time the owner took that snake out he got nailed and the sucker almost killed him. The owner repeatedly states that it is not a tame animal.

Granted, it may have been possible to handle that snake without pinning its head. But that was a snake noone in that room trusted. If you don't trust an animal that size, its probably safest for everyone involved, the snake included, to restrain the animal.

Kenan isn't a python guy, and neither was anyone else in that video as far as I can tell. Put a couple guys with a ton of experience working with retics in that room and they probably approach the situation differently. But if you've got a huge, untame animal and no experts around isnt it best to take the safest approach? I think so.

Kenan is also probably my favorite of the new AnimalBytesTV guys. He clearly sets the bar for his reptile husbandry way higher than most people, which is admirable.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2
    Lol "if you actually pay attention" your funny. I don't care what the animal did in the past, every interaction is different and that was a non aggressive animal. If as you said no one in that room is a "python guy" they have no business caring for that snake. The owner talks about never having the snake out completely since it was a hatchling, this is simply someone that has no business owning the animal. You can like this guy all you want, this video and his behavior in it is doing the hobby a huge disservice.
    Last edited by Rob; 08-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

charlessxe (08-21-2014),jclaiborne (08-21-2014),Marrissa (08-23-2014),Reptile Frenzy (10-19-2014),Wes (08-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Come on, they said it was not a nice animal. The owner had a nasty run in with it. Worst bite he ever took. Kept on saying it had a bad attitude. Guess it would of been better he tagged someone. Not every one has the balls to dance with an animal like that. They did what they felt they had to do, according to that snakes history.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

CryHavoc17 (08-21-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I saw a retic tapped out of food mode with a hook. Treated with respect for about a minute showing that the snake looked super chill and calm. Then it was just grabbed and manhandled and treated like some aggressive monster... Wtf?
    Exactly. Videos like this portraying retics as uncontrollable monsters are why we have to worry about having our animals taken from us.

Thanks
    I watched it and was shocked. I also had the volume off but reading through the comments under the post I saw one by Kamp Kenan "He was fine until he realized he was being moved out of the room...then he really started to show his strength. This snake is a known biter and I had to keep his head restrained during the moving process" Maybe it is typically aggressive?
    1.0 Bumblebee (Sheldon)
    1.0 Enchi (Jaxon)
    1.0 Phantom (Leonard)
    1.1 Pastel Het Genetic Stripe(Clyde+Bonnie)
    0.1 LemonBlast (Dottie)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Cindy)
    0.1 Pied (Pissy)
    0.1 Phantom (Priya)
    0.1 Butter (Bernadette)
    0.1 Lesser (Penny)
    0.1 Pastel (Ivy)
    0.1 Normal (Amy)
    1.0 Boxer (Rocky)
    1.0 Sugarglider (Oreo)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I watched it - with sound. The snake may or may not have needed such force. What was somewhat unnecessary was the Reality TV style 'OH MAN WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE DUDE' attitude. There could have been more of a 'this animal is scared and we want to make this as minimally stressful as possible because he is powerful' versus ' OHHHHH LETS SCREAM IN ITS FACE AND FALL TO OUR KNEES!!!' I feel extremely confident that if Brian was the one in this position, he would have approached it by talking about the snake's fear, stress, and respect for its power. Not 'IM WRASTLIN' A DINO!'

Agreed Rob. A little over the top, unnecessary, and definitely not doing Retics any favors int he hobby.

It is what it is though. The reality is that many people end up int his guys shoes... they get a hatchling and don't realize how wild they can be as they grow. One bad move and a bad bite and now you feel it's necessary to handle an animal like this to keep yourself safe. Not good for the snake or the people.
    Last edited by MrLang; 08-21-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (08-24-2014),kiasyd (08-22-2014),Marrissa (08-23-2014),MonkeyShuttle (08-22-2014),Rob (08-21-2014),Wes (08-21-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Lol "if you actually pay attention" your funny. I don't care what the animal did in the past, every interaction is different and that was a non aggressive animal. If as you said no one in that room is a "python guy" they have no business caring for that snake. The owner talks about never having the snake out completely since it was a hatchling, this is simply someone that has no business owning the animal. You can like this guy all you want, this video and his behavior in it is doing the hobby a huge disservice.
    Agreed 100%. If the guy is in over his head then he needs to realize that, he has no business caring for that snake. On a side note I was also a little disappointed with this weeks SnakeBytes episode as well, Brian built up PP like it was an amazing facility. I have been to the "reptile zoo", the husbandry is terrible, the facility is filthy, most of the repitles on display had mites there are always ants and other bugs climbing in the enclosure and on the animals themselves, the cages are way too small, the staff giving out info was not knowledgeable and they are quick to tell you that the animals on display are also for sale, the list goes on. Even my son who is 6 knew enough to say, "these cages are way too small, all the animals look sick". As an example they had 2 adult rhino iguanas in a tiny (I believe it was a 4x2x2 may have been a 6x2x2) melamine and glass cage and that theme tracked through the entire "zoo". If you spend 10 minutes searching for reviews online you see years and years of the same complaints.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Rob (08-21-2014)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast