Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,301

2 members and 1,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question from a soon-to-be hog owner

Hello folks!

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking around the site for years. I have never kept snakes before (have had crested geckos for 5 years now) but I've been getting the itch to try something new and shockingly enough my husband is cool with it (he admitted that he might actually interact more with a snake than a gecko).

All that said, we've narrowed our options down to a western hog (my first choice) or a BP. I prefer the hog's smaller size and that they're diurnal and more active (according to what I've read) than a BP would be.

We acquired a couple tanks yesteday, a 10gl and 20gl long and I am planning on having my setup ready before the end of July, when we will be attending our first reptile show (repticon Atlanta).

I've read several care sheets and scoured posts looking for info, but am still at a loss when it comes to properly setting up my heat sources and what brands of mats / bulbs / thermostats, etc would be the safest (while not crazy expensive) to use. I also have a couple questions about frozen feeders that I will tack on at the end.

Here's my "shopping list"... Please let me know if I need to add / remove anything and / or if you have any recs for what to buy. I'd love to be able to get items that could be "multi-purpose", since we could be coming home with a ball instead of a hog (ie. if a certain heat mat placed differently will work for either a 10gl or 20gl, if a ceramic heat emitter would be a better multi-purpose solution, etc.). I'm also trying to streamline this and make my setup as economical as possible.. i don't want to "go cheap", but anything I can do to keep it reasonable is a plus.

10 gl tank (purchased)
    10gl screen cover (any rec's for one with sliding lid / locks?)
    Thermostat / humidity gague ( Acu-Rite 00891A1 Indoor and Outdoor Thermometer with Humidity)
    Infrared thermometer (Etekcity Temperature Gun Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer) *is this a good one?
    UTH (I have NO idea what size or brand would be best...I"ve read it should cover 30% of tank bottom)
    Fluorescent strip light on timer for day/night cycle (have one laying around somewhere)
    UVB bulb? is is necessary
    Bedding (I am unsure.. I'd like something very easy to spot clean... maybe something clumping sand based any recs?) I have tons of paper pellet style cat litter (I use for rodents) but I do not know if this is suitable
    Cage carpet to go under bedding? (I've seen this rec'd in the BP section but not on any hog care sheets)
    2 hides (unsure on size as I do not know the size of the snake we will get. any recs are appreciated on sizes that might work for various size hogs)
    Climbing branch (thinking grape wood with a water-based poly coating so it's easy to clean) and rough rocks for shedding, plastic plants for cover, etc.

Also, a question regarding feeders. we will try to buy frozen feeders while at the show (to avoid shipping charges at least the first time around). What should I look for size-wise and although I know it varies, about how much should I pay / how many should I buy at a time (I do not know how long they store frozen without loosing nutritional value). I figured if the hog eats, say 2 pinkies a week, buying a pkg of 50 would be enough for 25 weeks (although i don't know how large a pkg of 50 pinkies would be and if it would fit in our freezer...)

Thank you so much everyone for your time and assistance! I'm So excited about this and even more so that my husband might enjoy this side of the reptile hobby with me. If you have any other information you think will be of assistance (i.e. if you'd recommend to look for a certain size / weight animals or what to look for at the show, how much an average price is, etc.) would be appreciated as well... I know what to look for in geckos, but have no clue with snakes.

Thanks again (and sorry for this outrageously long post)
    Artgecko

Thanks

Re: Question from a soon-to-be hog owner

I currently have 13bz, 1 jcp and an adorable western hoggie. My hoggie is currently housed in a 10gal with screen top and clips to secure the lid. He is on aspen bedding with a small zoomed uth hooked to a t-stat. He is currently feeding on small ft mice about once a week. The weather hear in southern Calif is pretty warm so I don't use any additional heating. Uv lighting is not necessary. I kept beardies and uromastyx many years ago so I know proper lighting and heating was very important for them.

Wilbur (the name my boys gave him) is a character. He will put on a show for us by puffing and hissing and wiggling his tail like a little rattler. He is very calm when handled and sometimes will fall asleep when he coils around my hand. You can't go wrong with a little hoggie. Check out world of hognose .com for some great info. good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to pick up.

Thanks

I'd definitely recommend a hoggie if you're looking for an active snake. Ours can usually be found cruising around their tanks. I think the 20gl can comfortably house a male hog, they're considerably smaller than females. Our large male is in one of the exoterra medium-low tanks. I'd go with a hydrofarm thermostat, I didn't see what brand you were looking into, but their fairly cheap $27-38 depending on where you get it.

On the feeders, I'd definitely hold off purchasing until you have your snake in hand. We bought 25 pinks for our hatchling, and about a month and a half later, one pink wasn't cutting it. He was bumped up to 3 per feeding, and still seemed hungry after feeding day.

