Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,404

2 members and 2,402 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Moving a BP Between US/Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ExotixTowing View Post
    I was being Sarcastic

I just got off the phone with Canadian Customs (local Port), they were dumbfounded

I have to go to the US tomorrow and pick up my son from Day Care I will ask a friend at US Customs,

From what CBSA told me if you own the Animal then it's fine, if you are importing it for sale you have to declare the value.
    can you tell me a number to call? ive tried looking myself as there is a breeder in canada with some balls i want...lol
    look into corey woods. he isnt far from toronto within a 5 hour drive at least and he has some awesome snakes.
    adam jeffery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeffery View Post
    can you tell me a number to call? ive tried looking myself as there is a breeder in canada with some balls i want...lol
    look into corey woods. he isnt far from toronto within a 5 hour drive at least and he has some awesome snakes.
    adam jeffery

I called my local POE

Here are the 800 numbers

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html
    1.0 Normal (Diablo)
    1.0 Platinum Lesser (Aurora)
    1.0 Russian Blue Cat (Magnum)
    0.1 House Cat (Porsche)
    1.0 Australian Cattle Dog (Diesel)
    0.1 Yorky (Mercedes)
    2.0 Kids (Matt & Leland)
    0.1 Wife (Jennifer)
    No The wife and Kids do not conform to the Automotive type Names haha
    All Lessers are equal, but I got the pretty one

Thanks
    Yeah I figured it would be a lot harder to bring a snake into the US, as opposed to bringing a snake into Canada
    Regardless I'm not going to bother bringing any other, I have a few breeders in my area that I can use anyways

I was just curious in case I saw something that caught my eye, but I can always be patient and see what my breeders have for sale haha
    My Balls!

1.1 Fire
    1.0 Black Pastel
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Pastel
    0.4 Normal

Thanks
    I could type out a whole bunch of stuff on the subject. However, copy/paste works best.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default.asp?lang=En&n=EA39DD0C-1

Important: If CITES-listed wildlife is imported into Canada, exported from Canada, or attempted to be exported without the necessary permits, those goods are subject to seizure and forfeiture, and the importers/exporters are liable to prosecution.
    CITES and your Business

•Obtain CITES Permits before an import or export occurs. Note: CITES Permits must be presented if the marks, labels, or accompanying documentation for products you are importing/exporting claim that they contain a CITES controlled species. Environment Canada can prosecute on label information.

•Verify that Customs or the federal department of authority validated the CITES permits at the time of export and/or import. Without validation, permits will not be accepted. Also, a copy of the permit will be retained by Canada Customs and will be forwarded to Environment Canada for compliance purposes.

•Ensure all valid cities documents accompany the shipment. Note: CITES-listed wildlife may be subject to regulations by other Acts of Parliament or provincial and territorial legislation. Other government agencies should be contacted, particularly the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) when importing or exporting live animals or plants.

•Advise Environment Canada of wildlife imports in advance, to speed the inspection process.

•Comply with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Regulations and the CITES Guidelines for Transport and Preparation for Shipment of Live Wild Animals and Plants when shipping live specimens.

•Removal Notices may be issued by Environment Canada for WAPPRIITA infractions. Within a specified period of time you must remove goods from Canada at your expense.
    Do everything legal. You don't want to end up like these people!!

http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default...n&n=9FA6FEF5-1

Unlawful Importation of Snakes Results in Fine

March 23, 2010

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. -- Ryan Brennan of Unionville, Ontario, pleaded guilty to two violations of federal legislation for unlawfully importing four protected snakes into Canada. He was fined a total of $2,500.

In addition to the four animals being forfeited, the court also ordered that, for a period of three years, Mr.Brennan must notify Environment Canada at least one week prior to importing or exporting any and all reptiles internationally or interprovincially.

The violation, under the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act; pertained to two grey-banded king snakes and two Appendix I Madagascar tree boas, listed by the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). Mr. Brennan entered Canada with four snakes at the Queenston-Lewiston International Bridge on June 24, 2009. The snakes were detected by Canada Border Services Agency officers.

Mr. Brennan was also convicted of one violation under the Customs Act, administered by the Canada Border Services Agency.
    http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default...3-EFB3B675AC8D

Illegal importation of reptiles results in $1500 in fines

WINNIPEG, Man. -- July 27, 2010 -- A Winnipeg traveller pleaded guilty yesterday to charges of illegally importing two live iguanas from Mexico into Canada.

On July 26, 2010, Emlyn Henry of Winnipeg, Manitoba was sentenced to fines of $750.00 for one violation of the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA). Mr. Henry was also sentenced for one violation of the Customs Act (smuggling)and fined an additional $750.00.

