Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

2 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally getting started! Slowly but surely.

So a few year ago I had a co-worker who was getting into the ball python breeding hobby and got me wrapped into it. He agreed to hold a couple of females for me, as I was living in government housing and they would not allow anything other than fish (20 gallons or less) in the dorms :/ I did keep one of my girls in my room though, managed to hide her by putting her tub underneath my fish tank stand so it looked like it was just fish supply storage. She was super sweet (would let me pet her head) and super cool (she once ate a mouse while wrapped around my wrist!), and she was exactly what I was looking for in a Lesser.

Eventually it all went downhill, though. I felt bad for having someone take care of my animals, and when they got orders to another base I had nowhere to keep my snakes (I couldn't hide 4 snakes in a single bedroom :/). So I ended up selling them all (even my sweet Ellipsis, which I still regret to this day). Then, when I finally got permission to move out of the dorms, the apartment manager told me absolutely no snakes/exotic pets allowed :/ So here I've stayed, reptile-less for over two years...

But come 20 August that all ends! I'll be moving to Panama City in mid-August, and my husband has agreed to let me keep a few snakes! He's not entirely sold on the breeding aspect, but then again he is also convinced that they are going to stink up the entire house. I've agreed to keep it small, so I'm trying to maximize my options. I've already picked out my 3 females, and next year I'll be searching for my 2 males.

Unfortunately I won't get them until after I move :/ so I only have to pictures provided by the breeders. I was going to wait until after they were all settled in before I posted this thread, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on the girls and see if anyone wanted to add any input on my future breeding plans. Once they are in an settled, I plan on updating the thread with pictures of my own.

Please note that all pictures below were produced by the Breeder/Seller, which will be listed next to each animal.

RECESSIVE PROJECT:
    Planned Male: Albino 100% Het Pied

2014 Female Pied 100% Het Albino purchased from Steve Winkler (Website)

Pieds are my all time favorite morph! And I absolutely love how they look when mixed with albino! I'm hoping that maybe one day I might be able to purchase a Clown Pied or Albino Clown to pair with an Albino Pied (when/if ever I produce one). Maybe luck will be on my side and I'll hit the Albino Clown Pied before I die from old age

DOM/CO-DOM PROJECT
    Planned Male: Pastel-Mojave-Yellowbelly (give or take the Pastel)

2013 Female Dragonfly (Pastel-Fire-Pinstripe) purchased from Precision Pythons (Facebook Page)

2014 Female GHI Female purchased through Ben Siegel Reptiles (Facebook Page)

I think the male choice compliments these two nicely. I don't think there is a single combination that I don't just absolutely adore! Pastel on the male would be a bonus, but honestly I don't think I'd be upset if I knocked myself out of producing Pastel GHIs

I'll have temporary tubs set up so I can put each of them in separate rooms of the house (just in case one of them is carrying anything nasty) and then I will be moving them into a RhinoRaXX rack system (exact model found here) produced by Boaphile Plastics. Best part about these are that they come already assembled and ready to plug in, and if somehow I convince my husband to let me expand, they are stackable! Is there anyone out there that has any experience with these racks that can give me any feedback? I haven't found anything negative on them, other than the wait time to get them shipped (3-5 weeks I believe), but that's not an issue for me since it'll be 3 months before I'll even need it.

I look forward to hearing what advice/tips/feedback y'all might be willing to provide!

<333 Insane

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Insane For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-29-2014),AlexisFitzy (07-29-2014),Eric Alan (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

If you're husbandry and patience skills are even remotely close to your eye for quality snakes and planning ability, I can't wait to see what you produce a few years down the road.

Welcome (back) to the site!
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 07-29-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

zachbinger (07-29-2014)

Thanks

Re: Finally getting started! Slowly but surely.

You got the GHI that Ben had either yesterday or the day before nice score

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post

If you're husbandry and patience skills are even remotely close to your eye for quality snakes and planning ability, I can't wait to see what you produce a few years down the road.

Welcome (back) to the site!
    Thanks so much! I always get so overwhelmed when trying to plan out my breeding goals. It's really hard to choose between all the amazing combinations, but in the end I think I'll be happy with whatever comes out of this matchup

Quote Originally Posted by zachbinger View Post
    You got the GHI that Ben had either yesterday or the day before nice score
    Yep! I saw her on the list when he posted the BIN listing and knew I had to go for it. I've loved the GHI since they were first proved out, so I'm excited that I get to add this girl to my breeding plans Loving the Mojave GHIs!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    Thanks so much! I always get so overwhelmed when trying to plan out my breeding goals. It's really hard to choose between all the amazing combinations, but in the end I think I'll be happy with whatever comes out of this matchup

Yep! I saw her on the list when he posted the BIN listing and knew I had to go for it. I've loved the GHI since they were first proved out, so I'm excited that I get to add this girl to my breeding plans Loving the Mojave GHIs!
    Yea I've been watching for a while I got 2 balls and a Tarantula from Ben great ppl and even better animals. I can't praise them enough they are holding a snake I bought but ended up having to have emergency surgery and couldn't pay my shipping till I start getting my short term checks.

Thanks
    Looks like youre on the right path with your planning not much I would change personally
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

Thanks

Well that escalated quickly...

So BHB ended up having that "Make an offer day" and I figured... eh, What the heck. They have a female I want and there is no way they are gonna take me up on my offer anyways, so what harm can it do?

.... Well they did take my offer So my Recessive Project is gonna have a little bit of a change up. (Wanted to edit my original post with the update, but it doesn't appear to be an option :C)

My new Planned male will be a Pied 100% Albino (this way I'll only produce Pieds or Albino Pied with my Pied Het Albino female) so I can pair him with...

My 2013 Female Albino Clown! Produced by BHB Reptiles (Website)

Pictures below were provided by BHB Reptiles
    Hatchling Pic:

Most Current Pic:

Husband is not to happy and is sticking with the "No more than 5" stipulation, but I'm sure I can convince him to let me get the 2 males I want in time So best case scenario I'll produce Albinos 100% DH Clown Pied, and worse case scenario I'll produce Triple Het Albino Clown Pieds. But hey, at least this jumps my Triple recessive project up by a few years

Since my target number has changed to 6 breeders, I've also decided to change from the RhinoRaXX rack to an Animal Plastics Economy rack (the price jump from 5 to 6 shelves for the Boaphile was just too much when compared the the AP). I've also decided I'll be getting a Herpstat-2 thermostat to regulate my heat tape. That way I can run my breeder rack and then plug in the Hatchling rack when needed.

I've also already started setting up my records. I'll probably be making some changes as I go, but for now I can't really think of what else to add.

So yeah, I'm officially DONE with buying snakes... this year at least. Can't wait for the end of the month when I'll have them all in house and set up. Gonna be challenging sticking with the quarantine process, since now I'm gonna have 4 snakes all in different parts of the house
    Last edited by Insane; 08-07-2014 at 10:25 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Insane For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (08-29-2014),zachbinger (08-08-2014)

Thanks

Awesome

Thanks

You'll have to think of me when you start getting clutches

Thanks
    I wish i lived in the states sometimes with the qulity and price of snakes there!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast