Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,080

2 members and 1,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,121
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thermostat and heat gun reading

Ok guys I think it is offical I am crazy now in regards to temps for the tank. I will try to make this as short as possible. Have a 20g long tank, UTH under hot side which is hydrofarm thermostat controlled with probe on outside underneath tank. Accurite inside tank with probe hot glued to the bottom in middle of uth. I thought I had finally had it set and getting good readings with accurite at 90-92 with the thermostat set at 93.
    Picked up an IR temp gun today and lifted the hot hide and over the hot spot it read 83 on substrate. Moving the substrate so I could see the glass I got 90 on the gun which I can live with. I have about 1/2 of reptibark over UTH and accurite probe is buried in it somewhat but not touching bottom of tank. Am I way overthinking this and its fine or do I need to increase my thermostat temp setting and not trust the accurite probe since its buried somewhat. Or will my BP just burrow down if it needs to get warmer. I just thought with the gun would at least read close to 90 on top of the substrate after lifting the hide. All the other temps I am really happy with. Like I said I have gone full on crazy I can admit it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    You are not crazy, but you are starting to see one of the reasons why glass tanks are a PITA.

You'll want to bump up your UTH temp up some. 83 degrees on the substrate under the warm side hide kinda’ defeats the purpose of providing belly heat.

I would not count on your snake burrowing down to find more heat. Of course, on the flip side, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it might burrow right to the glass....Another reason I dislike glass tanks.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    This is why I don't recommend mulch type substrates with UTH's, it really just makes life far too difficult. My cages have either a sheet of paper, or corrugated wrap for substrate so the cage floor is the same temperature as the top of the substrate.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: Thermostat and heat gun reading

Slim you are def right on this tank becoming a bigger PITA each and every day lol. I am starting to envy tub owners. I will bump up my thermostat a little by little. After bumping it a few degrees when I first saw it I did get it to record 88 with sticking the gun at the entrance to the hide so I made progress. Question though, how much weight should I put into the accurite probe reading now on the hot side buried a little under subsrate?
    And I agree with you serpant merchant on the subsrate issue. I feel like I need a ruler to get it a perfect height to conduct the right heat. Im thinking about switching to corrugated cardboard after she settles in and eats for me a few times since she is still getting used to her surrondings.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    The good news is, most everything you are using in your tank right now could be transfered over to a tub set up. The tub itself is fairly inexpensive.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    Both acurites and temp guns have an error of +/- 2 degrees. This means that they can be up to 4 degrees apart when using both.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

Yeah def a relief knowing I if I do switch to tubs I wont have much expense. Im hard headed though and stubborn at least my wife thinks so, and will try to see I can get the tank to work. I was reading on the gun about the temp differntial and wow with both comined at a 4 degree swing its a lil scary. Im hoping if I can get it to 90 with the gun that might be the safest for the differences in both maybe.

Thanks
    This is why I use the Herpstat thermostat. the herpstats probe is extremely accurate (the herpstat has precision sensors with internal resolution of .1125 °F and is accurate to ± .9 °F) I know that I can trust my herpstat and only use thermometers as a backup incase of thermostat malfunction (which is extremely rare with herpstats) Even Still I set my herpstat to create a 90 degree hot spot that way I have some wiggle room on both ends of the spectrum.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 04-18-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

I guess I just need to pony up the money for the Herpstat. That is really nice how accurate it is. It would be alot easier then playing the tweaking of the temps game like I am doing. Thanks for the info. Know of any really cheap herpstats for sale, lol jk I can only wish.

Thanks

It's more of a problem with the substrate than the set-up. You'll have the same problem with a tub using a UTH and any considerable amount of substrate. To remedy this you can just do a very thin layer (so you can see glass and bits of substrate) in the hot hide, that way you know your snake has access to 90*, and the substrate can absorb a bit of excrement. Or just use a paper towel under the hide and keep substrate everywhere else if it's for aesthetic purposes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast