Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,305

5 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Realism~ Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Hi everyone,

Normally I don't post my work online, but seeing as this is a reptile drawing and this is a reptile forum, why not?

I felt I needed to introduce some more reptile work to my portfolio, so my friend Leah lent me a photo of her BRB to work off of. Daunting task, I'll tell you.

Apologies for the blurry photo. I try to keep my high-quality resolutions off the internet where I can, so this is an iPhone photo of the piece, haha.

Subject: Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    Medium: Graphite and charcoal
    Time: 16+ hours (I don't really count, otherwise I'm sure I'd go bonkers)
    Size: 8.5 x 11" on 100lb Cardstock

- Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vasiliki For This Useful Post:

Wapadi (06-25-2012)

Thanks
    Awesome. It looks just like a picture!
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Thanks
    Very amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

Thanks
    Thanks all. Hoping to work on a wider series of these and eventually offer some prints. Since I don't breed, it's impossible for me to be a vendor at my local reptile expo. But I can draw, and paint, so we'll see how it goes. Just got to find some more people willing to let me work on portraits of their animals that might possibly end up in production
    - Danielle

1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

Thanks
    The scale detail on its face is right on, but the head/neck/body transition and proportions seem a bit off, unless your friend has a very obese BRB. I feel like you captured the front half of its head really well, but the rest didn't turn out quite so nicely. That said, it's far better than what I'd produce if I tried my hand at it, so rock on.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be curious to see the original photo, presuming your friend would be ok with you posting it.
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

Thanks
    The photograph I was working off of actually was completely blurred after the face and nose. The detail was heavily lost, save for shadows and highlights. So, yes, there absolutely is a lack of detail. Seeing as she posted it on the other forum we frequent, I'm sure it won't be an issue to post the photograph here for comparison. But I'm not really looking for a heavy critique Seeing as this was the first snake I've attempted to draw before, I've no prior experience with this subject. Normally I work with mammals and 'hairy' animals, haha.

Reference photo:
    Rainbow Boa
    - Danielle

Thanks
    Actually, I'm always looking for new photos to attempt to draw of animals I'm not familiar with. If you have any you wouldn't mind me working on and possibly posting later, olstyn, I'd be more than willing to give it some more practice As it is, I can do horses almost without a reference photo now. Reptiles... That is some new anatomy for sure. Definitely doesn't flow as easily for me as some other subjects do. All the more reason to work on improving it
    - Danielle

Thanks
    I've got one or two decent ones of the leopard gecko in my avatar that you'd be welcome to work from if you'd like to have a go at those. Just let me know what resolution you'd like and I can post one or two in the thread here.
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

Thanks
    May I say, as the girlfriend/partner of an artist, that you do some stellar work! And he agrees, BTW. Especially since the rest of the photo was so blurred.

Personally, I would love to see what you could do with a blue tongue skink! Not enough artwork of those guys out there.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

Vasiliki (08-29-2012)

Thanks

Re: Realism~ Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliki View Post
    Actually, I'm always looking for new photos to attempt to draw of animals I'm not familiar with. If you have any you wouldn't mind me working on and possibly posting later, olstyn, I'd be more than willing to give it some more practice As it is, I can do horses almost without a reference photo now. Reptiles... That is some new anatomy for sure. Definitely doesn't flow as easily for me as some other subjects do. All the more reason to work on improving it
    Hey dont have a snake but here is something kind of snake shaped you could putz around with

Just to help you practice with that tapering in the body and stuff.

I draw more of a cartoony style so mine comes out very different lol

Here is my "child" paint shop version of Betty pictured above along with my other fish lol

Looks ridiculous lol but I just moved and cant find my actual pencil drawing of her

I started clicking and linking but instead of taking away from your amazing art with my scribbly art I made my own thread lol
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-I-Dont-Derail

Edit - Oh for those who dont know Betty is a Delhezi Bichir, and is more likely than not a male even though I call her a she.
    Last edited by pookie!; 06-30-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast