Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

1 members and 3,226 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

yet another snake owner that makes other owners look bad?

So today I took trash out to the curb. and I seen my neighbor holding what looks like a snake in his hand. I am not so much against taking my snakes out in public areas when it is low populated or to a pet store that sells snakes, but and from time to time I will drape one of my balls over my shoulders if I am cleaning out its cage and taking it out to dump but this guy is just sitting there on his front porch holding this so I went to take it a look. It was a VERY HOT snake. he was holding a copper head. Needless to say it was the most docile copper head I have seen, but I wouldn't come with in 5 feet of the guy. His first question was "What you scared of snakes?" I explained to him that I am not and I have helped people remove hot snakes from there property to relocate. I told him Copperheads are amoungst one of my favorite snakes and that I would love to own one day. the Guy said he had a permit ( I just took his word for it since I am not an enforcer of it) but I told him that I am also respectful towards other people that live around us that are scared of snakes. I wish I had of had my phone though, I did get to check out his animals. He had a Pegmy Rattler, Diamand Back, Gaboon, and 2 copperheads. The one he was holding he explain has been raised from a baby, I was just in shock of how docile it was, copperheads are normally aggressive from what I dealt with even in captivity, but even with it being docile I still don't think I would want to free hand one milked or not. I have had Rosie my Boa dig her teath into me and lached on and it didn't feel too great, I don't think I want a copperheads fangs digging in my flesh like that, or being responsible for the injury or death of some one else because of choosing to set on front porch with it.
    The only way to shine your light is in the dark...Never let life kill your spark- Crown the Empire

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    From what I understand, respectful and SMART owners handle ALL hots as if they are fully loaded. That guy is an idiot, and we'll see him on the news some day.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Flikky (08-19-2012),JulieInNJ (05-09-2012)

Thanks

Re: yet another snake owner that makes other owners look bad?

Quote Originally Posted by crepers86 View Post
    or being responsible for the injury or death of some one else because of choosing to set on front porch with it.
    This exactly. Way to risky!
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

Thanks
    Dumb. Hots should always be handled with the utmost respect. People like that Give the responsible owners poor reputations.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks
    It's a shame the idiots of the world still get to reproduce. There should be some sort of screening process, then the people that fail are sterilized.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dart For This Useful Post:

Arcapello (08-08-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (05-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Its ok i see/hear about him on the next episode of Bitten on animal planet. Maybe youll be allowed to make a cameo appearance crepers!!! lmao

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Although I agree that he should not be handling a copperhead on his front porch, and that free-handling any hot is a huge risk, I have to disagree with your comment about copperheads being aggressive. I have encountered many of them living in Georgia, and they were never aggressive. In fact, just last summer, my dad picked one up out of a neighbor's yard and put it in a tub before realizing what he had (oops!), and it never showed any aggression. She has been relocated to a MUCH less populated area on private property.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    You play Russian roulette one too many times your bound to "win" one of these days.

Thanks

While not the smartest idea to handle a copperhead like that (I sure wouldn't do it), I wouldn't compare it to Russian roulette. You guys are making it sound like a copperhead bite equals death and that's just not the case.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGeibel View Post
    While not the smartest idea to handle a copperhead like that (I sure wouldn't do it), I wouldn't compare it to Russian roulette. You guys are making it sound like a copperhead bite equals death and that's just not the case.
    Ok let me try again. If you play the "lottery" enough, you may win. My point being handling a hot like that shouldn't be common practice. Even if he is docile, it's just a matter of time before you get tagged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast