Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,204

0 members and 3,204 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Feeding mouse/rat?

Ok now first of heres my issue i have 10 bps currenly all in my 6qt tubs rack so they all lil guys n girls havent got a scale but there are on hoppers to large mice or rat pups from smallest bp to bigest my question is how many breeder mice or rats do you guys think is best for not havein to buy million dollar rodents from the dreeded pet store.now i do have a breeder pair of rats all ready and she just had her 2nd liter this morn thats what made me post this her first liter was 14 this 2nd one is only 10 and it was 4-5 months apart.i also have a prego mouse ready to bust no dad i had to use him hungry snake an pet store only had 4 tiny hoopers.i have a freezer full of medium mice ok like 7-9 an some hoppers but only one of my guys is a gobble monster who eat em ,truthfully most my balls eat ween they feel like it i try a schule but i even have a pin ghost who still hasent eaten since i got him a month ago and hes not skinny yet but he anit fat or old enough to be on strike but that a whole nother topic .some help on whats my ideal rat farming ratio for these 10 kool kids thanks....
    Last edited by its300; 12-11-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Ball Pythons
    0.4 Normals
    1.0 Pastel
    0.3 Pinstripe
    0.0.1 Ghost Pinstripe
    0.0.1 Emperor Pin Ghost
    Dre Hall allways ready http://www.facebook.com/yunggdre

Thanks
    I've got to be honest - you're much more likely to get a response with meaningful information if you edit your post for punctuation, spelling, basic grammar, etc.. It's really difficult to understand what you wrote & what you're trying to ask. Make it easy for your readers to understand what you're trying to say.
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swansonbb For This Useful Post:

its300 (12-11-2012)

Thanks

Re: Feeding mouse/rat?

Quote Originally Posted by swansonbb View Post
    I've got to be honest - you're much more likely to get a response with meaningful information if you edit your post for punctuation, spelling, basic grammar, etc.. It's really difficult to understand what you wrote & what you're trying to ask. Make it easy for your readers to understand what you're trying to say.
    wow i guess i thought it would be kool to be part of somthing i love but im holdin my 6 month old son here and needing help instead i get told off by my grammer lol... thanks ill try harder ..but trust me i did the best i could all i was askin was for some suggetions on how many or weather mouse or rat and how many to breed to keep up with my 10 ball pythons sorry im doing it again not enough periods. sorry. is. this . more .readable! thats kind of mean to me i hate fourms because they make new uesers fell stupid instead of welcome ...... com'on. im a retiple lover . not a spelling bee. champ.maybe i can e-mail you? and you can spell check iot while i feed my son or shouold i just drop his ass on the floor and make sure i .got my thread pretty enough>!!!!!! if u have some ideas on helping me with my rat mouse problem thanks in advance, im not dumb or lazy just was busy an needed help. love too all.
    Last edited by its300; 12-11-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Ball Pythons
    0.4 Normals
    1.0 Pastel
    0.3 Pinstripe
    0.0.1 Ghost Pinstripe
    0.0.1 Emperor Pin Ghost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by its300 View Post
    wow i guess i thought it would be kool to be part of somthing i love but im holdin my 6 month old son here and needing help instead i get told off by my grammer lol... thanks ill try harder ..but trust me i did the best i could all i was askin was for some suggetions on how many or weather mouse or rat and how many to breed to keep up with my 10 ball pythons sorry im doing it again not enough periods. sorry. is. this . more .readable! thats kind of mean to me i hate fourms because they make new uesers fell stupid instead of welcome ...... com'on. im a retiple lover . not a spelling bee. champ.maybe i can e-mail you? and you can spell check iot while i feed my son or shouold i just drop his ass on the floor and make sure i .got my thread pretty enough>!!!!!! if u have some ideas on helping me with my rat mouse problem thanks in advance, im not dumb or lazy just was busy an needed help. love too all.
    Holy Overreaction, Batman! I gave you some honest advice. You weren't "told off" and there was no malice in my response. I simply offered a suggestion on how to get responses from more experienced reptile keepers (I'm not referring to myself). One thing about the internet, or any written communication for that matter, is that if something is difficult to understand, people will just move on to the next page, post, etc...

When you post a question on this, or any forum, you're asking for someone's help - for the benefit of someone else's knowledge. They have no obligation to provide you with any information or help you in any way. If someone is going to be courteous enough to offer you information, the least you can do is show them the courtesy of framing your question clearly.
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to swansonbb For This Useful Post:

its300 (12-11-2012)

Thanks

ok i agree ,my son is 6 months and teething sorry i am a man and will admit ween im wrong . forgive me but i just feel like somtimes people are to mean to "noobs".Now than here is my question,i have 10 ball pythons and want to breed there food rather than buy it ever week about how many rats or mice should i get? I ALREADY HAVE 1 PAIR OF RATS JUST HAD 2ND LITER TODAY OF 10. Also do i want mice pairs for breeding or rats? thanks again and i will not take it for rude like i did if i spelled somthing wrong or forgot not to run on like i tend to do.
    Last edited by its300; 12-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Ball Pythons
    0.4 Normals
    1.0 Pastel
    0.3 Pinstripe
    0.0.1 Ghost Pinstripe
    0.0.1 Emperor Pin Ghost

8. The Following User Says Thank You to its300 For This Useful Post:

swansonbb (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a feeder section on here that talks about breeding feeders and ratios. I believe what people generally say are 2 female rats per every snake. I'm not sure if that's really waht you need, but I think that's what I've read several times. I have 40 breeder rats/mice and a little over 30 snakes, but I can't keep up with them. I've started feeding f/t and live.

Thanks

No worries. This isn't like a lot of other forms, people here are generally willing to help and fairly respectful.

I don't breed rodents, so I have no personal experience to offer. If I were to start, I think I'd focus on rats for ongoing feeders, but none of my BPs are mousers. The only time I'd want a colony of mice would be to offer hoppers to a hatchling. For me, live hoppers are pretty easy to come by, so I don't anticpate the need to breed my own.

I found this under the "breeding rats" part of BP.net forums - I hope it helps!

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-Many-to-Breed
    BPs...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to swansonbb For This Useful Post:

its300 (12-11-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I gotta agree here. i meen seriously you couldn't understand it because he didn't have the right punctuation and sentence structure? so you felt the need to correct him on his grammar rather then answer his question. because without a comma and a paragraph plain english makes no sense to some people i guess. sorry but it just irks me when people ask a question just to get corrected on their grammar.

I give my rats a little break between litters. so how i do it is i plan on getting 10 baby rats per female every 6 weeks. so then you would have to consider how many rats your snakes will eat a week. and then you'll have a rough esti,ate of how many females you will need to supply yourself. as far as mice go if your snakes are all eating rats then no you don't need mice. but if you have mousers then it would be much cheaper to get a little breeding group of mice going. not sure about there but mice are $3.50 a piece for full grown and $2 a hopper here.

Thanks

my bp's feed on both rat and mice 2 of them still on hoppers the rest (8)on adult mice or rat pups i am a really kool person i just had my kids screaming an a pre thought about how some people are on forums but im thankfully for the feeding info
    Ball Pythons
    0.4 Normals
    1.0 Pastel
    0.3 Pinstripe
    0.0.1 Ghost Pinstripe
    0.0.1 Emperor Pin Ghost