Charges were investigated and laid jointly by Environment Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency on March 26, 2009 after the traveller was discovered to be in possession of the reptiles at Winnipeg’s James Richardson Airport.

The iguanas seized during this enforcement action have since been placed at the Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg.

Further information on WAPPRIITA may be found at http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/.
    http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default...n&n=FC999F47-1

Unlawful Import of Reptiles Results in Jail Sentence to be Served Conditionally in the Community, Restitution, Court Orders, and a Fine

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. -- August 3, 2010 -- Environment Canada announced on July 30, 2010 that Andrew Fruck of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, was sentenced in the Ontario Court of Justice, to a six month jail sentence to be served conditionally in the community, a probation order that includes restitution, and various other court orders, a forfeiture order and a fine. The sentencing is a result of Mr. Fruck pleading guilty on April 30, 2010 to one count of making false statements under the Customs Act and to 11 counts under the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA). The convictions were for violations involving nearly 1,500 reptiles that Mr. Fruck attempted to import illegally into Canada.

On September 15, 2009, Mr. Fruck arrived at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge and was referred for secondary inspection. During the secondary examination, CBSA border services officers found the nearly 1,500 reptiles, including tortoises, snakes, and turtles hidden behind the side panels of the van owned by Mr. Fruck. Of the animals seized, 36 of the tortoises and nine of the snakes are listed as controlled species under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and protected under WAPPRIITA and its regulations.

Environment Canada’s Enforcement Officers took custody of the reptiles and were able to return a majority of the non-CITES reptiles to Louisiana, where they likely originated, with the assistance of the Louisiana Department of Fish and Wildlife, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The reptiles were subsequently returned to the wild.

Mr. Fruck’s sentence also included a probation order with restitution totaling $5,795 for the shipping and care of the animals, an order to abstain from possessing live animals, an order to abstain from importing or exporting any live animal, an order allowing Environment Canada’s Enforcement Branch to conduct unannounced inspections of Mr. Fruck’s residence to verify compliance with other orders issued, and a $500 fine for the Customs Act charge, and an order to forfeit all seized reptiles.
    http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default...n&n=3294DA45-1

Alberta Man Found Guilty for Illegally Importing Snakes and Scorpions

EDMONTON, Alta. -- October 18, 2011 -- Terrell John Gruse, a resident of Edmonton, Alberta, was convicted on October 13, 2011, for illegally importing rattlesnakes and scorpions into Canada. His violations include two counts under the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA) and one count under the Species at Risk Act (SARA). Following the conviction, Gruse was sentenced to pay $10,000 in penalties of which $1,000 is a fine and $9,000 a contribution to the Environmental Damages Fund. He was also ordered to pay $1400 towards the care of the seized animals.

Following an investigation by Environment Canada, Gruse was charged in 2009 at the Kingsgate border crossing near Cranbrook, British Columbia. The investigation revealed that the snakes had been smuggled into Canada after being unlawfully harvested from the wild in the United States. Gruse had purchased the scorpions from a United States pet store.

The Environmental Damages Fund, administered by Environment Canada, was created in 1995 to provide a means for directing funds received from fines, court orders and voluntary payments to be used for the repair of the actual harm done to the environment.

Environment Canada works to ensure that companies and individuals comply with the conservation goals of environmental and wildlife protection acts and regulations.

Environment Canada has created a subscription service to help the public stay current with what the Government of Canada is doing to protect our natural environment. Subscribing to Environment Canada’s Enforcement Notifications is easy, and free. Sign up today.

For more information, please contact:

Media Relations
    Environment Canada
    819-934-8008
    http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default...n&n=37BF82CE-1

Mont-Saint Hilaire man found guilty of illegally importing tortoises

COWANSVILLE, Que. -- September 6, 2011 -- Jean François Hamel Duranceau, of Mont-Saint Hilaire, Quebec, has been fined $4,000, on September 2, 2011, for having illegally imported 20 live Geochelone sulcata tortoises.

In September 2009, Mr. Hamel-Duranceau was charged by Environment Canada of having contravened subsection 6(2) of the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA). He did not have the permit required under the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) to import Geochelone sulcata tortoises.

The facts alleged against Mr. Hamel-Duranceau are based on a secondary inspection of a vehicle at the St-Armand border crossing that revealed that 20 live tortoises were hidden in the bottom of a golf bag in the trunk of the vehicle used by the defendant.

The Canada Border Services Agency then requested the assistance of wildlife officers from Environment Canada, who came to seize the animals and the golf bag.

The Geochelone sulcata is a tortoise native to the South-Africa. It inhabits in the south of Sahara, Senegal, Mauritania, Chad and Niger.

