Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,428

2 members and 3,426 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Boa growth question

My 1.0 RTB was born on June 6, 2012. He is still growing steadily - at what point will he reach is full size? I know he will grow slowly forever, but there comes a point when he reaches his full adult size... when? He is currently 45"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    They really never do. A boa will continue to grow throughout its entire life. They do drastically slow down at roughly 3-4 years of age, but they never really stop growing. If you are wondering about how big your snake should be before breeding, I like to see a female at least as big around as a 20oz bottle of soda but still lean and muscular. I also prefer to wait until the female is 4-5 years old. Condition is far more important than overall size, so long as she isn't TOO small. Males can be smaller/younger. I would wait for the boys to be about 3 yrs old though.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Rickys_Reptiles (04-25-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

Re: Boa growth question

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    They really never do. A boa will continue to grow throughout its entire life. They do drastically slow down at roughly 3-4 years of age, but they never really stop growing. If you are wondering about how big your snake should be before breeding, I like to see a female at least as big around as a 20oz bottle of soda but still lean and muscular. I also prefer to wait until the female is 4-5 years old. Condition is far more important than overall size, so long as she isn't TOO small. Males can be smaller/younger. I would wait for the boys to be about 3 yrs old though.
    Interesting about the 20oz soda bottle reference. According to that my early 2011 lipstick sunglow would easily be breed able next season. That sounds crazy to me. I feel like she needs to be much thicker to breed!

I have a 2012 female motley that is a tad over 3 foot, but I think she is a slower grower, compared to friends of mine who have 2012s almost a whole foot longer and twice as thick!
    ~Marissa~

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. He is just our pet, so not planning on breeding. More just curious how large he will get. I am hoping that he gets a bit bigger, so if they only slow down around 3 thats great. still another solid year of growth to go!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa@MKmorphs View Post
    Interesting about the 20oz soda bottle reference. According to that my early 2011 lipstick sunglow would easily be breed able next season. That sounds crazy to me. I feel like she needs to be much thicker to breed!

I have a 2012 female motley that is a tad over 3 foot, but I think she is a slower grower, compared to friends of mine who have 2012s almost a whole foot longer and twice as thick!
    Just because she is that thick doesn't mean she's ready. 2011 is a little early - she'd only be 3yrs old for this season. I generally prefer my females to be more like 4-5 years old before breeding. Size is not the deciding factor.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

Yeah I don't even have a boy for her, so it would definitely be a few years at least! She is pretty lean too, which I am proud of. I see a lot of people who feed boas like BPs :/
    ~Marissa~

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa@MKmorphs View Post
    She is pretty lean too, which I am proud of. I see a lot of people who feed boas like BPs :/
    I see that a lot too. :/ Mine are all nice and lean and muscular too. I have no plans to breed them though. Op, I would say by 4 yo growth should slow down significantly.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Rickys_Reptiles (04-28-2014)

Thanks

Mines only about 2 and a half months old lol. So I'm excited to watch her grow. Hissed at me today though 😥

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk