Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,718

3 members and 2,715 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,572
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Would Name infringe on Copyright?

So, I'm playing with this I'm-gonna-start-a-reptile-business-and-live-my-dream kick, but the name of the "reptile business" would be GnC Reptiles. The letters are based off of my name and my sister's, but many of you may be familiar with the supplement company GNC. Now that is their abbreviation, not necessarily their full name, but that is how they are recognized. The "N" is a different case with Reptiles at the end, so it's a completely different business (obviously). I just want to know if there would be any issues with the name if we do grow, so I'd like to change it now before too many people know the name. What I'm asking is can I keep the name, and/or is there a website or link that provides information regarding this information? Thank you very much in advance

Thanks
    I just received my doctorate in business administration and I would say that you are pushing a limit. If your business never gets very big and they never hear about you, it probably will never raise and eyelash, but if you go big, you are in for a fight.
    LadyByrd
    1.1 normal bp
    3.0 humans (lol )
    0.1 german shepherd/blue heeler
    1.0 Rotty/lab/border collie

Thanks
    Thanked 9,876 Times in 4,784 Posts
    GNC is their trademark, not a copyright.

If you are concerned then call yourselves CnG instead. The acronym is either for compressed natural gas or something for cryptography, neither of which is going to be confused with a reptile business.

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MorphMaster (03-22-2014)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    This is not legal advice.....

Under legal advice to me, I put my full legal name in front of the registered business name on my Class III license, EIN and SunBiz, so officially CD Constrictors, LLC is:

Corey DeLong's CD Constrictors, LLC

Same with my lawn business.... Royal Cuts Lawn Service, LLC is:

Corey DeLong's Royal Cuts Lawn Service, LLC

You could easily do something similar on your registered business name and use GnC as a trade name, or maybe G'n'C.

In Florida when you register your business name on SunBiz they do a search to see if the business name is already taken. It is highly unlikely that someone would have the same business name with your full legal name in front of it.....

It does get sticky though. Remember years ago when the WWF (World Wrestling Federation) was forced to change their name because the World Wildlife Fund (also WWF) took them to litigation? OTOH, if I "coined" myself as CDC (Corey DeLong's Constrictors, LLC), I don't think the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would come trolling after me.... lol!!

Just some thoughts.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (04-05-2014),Mike41793 (03-20-2014),MorphMaster (03-22-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You could go with G&C.
    Casey