If you can, I'd try to find an adult. Ours was 125 at the show we picked him up. They're much calmer than babies, as I've learned in the past two months lol. Unfortunately, they might be hard to come by. I think there were only 7 hogs total at the show, while there were hundreds of balls to choose from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

Oh, and a package of 50 pinks wouldn't even fill up a ziplock sandwich bag, so you should have room in your freezer . I paid $1 each for ours, but you can get em cheaper if you look hard enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

Re: Question from a soon-to-be hog owner

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    10gl screen cover (any rec's for one with sliding lid / locks?)
    Thermostat / humidity gague ( Acu-Rite 00891A1 Indoor and Outdoor Thermometer with Humidity)
    Infrared thermometer (Etekcity Temperature Gun Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer) *is this a good one?
    UTH (I have NO idea what size or brand would be best...I"ve read it should cover 30% of tank bottom)
    Fluorescent strip light on timer for day/night cycle (have one laying around somewhere)
    UVB bulb? is is necessary
    Bedding (I am unsure.. I'd like something very easy to spot clean... maybe something clumping sand based any recs?) I have tons of paper pellet style cat litter (I use for rodents) but I do not know if this is suitable
    Cage carpet to go under bedding? (I've seen this rec'd in the BP section but not on any hog care sheets)
    2 hides (unsure on size as I do not know the size of the snake we will get. any recs are appreciated on sizes that might work for various size hogs)
    Climbing branch (thinking grape wood with a water-based poly coating so it's easy to clean) and rough rocks for shedding, plastic plants for cover, etc.
    Don't mistake a thermometer for a thermostat. They are both necessary for a proper and safe enclosure, however the unit on your list is a thermoMETER.
    A thermoSTAT (Herpstat, Helix, Ranco, Hydrofarm, etc.) controls the amount of energy emitted by your UTH. Without this, your snake can be exposed to temps upwards of 130F, which are far too hot for any snake species. The thermostat should be the highest quality aspect of your setup, and the best you can afford. Herpstats are regarded as the golden standard around here.

As for everything else, you're on the right track. Most people will say to steer clear of sand as substrate and opt for aspen, cypress, or even plain newspaper/paper towel if you're okay with forgoing aesthetics. You can also skip the UVB bulb and cage carpet for under substrate.
    -Brendan

Thanks
    Thank you guys so much for taking the time to respond! I will be on vacation for the next week and will write a more detailed response when I return.

Artgecko

Thanks
    Thank you so much guys for your help!
    Sorry about putting thermometer instead of thermostat. I always have to miss something when I proofread my posts.

I will definately look into the different brands of thermometers and not got the cheap route. I'd rather spend now than pay later with a dead snake.

I do not know the forum policy on this, but if you guys could mention any well-know breeders of hoggies for me to look into, just in case there are not any hogs at the show, that would be awesome.

Also, can you tell me the average going rate for a normal, a high red, and an albino male? I know this varies on the quality of the animal and it's size, etc.. But just a ball park figure. I'd LOVE to be able to get a high red male or even a red albino...but the latter is probably out of the price range I want to spend.

Thanks again so much for the great information and taking time to respond to my questions.

If you have any other advice that you think I need to know, please feel free.

Artgecko

Thanks

Thank you so much guys for your help!
    Sorry about putting thermometer instead of thermostat. I always have to miss something when I proofread my posts.

I will definately look into the different brands of thermometers and not got the cheap route. I'd rather spend now than pay later with a dead snake.

I do not know the forum policy on this, but if you guys could mention any well-know breeders of hoggies for me to look into, just in case there are not any hogs at the show, that would be awesome.

Also, can you tell me the average going rate for a normal, a high red, and an albino male? I know this varies on the quality of the animal and it's size, etc.. But just a ball park figure. I'd LOVE to be able to get a high red male or even a red albino...but the latter is probably out of the price range I want to spend.

Thanks again so much for the great information and taking time to respond to my questions.

If you have any other advice that you think I need to know, please feel free.

Artgecko
    Yes, make sure you get a thermostat, preferably a nicer one like a herpstat or... well... a Herpstat! They are the best IMHO, and are packed full of safety features. As far as going rates, probably 50-75 for the normal, 100 to 400 for the red male ( usually on the low end, really high quality snakes command far more price) and 200-300 for a male albino. Hope this helps!

Thanks

My friend has a very nice hog he got from BHB reptiles. I got two of my colubrids there. But if you want individual pictures of the snake your buying and a age I would look elsewhere.

Thanks

Just keep an eye peeled on the various herp websites. I saw an albino male on Kingsnake for 150, and let me tell ya, I was sorely tempted lol. For some reason, there are NO hoggie breeders in AZ, which is partly why I want to dip my hand in breeding. I'd love to buy local, but there's no one here If you can get a good deal, jump on it.

The only other normal female I've seen in person was from Las Vegas I think, and they were asking 500 (to be fair, she was full grown, but jeeze that's high IMO).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast