Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

2 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Always on cool side HELP!!!!!

So I picked up a hatchling western hognose from east bay vivarium two days ago. Ever since I bought her, she has been huddled up on the cool side under her hide. Her temps are good, with the hot side at 85-87. Why is she doing this???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    lol don't freak out. Two days?! That is NOTHING. Plenty of my snakes of many species will spend most of their time on the cool side, and usually use the warm side for digesting/basking for short periods of time.

That's about what I run my hot spot at for my hoggies, but keep in mind these aren't tropical pythons.. western hoggies extend to the northernmost states that border canada. They have a much more relaxed preferred temperature range.

If your cool side is room temp and you have a hot side that is mid-80s (or even upper 80s), your hognose will do its thing and find the most comfortable place.

Make sure you have two hides so that she isn't just choosing the hide over a preferred temperature, and you will be good.

I like to give my hognose a substrate they can burrow in if they choose to. I like to use plain jane unbleached care fresh, like you find in the small mammal section at pet stores.