Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,433

2 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Frustrated new owner

I've done extensive reading, stalked forums, got my ball python Basil everything he/she wanted(need to take it to the vet to find out), temperature on hot side 90, cool side 80, humidity 40-60%. Waited at least one week before touching, fed it once already. ( didn't even think twice before nomin on his food) I've done EVERYTHING yet he's SO SHY. Whenever I pick him up he stays slightly coiled the longest I've held him is 5 minutes but I worry I'm stressing it out when he starts breathing a little more deeply, feel bad for him and put him back in his tank. I've had him for 10 days now and I don't know what else to do to get him to be a little less shy I want him to at least move a little when he's on my hand. Please help me

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    First off, Welcome to BP.net!

Secondly, it sounds like you have a young BP. The behavior you're describing is perfectly normal at this stage. They tend to be very shy when they're young. Nothing to worry about. They almost always grow out of it.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

arya (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    Mine are like that also. When my husband holds them, they stay that way. When I hold them, they start moving around and become very active.

He usually holds them upward. I hold them down on my lap and give them the sense of security.

Also, we would hold longer than 5 minutes.

Star

Thanks
    When I first got my BP he was nervous like you described. If I moved too fast he would jump and pull his head away and would either freeze up or try to move away from me however he could. I found that moving slowly and gently when handling him helped him gradually learn that I am not a threat to him. I think that being quiet when I handled him at first helped too. Slow, quiet, calm and fairly frequent interactions and he got used to me and became relaxed and inquisitive. His age also made a difference for sure like other posters have said.

Thanks

Re: Frustrated new owner

Thanks for your comments guys, I think he's about 5 months old (is that old?) I'm assuming that's still young'ish so I'm hoping that's why he's fast. I'm so paranoid about what I do to him I don't want him unhappy at all. I also like to keep it private when I'm holding him so it's just me and him and no one else. I'm a new snake owner but already absolutely love snakes and my baby, I never thought I'd own one.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Considering they can live to be over 20 years old or more, yes, 5 months is pretty young.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    Mine was exactly how you and everyone else described. What I did was hold him and let him come out on his own don't forcefully unravel him. Sometimes mine wouldn't unravel when i held him, and I just placed him in my lap or on my dresser and just watched him and he would start to explore. Than I would slowly pick him up and at that point he only got scared if I put my hand next to his face or made fast movements. Also wrapping 3 sides of the tank with card board or dark construction paper makes them feel more secure.....if you haven't already done this.

Thanks
    I am also a first time snake owner and my BP is 7 months old. She would stay balled up for a minute or two at first an then start exploring on her own and become active. Now that we have had her a little over a month she doesn't even stay balled up at all as soon as she is out she nice and acrive. Not trying to get away, just active and not shy. Give it timeand as said above, don't force it just let it explore and relax at it's own pace.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons
    Female Pastel (Gella), Female Butter (Khaleesi), Male Spider (Igor), Male Pastel Butter (Tig)

Reptiles
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (RIP Freddie)

Thanks
    BTW congrats and welcome to the forum!
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons
    Female Pastel (Gella), Female Butter (Khaleesi), Male Spider (Igor), Male Pastel Butter (Tig)

Reptiles
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (RIP Freddie)

Thanks

Re: Frustrated new owner

Just keep pushing! It's tough to have them reject your affection at first, but they lighten up. We have a little pinstripe who struck everytime we had he out, but he's chilled out with handling every couple of days. We're dealing with a really nervous fire now, but I'm sure with time she'll come around too.

Just stick with it and give them time and gentle care. It takes time for them to understand that you aren't going to hurt them.
    BALLS

0.2 Normals 0.1 Bumblebee 0.1 Yellowbelly 0.1 Mojave 0.1 Pastel Ghost 0.1 Leopard 0.1 Super Pastel 0.2 Black Pewter Yellowbellies 0.1 Arroyo Firefly 0.1 Lesser 0.1 Spider 0.1 Lemon Blast 2.3 Black Pastels 1.1 Pinstripes 1.0 Super Fire 1.0 Ghost Killer Queen Bee 1.0 Arroyo 0.1 Champagne 0.1 Pastel Trick 0.1 Pastel Yellowbelly 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic 0.1 Fire Mojave 1.0 Banana 1.0 Jigsaw 1.0 Super Pastel Lesser Black Pastel Yellowbelly

NON BALLS
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

NON SNAKES
    1.0 Long Haired Chihuahua 1.0 Greyhound 1.0 Husband

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast