Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

1 members and 3,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is It Possible To Make a Profit in 4 Years?

Quote Originally Posted by CapeFearConstrictors View Post
    I started investing heavily in 2011. I'm still in the red but expect by the end of 2015 to be in the black by a decent amount.

It's not easy. Right now I'm spending about 15-20 hours a week taking care of 200 animals. Juggling a full time job and a family along with the snakes is exhausting but working with the animals is so rewarding that it's worth it. Don't get into this thinking it's easy money. A few get lucky but most of us have to put a lot of blood, sweat and tears and years to make our businesses successful.
    You must never sit down during the day! I guess I would have to go all out if I wanted to really make a business. Breeding a few snakes is just a hobby and that's what I want do. I was hoping to make a little money, but that's okay because I'll be doing what I love and I don't need to make money off of it. Thanks for the help! Also, I love your Youtube videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Without disclosing numbers, I'm living/breathing proof you can profit quite a bit in less than 4 years.

I wouldn't say it's easy, but you can be as great as you want to be. I wouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to majorleaguereptiles For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-24-2014),Black Hills Reptiles (03-02-2015),OctagonGecko729 (07-22-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguereptiles View Post
    Without disclosing numbers, I'm living/breathing proof you can profit quite a bit in less than 4 years.

I wouldn't say it's easy, but you can be as great as you want to be. I wouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Yeah, most definitely. It amazes me the amount of negativity that comes up when people mention making money in BP's.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wideglide View Post
    Yeah, most definitely. It amazes me the amount of negativity that comes up when people mention making money in BP's.
    Its not negativity, its the truth.
    It depends where you start in the game.
    Starting like most people in the real world with single gene and normal its not easy.
    Now there are several breeders that I know that have bought their way into the game, if you can drop a huge amount of cash on what is rare and hot this year then yeas it is possible BUT I am not the type of guy to blow smoke up peoples butt.
    This is not the get rich quick hobby unless you were there to start with.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Darkbird (08-25-2014),Shadera (07-22-2014),TheSnakeGeek (07-22-2014)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    3rd season and we're in the black already.

Depends on how you set yourself up for the road ahead that will help determine how soon you can be profitable. You will probably have to take some calculated risks to get there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-24-2014),OctagonGecko729 (07-22-2014)

Thanks

It's a saturated market. You have to have a plan to differentiate yourself. Right now it's akin to entering the TV or soft drink market space. If you are not getting in on a brand new cutting edge project, what is your hook?

Also I notice some people going all in and buying like it's 5-6 years ago, for example there is this one woman I notice when I check the auction sites and she is buying single gene Pastels and Pinstripes in the 100-200 gram range etc. in quantity...stuff like that.

As a buyer and hobbiest, I don't care if I ever make a penny, I love snakes, I love morph breeding. I want to buy from a seller that clearly and concisely represents their animals with current photos and has an up to date organized listing of available animals, I've called BIG breeders with animals listed on their site that sold months ago, big turn off. Also I am only buying from breeders that list either shipped prices or a reasonable flat rate shipping price that is easy to find on the site.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransack For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (07-22-2014)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wideglide View Post
    Seems like you are mistaken negativity and fact, I myself said it was possible to do so in 4 years (Even though I do not do this for a living I do make a profit each year)

Now answers were based on the specific questions

Quote Originally Posted by BPavery View Post
    Is it possible to make a profit in only four years with a couple males and a few females?
    Quote Originally Posted by BPavery View Post
    So I was thinking about getting two or three multi gene males (Lesser Bee, Pewter, BEL, Lemonblast) and breeding them to some mature single gene females
    If you know the market (flooded with single and lower double genes animals) and you breed Ball Pythons then you should know that making a profit with those specific animals by the time something hatches out and after deducting all the cost will just not happen.

To make a profit you need to make a sizeable investment and chose animals wisely.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-22-2014)

Thanks

It costs no more to house a $20000 BP than it does a $200 BP. There is a point where everything you breed will pretty much be profit. Figure that out and go from there. Not rocket science.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wideglide For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-24-2014)

Thanks
    Brant, thank you for your post of inspiration. I see this attitude of impossibility in everything from ball python breeding to corporate promotions. Some people can DO things and some don't...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

majorleaguereptiles (07-27-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you can't make a profit from breeding your reptiles after 4 years, you are doing everything wrong.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast