Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

1 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Rehashing old query. Wanted: snake shed.

I have been looking all over the internet and elsewhere for
    information on how to purchase/obtain a large (12"W x 30"L) belly in the
    middle, python shed. Not interested in hide(cruel).
    I have a guitar that I decoupaged a shed onto and it looked
    awesome! But after years of playing areas have worn away and I would like to
    do this again, but I can't find a shed. One piece with belly up the middle,
    any Ideas? I'd be willing to pay.
    Thanks , Jay McAllister, near Roanoke Va.

Basically what I want to do is strip down my guitar, paint it a flat black, glue the shed over the body with the belly right up the center. I did it once,but I neglected to put a scratch-proof finish on it. From years of playing much of the shed wore off. This time I plan to use a Mod-Podge coat like what is used on award plaques and wood bar tops so it appears to be "under glass".
    The shed will let the black base color thru and contrast between the semi-transparent shed and color I think will make the guitar look like a snake that "morphed" into a guitar. Oh, and this is a vintage Kramer Pacer so afficionados will tell me I'm nuts.
    Thanks , Jay

Thanks
    My suggestion is to connect with local herpers. Sheds happen fairly often and don't hold much value to someone who has a bunch of snakes, I don't think you'll have any problem finding someone who is willing to sell you a shed. Heck I'd give you 10 of em for free if you wanted, but my largest snake is only 7lbs and wouldn't fit your criteria.
    Very creative and cool idea. Modge podge will work just fine for your next project and look very nice!
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SnowShredder For This Useful Post:

Jetplane (06-30-2013)

Thanks

Re: Rehashing old query. Wanted: snake shed.

SnowShredder,
    Thanks, I just don't know any in my town or nearby. Wouldn't know how to look it up. I even tried the local zoo, but they told me they keep their sheds for "educational" purposes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I even tried the local zoo, but they told me they keep their sheds for "educational" purposes.
    That's really lame. Like SnowShredder said, sheds happen often, so it's silly of them to be selfish with them. Even a huge Burmese is still going to shed at least a couple times a year.

That looks really awesome, by the way, even with it worn. I imagine it redone will be even sweeter!

I think your best bet for that size is going to be a Burmese, Retic, or a really big Boa. Don't forget, sheds are really lightweight, so I would think you could get one mailed to you, especially if you'll pay shipping (which wouldn't be much - a large padded envelope would do it). Try looking for reptile rescue or herpetological societies.

I went to Petfinder to see if there were any Burmese on there; Midgard Serpents Reptile Rescue has a couple it looks like. There are also a few boas on there as well but it's hard to tell size. Also try contacting Tom McCarthy (http://www.mccarthyboas.com/home.html) He lives in Northwest Indiana, but he has several large snakes, and I'm sure probably knows other people with large snakes.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Rehashing old query. Wanted: snake shed.

Had I noticed my boa shed before it all dried up I could have sent you some.

I cut a small piece off to keep:

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    You might want to try posting on Fauna, just because there might be more large constrictor owners over there than here. None of my "kids" are wide enough for what you need. Good luck and neat idea!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    That's such a cool effect on the guitar!

I'd love to help you out, but BPs just aren't big enough.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "