Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,056

4 members and 3,052 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Red tailed green ratsnake

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Keeping a gonyosoma in a terrestrial setup would be just as cruel. Gonyosoma should be kept as a purely arboreal species with lots of branches and foliage, etc. They are much more active that a GTP and make much better use of an arboreal environment.

We use the term ratsnake too loosely. Spilotes are a world apart from pantherophis who are a world apart from many old world elaphe which bear little in common with gonyosoma which have different needs than coelognathus.. They are all referred to as ratsnakes, yet they are very different animals with unique husbandry requirements. What applies to one, does not necessarily apply to another.
    That's why I said I have never dealt with them.

The GTP thing was just to lighten the mood, and if what you say is true then wow. I've actually never seen a Gonyosoma first hand, but yea rat snakes can differ so much it's not even funny. I've mostly kept North American rat snakes more specifically Texas rat snakes more commonly than other rat snakes. They do climb sometimes but I can say that they've never been perched all the time like you say the Gonyosoma species are. Again I have no experience with them I was just giving advice from my experience with keeping rat snakes because I had 0 experience with that species.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    That's why I said I have never dealt with them.

The GTP thing was just to lighten the mood, and if what you say is true then wow. I've actually never seen a Gonyosoma first hand, but yea rat snakes can differ so much it's not even funny. I've mostly kept North American rat snakes more specifically Texas rat snakes more commonly than other rat snakes. They do climb sometimes but I can say that they've never been perched all the time like you say the Gonyosoma species are. Again I have no experience with them I was just giving advice from my experience with keeping rat snakes because I had 0 experience with that species.
    Neal, I read the same thing that Roman apparently did in your post. It appeared that you were recommending a terrestrial set up for the snake in the OPs query - gonyosoma. In some cases, this is valid - however in the context of the discussion of gonyosoma it is not. Hence Roman's post and hence mine.

Roman's post was based 100% on the species gonyosoma oxycephalum - in fact I don't think he even used the term "ratsnake" once in his post.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Neal, I read the same thing that Roman apparently did in your post. It appeared that you were recommending a terrestrial set up for the snake in the OPs query - gonyosoma. In some cases, this is valid - however in the context of the discussion of gonyosoma it is not. Hence Roman's post and hence mine.

Roman's post was based 100% on the species gonyosoma oxycephalum - in fact I don't think he even used the term "ratsnake" once in his post.
    I know what you're saying but that's why I said I had no experience with this species. I wasn't recommending a terrestrial setup for that specific snake. I was talking about in general with the rat snakes I've had. Had I known or kept this species before I wouldn't of said what I did. I've just personally never kept this species so I wasn't aware of their behavior. I know that common names of snakes can be broad as well. That's why I said take what I said with a grain of salt with this species. If it came across different then that's my fault. I'm glad you two could offer better insight then I was able to though. If I don't have experience with colubrids I normally refer them to you anyways. You're probably about the most knowledge person on here.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Dear Neal, as Skiploder wrote, if you read your first post you have to assume that it would be possible to keep Gonyosoma in a terrestrial setup. I just wanted to correct this and to make sure that no beginner with Gonyosoma might get the impression he might keep them like a hognose after all. After straighten this out, I think this issue is solved.

@Bugmom – the size of your enclosure sounds good…

Roman

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Roman For This Useful Post:

Bugmom (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Dear Roman, have you read anything else I posted. I posted in general. I also stated I had 0 experience with them, please read then stop posting on a dead subject.
    Last edited by Neal; 10-09-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    -Venomous-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12