CITES is an international agreement to regulate trade in specific species of wild animals and plants, as well as their respective parts and derivatives. Environment Canada is the lead agency responsible for CITES implementation in Canada. WAPPRIITA is the legislation used to implement CITES in Canada.

Further information on CITES and WAPPRIITA may be found at http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/.

Environment Canada has created a subscription service to help the public stay current with what the Government of Canada is doing to protect our natural environment. Subscribing to Environment Canada’s Enforcement Notifications is easy, and free. Sign up today.

For more information, please contact:

Media Relations
    Environment Canada
    819-934-8008
    http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default...n&n=E8F09534-1

September 30, 2008

Unlawful Import Of Reptiles Results In Fine

BROCKVILLE , Ontario -- Dennis R. Day of Cobden, Ontario was convicted in the Ontario Court of Justice on one count of unlawfully importing 11 baby Burmese pythons into Canada from the U.S. Mr. Day received a $2,500 penalty and was also ordered to forfeit the pythons plus 25 leopard geckos and one Florida king snake that were also seized. Of the total penalty, $1,500 was directed to the Environmental Damages Fund.

Mr. Day was charged on June 14, 2007 by Environment Canada’s wildlife officers under federal legislation, namely the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA). The charges were laid following the illegal import of the reptiles into Canada. Mr. Day failed to obtain the required Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) permit to import the Burmese pythons. The leopard geckos and Florida king snake are not protected under CITES, but are required to be declared at the border.

The reptiles were discovered by Canada Border Services officers during questioning of Mr. Day, a reptile distributor. The reptiles were seized by Environment Canada Wildlife Enforcement Division officers at the Canada-U.S. border crossing at the Port of Lansdowne.
    http://www.ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default...n&n=7C07390E-1

May 11, 2009

Illegal Trade In Ontario Species At Risk Results In Jail Term And $4,000 Fine

HAMILTON, Ontario- Emanuele Tesoro of Waterdown has been sentenced to two 90-day sentences in jail to be served concurrently, two years probation and fined $4,000 for violations related to the illegal trade of Species at Risk.

Dubbed ‘Operation Shellshock’, this joint international investigation concerned the illegal trade of Species at Risk between Canada and the United States. The multi-agency investigation was conducted by Ontario conservation officers, and officers from Environment Canada, Canada Border Services Agency, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the New York Department of Environmental Conservation.
    http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=1690952

Toronto man fined for sneaking snakes into Canada

By Karena Walter, The Standard

Friday, August 7, 2009 12:00:00 EDT AM

Snakes alive!

For the second time this week, a driver was fined in St. Catharines court for sneaking venomous snakes into Canada.

This time, the six reptiles included rattlesnakes hidden in a compartment under a vehicle's seat at the Peace Bridge.

Donald Pogue, 47, of Toronto was fined $1,000 for the attempted smuggling April 25 contrary to the customs act.

A Pennsylvania reptile show that day was so popular with Canadian snake enthusiasts, Environment Canada Wildlife Enforcement Division officers set up a joint effort at the border to thwart illegal entries.

Federal prosecutor Darren Anger said Pogue was crossing the bridge and was asked if he had any animals. He said no, but declared five cases of beer.

He was sent to a secondary inspection to verify the claim and officers noticed items for reptiles. Anger said Pogue was asked again if he had snakes and denied it, but volunteered the information when told his vehicle would be searched.

Customs officers found two banded rock rattlesnakes, two eastern coachwhip snakes, one mottled rock rattlesnake and one Florida cottonmouth snake.

Anger said Pogue paid $645 for the snakes and would have had to pay $39 in Canadian taxes. But he said Pogue didn't want to stay in the U.S. for more days to get the paperwork required for exporting them from the U.S. to Canada.

He said the $1,000 fine reflects the seriousness of importing animals not admissible to Canada and the health and safety risk to officers searching the vehicle.

Court heard Pogue has already paid $300 in fines to the province and is remorseful about the incident, which duty counsel told the court caused Pogue distress and lack of sleep.

Judge David Harris said the attempted smuggling charge is usually laid against people who try to avoid paying duties.

"In this particular case, you lied primarily to avoid a process you'd have to go through to buy the snakes illegally."

He's not the first.

On Wednesday, a Thorold man coming from the Pennsylvania show was also fined $1,000 for attempting to smuggle four pit vipers and six tree frogs into Canada on the same day.

Customs officials at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge found the snakes and frogs hidden in the lining of the man's coat.

Court heard he was also unwilling to wait for the required documentation to keep the animals.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corey Woods For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (04-30-2012),adamjeffery (04-30-2012),rabernet (04-30-2012),RobNJ (04-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExotixTowing View Post
    Just don't declare it haha

Seriously how many Snakes are shipped from the US to Canada every day ?
    Because it's illegal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12