Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

0 members and 3,158 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Proper Labeling of your package is a MUST!

We label every snake shipment with this notice on two sides of the box:

THIS PACKAGE CONTAINS A
    LIVE ANIMAL
    HARMLESS REPTILE

(1) BALL PYTHON (python regius)

PLEASE KEEP PACKAGE OUT OF DIRECT SUNLIGHT

STORE @ TEMPERATURES OF 70-80 DEGREES F

For information call: 601-919-5681

The following label is attached to the top section of styrofoam inside the box in case for some reason the package has to be opened before delivery:

Harmless Non-Venomous
    LIVE REPTILE
    in secure packaging inside.

Shipped according to FedEx guidelines and policies.

If for any reason this package is opened during shipment
    Please contact the person listed below:

Louis Kirkland 601-919-5681
    "Selective Breeding Begins With Selective Buying"

Louis Kirkland
    Stealth Exotics on facebook
    Cornerstone Reptiles on facebook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Louis Kirkland For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (07-19-2013),ARamos8 (07-23-2013),bcr229 (07-23-2013),DooLittle (07-20-2013),Eric Alan (07-19-2013),rabernet (07-25-2013),STjepkes (07-20-2013),WtGreg (07-20-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    You know, along this same line. When I was talking to the lady at my FedEx hub about shipping my snakes, and this other girl picked up the box and started tossing it up and down, which I promptly asked her to stop doing, then I asked her why she would do that to a box marked like mine was. Her reply, " Well the boxes marked perishable probably just contain cheese or something like that, so you don't need to be that careful with it." I then pointed out the very obvious "Live Harmless Reptile" label on all sides of my box. At which time she freaked out and threw the box away from her, thankfully it landed on a nearby counter. I then asked the woman who was finishing the paperwork if all the employees were as stupid as her. The older woman shook her head and said, "No she's new, and obviously has a lot to learn." She then gave the girl a stern lecture on proper handling of customer packages and the responsibility of an employee to read the labels on a package before handling it so carelessly.

As I was leaving, I heard the girl ask the older woman, "It says there is a snake in the box. It's dead right?" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Yes honey, I am shipping a dead snake in a box.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Kirkland View Post
    We label every snake shipment with this notice on two sides of the box:

THIS PACKAGE CONTAINS A
    LIVE ANIMAL
    HARMLESS REPTILE

(1) BALL PYTHON (python regius)

PLEASE KEEP PACKAGE OUT OF DIRECT SUNLIGHT

STORE @ TEMPERATURES OF 70-80 DEGREES F

For information call: 601-919-5681

The following label is attached to the top section of styrofoam inside the box in case for some reason the package has to be opened before delivery:

Harmless Non-Venomous
    LIVE REPTILE
    in secure packaging inside.

Shipped according to FedEx guidelines and policies.

If for any reason this package is opened during shipment
    Please contact the person listed below:

Louis Kirkland 601-919-5681
    I have labeled minimal about 99% of the time. A couple package I have included a few details like your labels, but not even that detailed... I think I will begin going above and beyond and saving the trouble of a recurrence by doing something closer to your labels from now on. Thanks for the input, gives something to think about and an example for others to follow!
    I create my own labels and just tape them on, even with the "perishable" boxes, so gonna get into photoshop and create a new label now

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    You know, along this same line. When I was talking to the lady at my FedEx hub about shipping my snakes, and this other girl picked up the box and started tossing it up and down, which I promptly asked her to stop doing, then I asked her why she would do that to a box marked like mine was. Her reply, " Well the boxes marked perishable probably just contain cheese or something like that, so you don't need to be that careful with it." I then pointed out the very obvious "Live Harmless Reptile" label on all sides of my box. At which time she freaked out and threw the box away from her, thankfully it landed on a nearby counter. I then asked the woman who was finishing the paperwork if all the employees were as stupid as her. The older woman shook her head and said, "No she's new, and obviously has a lot to learn." She then gave the girl a stern lecture on proper handling of customer packages and the responsibility of an employee to read the labels on a package before handling it so carelessly.

As I was leaving, I heard the girl ask the older woman, "It says there is a snake in the box. It's dead right?" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Yes honey, I am shipping a dead snake in a box.

Gale
    I always try to include "fragile, handle with care" and "up" markers on the packages, but I have a friend who works sorting packages and says that even with those on it, what you witnessed is how they just handle packages, with only an occasional exception. According to her, sorters don't have time to read labels and they are just throwing the packages around. Sad to think...

The bad handler in your case was correct as much as she was wrong though. If not labeled fragile, handle with care, they have nothing to go off to change the assumption that it is simply some non-delicate item. Obvious to you is not obvious to them; "live harmless reptile" will not be seen unless someone reads the details of the labels, they need quick-to-read keywords like "fragile" or directional arrows for reference since, like I said above, they don't have time to read labels in depth.
    Ball Pythons.... I have a few

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Proper labeling is very important

Here is what I do on the outside.

Here is what I do on the inside

And here is the final product.

Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

rabernet (07-25-2013),WtGreg (07-20-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Awesome story and glad it worked out for the best. I always say that people should properly label things, not to mention false labeling may be against the law.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    I agree with you to a point. I buy my supplies from SYR, so the boxes are clearly marked in big red lettering Perishable, Handle with Care, and huge red arrows showing this way up. You would have to be blind not to notice it, but I think it comes down to the sheer volume of boxes they must see every day, after a while many just ignore the labeling. They simply don't care.

That being said, the older woman at my hub knows me on sight now, and she handles all my boxes personally. She keeps them up front with her until the guys come to pick them up, and she always cautions them to handle my boxes like their jobs depend on that box getting safely where it belongs. She is very sweet and always asks me what kind of ball I am shipping, how my collection is doing, when I will have new babies, she's a real nice lady. I only wish she were the norm and not the exception.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks

Louis and Deb are providing their own variations on the SYR labeling that we provide with our shipping kits and booked packages. I love it!

Adding additional info like a personal phone number shows great initiative and concern for the welfare of the package.

Keep up the great work guys!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

JLC (07-24-2013),Louis Kirkland (07-25-2013),Stewart_Reptiles (07-23-2013),WtGreg (07-23-2013)

Thanks
    Great and informative thread folks. Thanks for your contributions.
    Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12