Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

2 members and 3,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

UTH installation

Hey everyone, I bought a UTH and I have thermometer with a probe that was given to me. Does the probe for the thermometer go in-between the UTH and the bottom of my terrarium? Or between the surface the terrarium is on and the bottom of the UTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thermometer or thermostat? The thermometer probe should be under the substrate inside the tank, while the thermostat probe should be between the bottom of the enclosure and the UTH.

Running a UTH without a thermostat runs an exponentially high risk of burns, so invest in one right away if you haven't yet.

Sent from my water bowl using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

martin82531 (12-14-2013)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Both probes for the stat and thermometer can go between the mat and glass.
    What thermostat are you using??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

EntertheWutang (12-14-2013)

Thanks

UTH installation

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Both probes for the stat and thermometer can go between the mat and glass.
    What thermostat are you using??
    I got it all running! and I'm using a zoo med UTH and a zilla thermostat and a zoo med thermometer to test the surface temps

Banned
    Thanks
    The probe for the zilla thermostat is way to big to place between tank and mat. Get aluminum tape and tape the pad to the bottom of the tank and tape the probe to the mat it self. Use aluminum foil tape.

run the thermometer inside the tank,dead center of the heat pad. What I did recently,is went out and bought 1/2 length of PVC pipe and 2 90 degree elbows. Cut a piece the height of the tank,then place the elbow on,the cut another piece,the right length so he hen u run the thermometer probe it just makes out to the center of the mat...I'd take a SMALL ,very small piece of aluminum foil tape,make sure the surface is clean dry and tape the probe to the glass. Then cover with substrate. That's how I got my set up and my thermometer probe is very accurate to what my thermostat reads...

the 6' length of PVC and 2 elbows cost me about $7.00
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-14-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: UTH installation

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Thermometer or thermostat? The thermometer probe should be under the substrate inside the tank, while the thermostat probe should be between the bottom of the enclosure and the UTH.

Running a UTH without a thermostat runs an exponentially high risk of burns, so invest in one right away if you haven't yet.

Wu tang,go with exactly what he said^

OP, Putting the thermometer probe between the the matt and tank is pointless,doesn't make sense at all. being I newly own a my first couple of ball pythons for only 4 months,I dont know anything about setting a tank up,,cause it's rocket science...anyway,thermometer probe inside the tank is what you want. Point is,you want to know he temperature of the surface your pet will be laying on,not the bottom/outside of the tank...That's how I look at it.

OP,by the way,my snakes are in there hides 80% of the time and have great sheds and eat like pigs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NYHC4LIFE8899 For This Useful Post:

EntertheWutang (12-14-2013)

Thanks

UTH installation

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post

X2

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

11. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

NYHC4LIFE8899 (12-14-2013)

Thanks

UTH installation

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post

OP, Putting the thermometer probe between the the matt and tank is pointless,doesn't make sense at all. being I newly own a my first couple of ball pythons for only 4 months,I dont know anything about setting a tank up,,cause it's rocket science...anyway,thermometer probe inside the tank is what you want. Point is,you want to know he temperature of the surface your pet will be laying on,not the bottom/outside of the tank...That's how I look at it.

OP,by the way,my snakes are in there hides 80% of the time and have great sheds and eat like pigs.
    that's how I have it set up right now! 😳 but I could fix it no problem, I also got a thermometer and check the surface where the Mat is and it's right where I have it set. I will fix it though! Thank you man it's working great. Ever since I got it set up he hasn't moved from the spot, even at night he did the normal hunt for food around the tank, and then went right to that spot

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EntertheWutang For This Useful Post:

NYHC4LIFE8899 (12-14-2013)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post

And how much of a difference do you think there will be?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    And how much of a difference do you think there will be?
    Probably a whopping 1-2 degrees MAX! With a good digital thermometer. Of coarse this is the same guy that just told the OP to use foil tape inside the tank, when hot glue will work better and is a whole lot safer.
    Last edited by led-zep; 12-14-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast