Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

2 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Ball python morph standards? Shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    How would the possibility of disease spread be addressed? What's to stop joe blow from bringing in a snake infected with IBD, Paramyxo, or any of the other fatal goodies? They may not even know yet that their animal carries some of those, but it can still be spread to other animals. That's a legitimate concern, or should be for anyone who does truly care about their animals and their wellness.

I can see how people might find this sort of thing fun, and if someone can come up with a way to run it safely more power to you, but I'd stay as far away from something like this as I could get. It's not worth the possibility of wiping out my entire collection because of another keeper's negligence. And let's face it, negligence and ignorance are out there.
    How is the possibility of disease addressed at expos? It would be up to each person contributing to be aware of the health of their animals. Honestly, any time you purchase an animal from a show, there's a risk of something terrible happening. Every time you vend at a show, there's a risk of something terrible happening. This is why I personally won't buy at a show, even seeing some incredible deals, unless I see something truly exceptional. So for those who would use the possibility of disease as an excuse against this sort of exhibition, it doesn't really hold much water. I really don't have much opinion either way, if people want to do something like this, let them have at it...if not, fine.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

h00blah (02-18-2012)

Thanks
    Shadera, RobNJ, thank you both for your thoughts!

I have experienced this in cat showing. People are very picky about letting others pet or hold the cats, due to possible transmission of diseases. I think if proper QT rules after a show are followed, and the animals that are being sold and shown at the event are watched over carefully and handled as little as possible, by as few people as possible, it will reduce the risk to a negligible amount.

Thanks
    I think that a combination of ideas would be a good compromise.

Start off with 'for fun' judging at expos where whoever wants to can judge what snake they think is best. Not only does this introduce the idea to the community and get people more involved (and possibly help sales, after all, the ones voted as the nicest snakes of their morph would probably get snapped up quick).

Move on to specialized shows just for showing, but keep the 'everyone votes' aspect. This gives the community a chance to define categories, see what works and what doesn't, and finally and most importantly, start defining, based on what seems to get voted the most often, what makes an excellent example of each particular morph.

Then we could move on to 'panel of judges' style judging. With set categories, set descriptions of what they're looking for, etc, the judges would have something to go on, and the community would have had time to grow with and get used to the idea.

Now that that's over, I do have one thought: Many morphs look different from the time that they're babies, to juvies, to adults. Would they not only be judged by morph, pattern business, etc, but also age?

But yes, I can very much see this actually helping the prices of many particular snakes. If I saw a snake for sale that not only looked great, but the parents were champions, the grandparents also champions, etc, I would know that I'm getting a snake with quality bloodlines who would be a real asset to my collection.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett

1.0 Dachshund/Pomeranian mix (Loki)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverDemon For This Useful Post:

h00blah (02-18-2012),Rhasputin (02-18-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Snake lab, if you're going to post nothing but inflammatory remarks, please do it somewhere else.
    Hey you and hooblah can think what ya want. It wasnt sarcasm. Hooblah wondered what vendors would think. I simply stated i would ask today. I shot the idea to a few vendors and got the stink eye from them about it lol. I was just doing some field research. The general consensus i got was its a waste of time. Now that shouldnt be used as anything but the oppinions of a few. Hey if people want to do it great. Anything that gets more people involved in the hobby i say atta boy. As far as diseases and shows. I do agree that it can happen anywhere. Qt or not it can happen. I myself when i vend a show i have heat panels under all my displays and maintain good temps cause i care avout my animals. I only let serious buyers handle animals after they have used my hand sanitizer. I also never share deli cups or acrylic slots unless they are cleaned first. I take great pride in my animals. I dont think its fair for people to say they wont buy from a show because show animals arent healthy or taken care of. Remember alot of the same breeders you buy from online do the shows. I for one would rather see what im buying in person.
    Last edited by snake lab; 02-18-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to snake lab For This Useful Post:

h00blah (02-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    I don't think there would be a 60 day quarantine, that sounds like an awful long time. Is that the standard for snakes?

It wold be just like any other event where snakes and other reptiles are brought into the venue. Do they require QT for reptile conventions?
    It's SOP when I bring a new animal home, or I take any to an expo and bring them back into my home.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (02-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts
    I'm more for the participate if ya want route. It wouldn't take any time away from the vendors really o_O. The vendor would possibly have to make a sign or 2 that show which snake they entered into the contest. That way, when people are passing by, they will know which one it is. It would encourage people with a good eye to check out your table to see it, then possibly buy one of your high quality beauties! Or it would attract new guys to ur table to see. What makes it so exceptional! Who knows, they might be blown away and purchase a snake from your line!

You don't really have to take the snake out unless you submitted a yellowbelly lol. Then you can remove it, turn it over, then put it back :p. if someone asks to hold it, just say its against the rules .

I'm not sure what would take any time at all really. I think a show specifically for this contest would be a little overkill :s. An event (much like the panels at expos, and raffles) would probably be the best route for a first step lol. If that takes off, then maybe a contest show can be held idk lol. If it doesnt take off, then oh well! It didn't cost anybody money lol. Nobody is losing out on anything. And nobody is gaining anything :p
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h00blah View Post
    I'm more for the participate if ya want route. It wouldn't take any time away from the vendors really o_O. The vendor would possibly have to make a sign or 2 that show which snake they entered into the contest. That way, when people are passing by, they will know which one it is. It would encourage people with a good eye to check out your table to see it, then possibly buy one of your high quality beauties! Or it would attract new guys to ur table to see. What makes it so exceptional! Who knows, they might be blown away and purchase a snake from your line!

You don't really have to take the snake out unless you submitted a yellowbelly lol. Then you can remove it, turn it over, then put it back :p. if someone asks to hold it, just say its against the rules .

I'm not sure what would take any time at all really. I think a show specifically for this conteost would be a little overkill :s. An event (much like the panels at expos, and raffles) would probably be the best route for a first step lol. If that takes off, then maybe a contest show can be held idk lol. If it doesnt take off, then oh well! It didn't cost anybody money lol. Nobody is losing out on anything. And nobody is gaining anything :p

Now this format would be a fun way to ad something to a show and wouldnt see any issues with this. But a full blown ribbon show format like conventional dog shows i dont think would work at all. But i like this format.
    [IMG][/IMG]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to snake lab For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (02-18-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As someone who breeds and sell animals getting a ribbon would mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and it definitely would not justify putting any of my animal in jeopardy

I buy, holdback and breed selectively to provide my customers with high quality animals and I let THEM be the judge of my animal's quality not some random judge in some random show.

I believe that if you were to do a poll you would likely find out that the majority of breeders would not be interested in the idea.
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (02-18-2012),rabernet (02-18-2012)

Thanks
    Ok im confused. Can we get a clarification on this idea. Is the idea to have a reptile show like a dog show format or are we talking some sideshow thing attached to a regular vendor show?
    [IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

To suggest setting "standards" in ball pythons shows a lack of understanding of ball pythons.

How many generations of "line breeding" did it take to produce the various breeds of dogs ?? How many generations would it take to go from a poodle to a great dane ??

Get back to me in a century.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayCee For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (02-18-2012),rabernet (02-18-2012),snake lab (02-18-2012)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast