Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

0 members and 3,376 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Constrictors NW / EcoZone build

Hello again.

Thought I'd post a follow up to the questions I asked in http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...Mussurana-Home.

I decided to get a 4'x2' cage that will be my Mussurana's home until she out grows it. When that time comes I'll most likely need to build my own. I haven't seen much on here about ConNW's cages so I thought I'd post some photos up. On their recommendation I got a radiant heat panel from Pro Products. For a controller/thermostat I went with an ECO400s from EcoZone. If you're unfamiliar with EcoZone, check them out. They've got a ton of cool features like realistic light cycles, lunar cycles, humidity control, Temp alarms, mist timers, and so on. Sure it's overkill for most setups, but with this build I wanted to remove as much human error as possible. I only have two snakes, and she's in my living room so I wanted it to be aesthetically pleasing as well as good for Her. Here is my progress so far, it's still a work in progress so consider the current decor temporary.

I like the construction of the cage. Its marine grade HDPE, UV and stain resistant. Its held together with dovetail joints and some screws.

The EcoZone unit has an internal fan that is louder than I would like. Although it has rubber feet, it still transmits vibrations, and thus can be heard in the enclosure. I'll need to mount it some where else. The towel underneath is to try and isolate it some more. The towel in the back is to keep my girlfriend's cockatiel from chewing on the wires. The enclosure comes with two small vents in the rear panel. I used those to run my wires for the two sensors and the power cord for the RHP. The panel is held up with two bolts. I used safety wire and drilled through the cage to hold the cords down. I've already found and issue with my sensor routing. The hot side sensor is heat and humidity, I attached it to the floor under the substrate. The cool side sensor is temp only. I should not have put the hot sensor under the substrate. The humidity reading doesn't represent the ambient (duh). And I've learned the RHP heat isn't very penetrating. when my sensor is reading 84deg the ambient can be as much as 10deg more. I'll need to move the hot side sensor to a location similar to the cool side. Live and learn.

That gnarly dragon is actually an aquarium bubbler. Its hollow inside so I'm going to route fogger through the inside of it and wire LED(s) inside. I'm not sure if I'll program that for a humidity control or more likely a timed interval, or possibly just turn it on when I want to. I'm going to build a separate water feature that will have a small waterfall and a good size water area. I'll share as that comes along.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do for day/night lighting. The EcoZone unit uses dimming much like a wall dimmer, so most LED stuff wouldn't work. I've seen 25w blue night lighting. I may use that in hopes it won't heat the enclosure too much, hopefully at all. for day light I'd like to provide some UV light. Its not needed as she's nocturnal, but I still want to provided some. I may also put a live plant or two in there. Dimmable UV lighting that doesn't put off a lot of heat seems to leave me with florescent lighting, but dimmable ballasts aren't cheap. And again, most LEDs don't work with wall dimmers. The ECO500 can dim one output of leds. I'm considering adding a small fresh air fan that will run on a short, intermittent interval, we'll see.

I can't think of anything else, Thanks for checking it out.
    Listen to Tom Waits

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nic Bednarz For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-08-2014),Gio (06-08-2014),Shann (08-07-2014),Zach Cedor (06-08-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Constrictors NW / EcoZone build

Actually there is a lot about those cages. It depends if you call them Pro-Line cages or Constrictors NW cages in the search.

I did this writeup last year and have a new custom built cage coming this week.

Here is the link for the thread on this site.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...=proline+cages

I'd love to hear about your Mussarana as I'd considered looking into them at one point.

They sound very cool.

Also, Shann has been using these cages for a while and likes them.
    Last edited by Gio; 06-08-2014 at 04:27 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Shann (08-07-2014)

Thanks

Your write up was one of the ones that helped me decide, so thank you. I did a lot of google searching and ended up all over the place, not just here. Most of what came up was elsewhere, mostly boa forums.

I only keep two snakes, my Mussurana and a Ball. She, my mussurana, is a really awesome snake. Rather active for a nocturnal species. At times curious and inquisitive. And an excellent feeding response! I only feed her f/. Once see picks up the scent, she'll follow that mouse across the whole enclosure or out of it. I haven't fed her a snake, but have been tempted to pick up say an african house snake to eat, probably never will though. Only draw back I see is that she's nocturnal. After I had my ball a while, I told myself my next snake would be diurnal... Oh well.
    Last edited by Nic Bednarz; 06-15-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    Listen to Tom Waits

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nic Bednarz For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-28-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nic Bednarz View Post
    Your write up was one of the ones that helped me decide, so thank you. I did a lot of google searching and ended up all over the place, not just here. Most of what came up was elsewhere, mostly boa forums.

I only keep two snakes, my Mussurana and a Ball. She, my mussurana, is a really awesome snake. Rather active for a nocturnal species. At times curious and inquisitive. And an excellent feeding response! I only feed her f/. Once see picks up the scent, she'll follow that mouse across the whole enclosure or out of it. I haven't fed her a snake, but have been tempted to pick up say an african house snake to eat, probably never will though. Only draw back I see is that she's nocturnal. After I had my ball a while, I told myself my next snake would be diurnal... Oh well.
    I'd love to hear an update on your snakes. I hope the setup is working out well too.

Thanks

Hey bud any updates?

I really am curious about the snakes you keep.

"Listen to Tom Waits"

BARFLY, the movie has a lot of Tom.

Thanks
    Love your set up! I picked the constrictors NW cage for the same reasons. I'm using a proproducts rhp (love it) as well. Not meaning to detract from your thread, but I want to promote Ed's cages as much as possible, because I absolutely adore mine. This is my setup for my boa.

-Shann

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shann For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Shann,,

You got the background! Very nice looking piece to boot!

What was that one (background) called?

I may add one to the other cage for fun.