Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

2 members and 3,143 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: WTF happened? Bad Shed...

I'm sorry....say again........at home tail whatchamean?

Amputation? Of what.....common sense?

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    Silly made up scenarios that don't make sense are not good reasons to not get a thermostat.

Attempting to mock and belittle people who see the value in a thermostat is even sillier.
    I apologize if the post came off that way, I was simply sharing some recent insight. I am afraid I never attempted to mock or belittle anyone, if anything did come off that way though then you have my apology there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    Keep in mind he is also the guy that suggested at home tail amputation... So, seems fitting.
    Yes, I make mistakes, sometimes big ones...but I owned up to it, honestly though I understand if you cannot accredit that, it was a major one; however, for what it's worth, you have (& all other members) my apology once again...I did not rally behind and fully support my fellow members during a time it was greatly needed, in addition to that I over stepped my limits as a hobbyist and for that I cannot apologize enough...regretfully, a fool's apology is all I have to offer though.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    I'm going to just skip over the thermostat "discussion" and get back to the original question, with one caveat. IF you decide to get a thermostat, please make sure that it defaults to the OFF position in the event of a failure. One of the local breeders here just posted some lovely FB pics of their GTP enclosure which was starting to smolder due to a failed Ranco t-stat, if they hadn't had an auto rain system that came on every hour it would have turned into a full on fire.

In the event of a stuck shed, a brief soak in warm water is usually enough to do the trick. Save products like the shed-aid for truly stubborn sheds that are not coming off with multiple soaks. Although the first ingredient in these products is water, they also contain glycerin (glycerol) which softens the skin (which is why you see it in a lot of people soaps). It certainly won't hurt to use it on a less stubborn shed, but there's no sense in using up a product you paid good money for when you don't really need it.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: To the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
    Also, I would suggest AGAINST physically helping to peel off any unshed skin, just in case it is not ready to come off (as you've stated, sometimes it feels as though it is "glued on") but rather soak in water and allow the snake to shed it off themselves.
    Or if it's been on awhile and is becoming more desperate of a situation, such as with a stuck tail, try having the snake slither through a damp cloth in your hands.
    I've done it many times...I can't imagine anyone would be so ham-handed that they actually hurt the snake helping them...then again, maybe I give people too much credit...
    Last edited by sho220; 12-09-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

NYHC4LIFE8899 (12-09-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    agreed, I tested a 7 watt heat mat on a glass tank and the temp got up over 100.
    My 8 watt that's made for 30-40 gallon tank got up to 127 measured with an IR gun and this was just about two days ago when I checked..I have my matts hooked to t stats,just the probe and tape broke free the other night and when I woke up I saw the probe hanging there. Then I checked and removed everything.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post
    I apologize if the post came off that way, I was simply sharing some recent insight. I am afraid I never attempted to mock or belittle anyone, if anything did come off that way though then you have my apology there as well.

Yes, I make mistakes, sometimes big ones...but I owned up to it, honestly though I understand if you cannot accredit that, it was a major one; however, for what it's worth, you have (& all other members) my apology once again...I did not rally behind and fully support my fellow members during a time it was greatly needed, in addition to that I over stepped my limits as a hobbyist and for that I cannot apologize enough...regretfully, a fool's apology is all I have to offer though.
    Please do not send her an apologies.. She rarely ever even offers advice.we all make mistakes man,no biggie bro..you give plenty of good advice around here.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    Please do not send her an apologies.. She rarely ever even offers advice.we all make mistakes man,no biggie bro..you give plenty of good advice around here.
    Yeah, because the advice you give comes from experience... All you do is talk out your butt. I'm not the one that told someone to chop off their snakes tail at home rather than wait for a vet.
    Last edited by DooLittle; 12-10-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Shann (12-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    Yeah, because the advice you give comes from experience... All you do is talk out your butt. I'm not the one that told someone to chop off their snakes tail at home rather than wait for a vet.
    Hey hey hey, come on now.

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

WTF happened? Bad Shed...

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    Yes. You both offer such great advice.

Because giving out vet advice when YOU'RE not a vet, and putting tape in a cage are great ideas!

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar