Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

4 members and 3,344 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Temperature and Humidity advice needed!

Hey guys!

I have had my little girl for a few weeks now and finally got my digital thermometer/hygrometer through the post today! The excitement of this was slightly dulled by learning the humidity is really not reaching what it should be and the cooler end of my viv is getting too cool for my liking. The humidity levels in my actual flat are in the 50's so a little concerning in the difference in my vivarium.

I can't post pictures but I can give you a pretty good description of my set up. I have 1 3ft wooden viv heated by a ceramic bulb and controlled by a habistat pulse proportional thermostat. In the viv itself I have a hide under the bulb and a smaller hide on the cool side. I did have a water bowl in the middle but have since bought another water bowl so I have one on each side to try to boost the humidity! The vivarium is glass fronted and have two vents for ventilation.

Right onto the numbers (I'll be describing temp in degrees calcius, Brit!)

Hot end: Temperature of 32.5 and humidity of 30% (have managed to raise it from 28% in 15 minutes of putting second water bowl in so may rise further)
    Cold end: Temperature of 22.2 and humidity of 47%

As you can see the lower temperature is quite a few degrees lower than it should be, any tips as to raising the humidity to 50-60% and the lower temperature would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    You might want to swap over to (or add) heat from underneath to bump up the cool temp, since you want to be closer to 26-27. I would give it a bit of time before worrying about humidity until after she sheds. I often see humidity recommendations on here that are quite high, but if she's shedding nicely at 47% then there's no need to go higher, it will just encourage mould growth.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's front opening? Do you have vents cut into the back/sides as well as the top? Is the ceramic bulb inside, or is the top open also? What substrate are you using? How often do you spray down the viv?

Thanks
    It is a front opening, it has sliding glass doors on the front of the vivarium. A vent on the back and the side and the ceramic bulb is fitted with a guard on one side. I am using a substrate called Liquocell which is similar to aspen (got it with her although I can't find any mention of this type of substrate online). I haven't yet sprayed although I have bought a spray bottle today and plan to spray once a day if the additional water bowl doesn't help increase humidity. I uploaded a photo into my gallery (not fantastic quality) which shows the rough vivarium before the addition of the second water bowl.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Temperature and Humidity advice needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post
    It is a front opening, it has sliding glass doors on the front of the vivarium. A vent on the back and the side and the ceramic bulb is fitted with a guard on one side. I am using a substrate called Liquocell which is similar to aspen (got it with her although I can't find any mention of this type of substrate online). I haven't yet sprayed although I have bought a spray bottle today and plan to spray once a day if the additional water bowl doesn't help increase humidity. I uploaded a photo into my gallery (not fantastic quality) which shows the rough vivarium before the addition of the second water bowl.
    Wonderful.

Try spraying the enclosure with a bit, NOT A LOT of water. See how it goes. Tomorrow, if you need, spray with more water. You will find spraying the substrate will be the absolute best solution to your problem. Do not make it sopping wet though, as that will create mold.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickys_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Naom9Anne (10-21-2013)