Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

4 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question on thermostats

I'm trying to invest in one for my ball python and another in the near future once i have enough funds saved up, but the question is: Are there thermostats that have multiple probes? for at least 2 or 3 cages? I've seen the prices on some of the highly recommended ones and they are at least $100-200! I need something that is the same amount but can determine temps on multiple cages and not just one. Can someone help me?
    Ball Python(1.0)=Pennyworth (Normal)
    Leopard Gecko(0.1)=Leopold (Normal)
    Corn Snake(?)=Ezekial (Amelanistic?)

Percival the Betta Fish: Rest In Peace, my beloved one..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I believe the Vivarium Electronc thermostats have multiple probes.
    The higher end Herpstats come w/ multiple probes. The Herpstat 2 can control 2 different temps. And the Herpstat 4 can control 4.
    They are more expensive, but I guarantee it is worth every penny. Herpstats are one of the safest and most reliable thermostats on the market.
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-22-2012 at 01:17 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Immy (05-22-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Multiple probes are used to control multiple temperatures. A ranco or johnson controls thermostat, for example, can monitor multiple identical heat sources at the same temperature.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Both VE and Spyder Robotics (Herpstat) have multi probe units.

With that said, I see a LOT of threads discussing the expense of thermostats. What I will say on the matter is this: A quality thermostat should be factored in to the snake budget from DAY ONE. It is not an aside to be considered later.

It is good that you are thinking ahead for a multi-probe model. A 2 probe one will run you around $200 or less.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royal Hijinx For This Useful Post:

AK907 (05-22-2012),Immy (05-22-2012),Slim (05-22-2012),whispersinmyhead (05-23-2012)

Thanks

Re: Question on thermostats

So, there is a difference between a herpstat and a thermostat? Let's say a buy a herpstat from Spyder Robotics and I buy a ranco thermostat. I plug the thermostat in the herpstat and then i set the temp on the herpstat and it stays that temp? what about the probe? i hear that its supposed to determine multiple temps like a whole rack. How does it do that? Idk, im a little confused.. I'm probably thinking about this a little too much... :/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    So, there is a difference between a herpstat and a thermostat? Let's say a buy a herpstat from Spyder Robotics and I buy a ranco thermostat. I plug the thermostat in the herpstat and then i set the temp on the herpstat and it stays that temp? what about the probe? i hear that its supposed to determine multiple temps like a whole rack. How does it do that? Idk, im a little confused.. I'm probably thinking about this a little too much... :/
    A herpstat is just a brand of thermostat that is popular (and on the more expensive side).

I don't think you would ever plug a thermostat into a thermostat...

Lets say you want to keep the hot spot of 3 separate cages at the same temperature. The first thing to keep in mind is that you need 3 identical heat sources, whether it be heat mats or flexwatt. Place the thermostat probe directly in contact with one of the heat sources. Plug all of the heat sources into the thermostat and set the desired temperature. All three cages should maintain the same temperature.

Does this help?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Ahhh, derp. I get it now. Thank you, lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    It all really depends on what you want to heat.

Herpstat is a brand of Thermostat.

For a rack, a basic thermostat will work fine. (Hydrofarm, Herpstat Intro, Ranco/Johnsons, VE, etc etc)
    You can use one probe/one thermostat for the whole thing. Say you have a strip of 4 inch flexwatt on each shelf. Each strip of flexwatt has their own cord. Basic thermostats usually come with only plug in for the heat source. In order to plug in multiple cords, you can use a power strip. Plug all the flexwatt cords into the power strip and plug that power strip into the thermostat. This allows the single thermostat to regulate all levels of the rack at generally the same temperature. You can even regulate 2 racks on 1 thermostat with this method as long as both racks are identical.

For separate enclosures of different sizes or enclosures that are not identical, multiple thermostat probes are needed in order to regulate each enclosure at the correct temperatures. So like, regulating a rack and a tank at the same time using the same thermostat requires you to have 2 probes. 1 probe for the rack, 1 probe for the tank.

I hope this helped.

Also, you can use a thermostat on a thermostat. Lots of people use the cheap $30 Hydrofarms to back up their more expensive unit as a fail safe in case the main unit fails or malfunctions. Any accidental heat spike will allow the secondary thermostat to shut down the main thermostat.
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-22-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I'll just add the missing ones ecozone thermostats and herpkeeper. Both offer four separate zones like the herpstat4 does I believe the VE300x2 and herpstat 2 offer two separate zones. The herpstat and ecozone offer the more options the herpkeeper next and the ve is the lowest featured of them. The price difference between the herpstat and ve is so small that I'd go herpstat all the way. 1¢ difference... Eco zone and herpkeeper are a fair bit more than these two.

Controlling multiple enclosures with a single t-stat every thing must be the same. Same exact enclosure same exact heat source and amount of substrate. Personally I would never recommend this type of set up too many variables. A rack ok one can be done but there is still variation top to bottom often a degree or two only but with separate enclosures the variation is likely to be even more and balance hard to find.

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Here's my two cents worth.... I've tried numerous methods to regulate heat and everyone one who has posted in this thread makes very valid points. What i've found is for MY racks I run hydrofarm single prob thermostats. but even with all of my racks being exactly the same set up (same amount of flexwatt per tub same double layer of news print for substrate same exact brand of tubs and size) there is still a 1 or 2 degree temp difference between my bottom and top tub (5 high racks double stacked so 10 per stack) heat rises. also instead of paying $150 and up for multi probe stats I opted for $30 hydrofarm stats and run one for every two racks however one thermostat runs the two racks on the top and the other runs the two racks on the bottom and I rarely find anything more than one degree differance in temps from top to bottom since I switched them over this way. Jmo if you are looking for a less expensive multi probe unit go with less expensive single probes and just by more of them. lol $120 for 4 probes and each one can be programmed for different temps if you are keeping different species. If anyone has seen this before and has seen a drawback to it please let me know also so I can correct it because i've only been running these for about 2 months now. seems to be working well tho
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast