Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

1 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    If you just got these snakes, adn they were skinny, I would not breed them at all....no matter the weight......at least til next year. Let their systems come back......whats the hurry.....

Just my $.02

Jason

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTrott For This Useful Post:

Highline Reptiles South (04-13-2012),RobNJ (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    So just out of pure curiosity, what was the smallest female that anyone here has successfully bred? Just curious...

"Like" us on facebook
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs
    Like us on FACEBOOK...

Thanks
    Smallest female I have ever bred is 1750.......smallest female I have ever heard of lay eggs......850.

Jason

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oops, I was wrong.

Sorry, the previous pictures I posted were NOT my smallest female to lay eggs, she was my second smallest. I went through my pictures again and found one even smaller. Here she is.

Picture of her on her eggs.

Weight After Laying

The eggs.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

BallsUnlimited (04-12-2012),JenH (04-13-2012),Pinoy Pythons (04-13-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Sorry, the previous pictures I posted were NOT my smallest female to lay eggs, she was my second smallest. I went through my pictures again and found one even smaller. Here she is.

Picture of her on her eggs.

Weight After Laying

The eggs.
    How much did she weigh before breeding?

"Like" us on facebook
    Like us on FACEBOOK...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't remember. These pics are from 4 years ago.

Thanks
    Our smallest girl was about 1400-1500 just before laying and she laid 5 eggs. After laying she was at about 900g. The eggs were ugly when they came out, wrinkly and discolored in spots. We are fighting to keep them humid enough knowing they came out of her wrinkly. One has started to die but we can't seperate from the others just yet bc of how they are attached. Not due to hatch for another month and a couple days... so fingers crossed for the others. From what I have read, the egg problems may be related to calcium deficiency in the mother, so I wonder if it wasn't because her smaller size and producing 5 eggs. I haven't noticed anything wrong with her otherwise and she has started putting weight back on very quickly. We will see how the babies turn out, but I don't know her breeding history before coming to us or if this is her first clutch. May add calcium supplement to her diet in the future.

I certainly don't think it is just related to size, but more her specifically, as we have had other girls the same size approximately with perfect eggs.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 04-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    So I've been thinking about this thread a lot. First off: I don't think breeding those 1500+ gram girls you've gotten up to size is a problem.

But on the topic of 800-1000 gram females, unless they're older (4+ years) and it's very clear that they're well-fed and just smaller animals.... I simply wouldn't bother breeding them? Even if they lock, I wouldn't expect a younger animal of that size to ovulate. Even if she ovulated, I would expect either small eggs or a small clutch (1-4 eggs), probably both. And then they have to recover their breeding weight. Whereas waiting gives them an extra year of growth, and maybe I'd get a clutch of 5-8 eggs?

That's part of why I want to give my 2007 a year off after this season? She's het lavender, and I'm breeding her to another het lavender. She laid 5 eggs last year, and one of them was a visual lavender albino. She's got 4 follicles brewing up this year. It's only 1 in 4 chance per egg, right? So I kind of wish I'd given her the year off THIS season, and given her a chance to put on some real weight and make a nice big clutch instead.
    -Jackie Monk

Thanks

Re: Smallest female successfully bred?

Quote Originally Posted by JTrott View Post
    If you just got these snakes, adn they were skinny, I would not breed them at all....no matter the weight......at least til next year. Let their systems come back......whats the hurry.....

Just my $.02

Jason
    Best advice right there...no sense in rushing them, especially if they come from uncertain conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by loonunit View Post
    But on the topic of 800-1000 gram females, unless they're older (4+ years) and it's very clear that they're well-fed and just smaller animals.... I simply wouldn't bother breeding them? Even if they lock, I wouldn't expect a younger animal of that size to ovulate. Even if she ovulated, I would expect either small eggs or a small clutch (1-4 eggs), probably both. And then they have to recover their breeding weight. Whereas waiting gives them an extra year of growth, and maybe I'd get a clutch of 5-8 eggs?
    When I bred my 1,200 gram girl that was over 3 years old, I was thinking along the lines of her just being a smaller snake. After breeding, her appetite seemingly increase 5 fold, she had no problem putting weight back on, and has even far surpassed what I would have imagined. She's not a BIG girl yet, but bigger than I thought she would be by this time, and well on her way to laying for the second year straight.

Thanks

Re: Smallest female successfully bred?

Great advice, and I had no intentions of breeding them all. I just wanted to possibly pair one or two of the pastels. The only reason I wanted to try now is because we planned to move across the country in early may of next year. This means I've already planned on taking next season off. I have some projects that I'm a little ancy about is all, but with all that being said I think I will wait.

After all you guys know best, experience and wisdom are everything.
    Jackwagon Exotics Check out our page on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jackwa...81135488588036

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast