Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,454

4 members and 3,450 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

what would you choose?

I'm considering getting a pure Kalatoa super dwarf male retic breeder(long term captive, 4-6 yrs old) for $700 or a pure Cyclops mountain locale chondro (5-6 month old dark red neonate, dad is neon green with bright blue dorsal markings, mom is a turquoiseish green color) for $900. What would you choose? I don't know if I'll actually get either one, just considering.
    Last edited by TurkeyPython; 04-14-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
    Hi my friend are you from Turkey ?

Thanks
    I've heard the pure dwarfs can be flighty and hard to handle...But chondros aren't a walk in the park either. If you trust both breeders (i.e. you know you'll get what you pay for) then I'd go with the one you want the most and is the least available...i.e. if pure dwarfs are more common, get the chondro, or vice-versa.

I'd personally go for the chondro, but that's just what I like looks-wise.

Good luck whichever you choose. It will be a long time before I can convince myself (and my husband) to put down that much money on a snake.

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Re: what would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by furciferpardalis View Post
    Hi my friend are you from Turkey ?
    Nope. It's part of a joke about my snake. She's a butter ball python, butterball is a turkey. thus, Turkey python.
    Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I've heard the pure dwarfs can be flighty and hard to handle...But chondros aren't a walk in the park either. If you trust both breeders (i.e. you know you'll get what you pay for) then I'd go with the one you want the most and is the least available...i.e. if pure dwarfs are more common, get the chondro, or vice-versa.

I'd personally go for the chondro, but that's just what I like looks-wise.

Good luck whichever you choose. It will be a long time before I can convince myself (and my husband) to put down that much money on a snake.
    My problem is that I like and want both equally but I don't want to get two right now. I'm petty sure pure kataloas are rarer but the baby green tree will be fabulous as an adult and I prefer to get mutt snakes as babys, for various reasons, but I also just LOVE how normal retics look, I'm just not quite ready for a giant yet. Really, right now it's more about what's more worth the money being asked.

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Auto correct changed my snakes to "mutt snakes".

Thanks
    I too have an ongoing dislike of autocorrect..It's confused many relatives of mine when I text them.

Now more on topic... I don't have personal experience with either, so I can't tell you which would be a better deal. That said, knowing how flighty / angsty retics can be and superdwarfs even more so.... If it was me, I'd go with the green tree. However, the price seems a little high to me (again, NO GTP experience) so unless it's a super rare locality or from awesome lines that are hard to come by, I'd think you could still get a great looking one at a lower price. Would you mind telling me what breeder you are looking at acquiring it from? I'm just curious (if they have a website) to see what the adults look like.. They must be stunning if he/she wants that much for a baby.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Sounds OP for the SD pure, you can get a baby pure male for under 400, and most people will sell retired male breeder pure SD for around 500-600 tops. I've seen them go slightly cheaper. Superdwarf will give you a funner experience. My thoughts with chondros is that they are nice, beautiful snakes, but they are a display animal. They stress with handling with most individuals (but not all), and most tend to be on the aggressive side of things. . . On contrast . . . SD retics are very handable, but you need to be prepared for a wicked feeding response, bites can be nasty, and they love to Pee and Flee... Think of the fastest wildest corn snake you have ever handled, then triple it and add twice as many teeth, and make it a lot more intelligent. Now you're thinking about the lines of a SD retic. FWIW
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (04-17-2014),DooLittle (04-16-2014),OsirisRa32 (04-16-2014)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

http://www.viridispython.com/green-tree-python-for-sale GTP-I'm looking at 08, 12, or 16.(the dam is hormonal blue in the picture on this page. Check the collection page for her regular colors, I'm pretty sure she's the one in the first picture under females)
    The retic Is a normal SD from Vital exotics.he's around 5ft.
    Last edited by TurkeyPython; 04-16-2014 at 10:27 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    if I was to get a sd for that price from VE I would go with this guy for 750 http://www.vitalexotics.com/2014-dwa...ulated-python/
    0.1 dumerils boa 2012 "Rocky" 0.1 Arabesque bci "freckles"
    1.0 guyana bcc 2009 "Diablo" 1.0 Kahl Albino bci "Spyro
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nick654377 For This Useful Post:

OsirisRa32 (04-16-2014)

Thanks
    Those are nice looking GTPs...Now I know why you're so conflicted lol. Based on what reptileexperts said, the SD retic doesn't sound like as good of a deal. As Nick54377 said, you could get a baby super dwarf retic for about the same amount and possibly get a morph (if you want one). I guess it really comes down to what you want. GTPs are known to be not very handlable, so I guess that could be your deciding factor...Do you want it as more of a display animal or a handlable one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast