Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,861

2 members and 3,859 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Has RP been slacking?

We have been getting rats from RP for some years now and it seems like in the last year the rats have been getting smaller and smaller. From the XXX's down. Has anyone else noticed this? OK,, Im up for suggestions, who can beat them, AND has stock available when you need it?
    Here is a comparison pic of small (left) V/S weaned (right). If Im paying for small, I expect small,, otherwise I will just order twice the amount of weaned and not get charged for the "small" price....

Thanks
    I've only purchased pups once from Rp they shipped out and everything fine, but they're just thrown in the bags and some seemed small to me. I didn't weigh any to see if they were in the wt range they have on their site.

I just ordered from Big Cheese Rodent Factory prices are comparable (I think the same) as Rp, I ordered on a Sun got them Thurs they're vacuum packed and look appropriately sized. I'll definitely order from them again.
    Last edited by tlich; 07-27-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    Tommy

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlich For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (07-27-2014),mr.spooky (07-27-2014)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Re: Has RP been slacking?

Quote Originally Posted by tlich View Post
    I've only purchased pups once from Rp they shipped out and everything fine, but they're just thrown in the bags and some seemed small to me. I didn't weigh any to see if they were in the wt range they have on their site.

I just ordered from Big Cheese Rodent Factory prices are comparable (I think the same) as Rp, I ordered on a Sun got them Thurs they're vacuum packed and look appropriately sized. I'll definitely order from them again.
    I agree with this. RP has awesome customer service and I ordered from them once but my snakes didn't really like the rats I also hate how they are packaged. Some swear by RP and others have sworn them off forever. I prefer Big Cheese Rodent Factory. They rats are always super clean, vacuum packed, the sizes are always spot on and I weigh all if my rats they are always within the proper range for the size. I think the price may be around the same since RP shipping is pretty freaking high. But if Big Cheese is more expensive I'd still give them a try. Once you buy from them you don't really ever want to go back.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexisFitzy For This Useful Post:

mr.spooky (07-27-2014),tlich (07-27-2014)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    The "size" is more by weight than looks. What are the weights of your two examples?
    This is usually what gets arguments started when people ask what size to feed.

Just to give you an idea

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-27-2014),mr.spooky (07-27-2014),tlich (07-27-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    The "size" is more by weight than looks. What are the weights of your two examples?
    This is why I made sure I said I didn't weigh them, they most likely were the correct size, maybe 8-10 "appeared" small. The packaging and overall look from Big Cheese is great though, I agree I'd pay more for them.
    Tommy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tlich For This Useful Post:

mr.spooky (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Nope, unless you specify, it sure seems you get the bottom of their spec. They are IN spec, but they are on the low end. I have to specifically add comments to ensure I get rabbits above 3lb on my mediums (2-4lb) since the time before last all but 1 was under 2.1 lb. . . they had a BOI on fauna about this not long back. As long as you put in the comments to ensure the larger end of their range be honored, they will generally get you a better medium to slightly over medium weight distribution. Otherwise, its probably going to be the smallest for the most.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

mr.spooky (07-27-2014),tlich (07-27-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post

Just to give you an idea

Ill weigh them in a day or so to see,, but I know for a fact that their smaller than they use to be. Maybe they are pulling them from the bottom of the weight thresholds but their noticeably smaller. As far as the way their packed, I don't care too much.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Im planning on giving perfectprey.com a shot on my next order. Its a new online feeder business launched by the Galoway's of Loxahatchee Herp Hatchery. Great guys to do business with for snakes so im assuming the rodents will be the same way. Prices for rodents and shipping are on par with the other sites

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CryHavoc17 View Post
    Im planning on giving perfectprey.com a shot on my next order. Its a new online feeder business launched by the Galoway's of Loxahatchee Herp Hatchery. Great guys to do business with for snakes so im assuming the rodents will be the same way. Prices for rodents and shipping are on par with the other sites

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2
    Loxahatchee has been selling rodents for quite some time very successfully. They get recommended on here all of the time (LoxahatcheeRodents.com). PerfectPrey.com feels like a relaunch in order for them to differentiate their herp business from their feeder business. Bill and crew are great people and when I lived closer to Florida, they were my go to company for frozen feeders.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

CryHavoc17 (07-28-2014),mr.spooky (07-28-2014)

Thanks

I have weighed them, and found them to be quite inconsistent. From RP and Big Cheese I've had numerous smalls in the 30 gram range and weaned rats that most definately fit the bill for pups. However, I did really like the service and packaging from big cheese, although both seem to be having some pricing difficulties lately. I too am considering perfect prey for my next order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast