Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

0 members and 3,325 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    I think it really comes down to this:
    Dogs, Cats, Cattle...there are vaccines for all of the major illnesses these animals could transmit to one another, and vaccinations are required for them to enter shows.

There are no vaccines for any of the reptile viruses, and many of them are very deadly.

No one wants to risk that. I know I wouldn't. You don't just have animals on display, but in a show, they would be handled by a judge, which would increase the risk of transmitting something (even with hand washing).
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Shows require QT periods, as well as health checks. Judges routinely wash their hands or sanitize at mouse shows. Mice are known for being disease carriers and mite hosts, but it is extremely rare for a mouse to catch something durring a show, other than possibly sniffles which can be caused simply by the stress of being driven to and from the show.

It's something that ANYONE who shows ANY species has to come to terms with. Dog breeders and cat breeders could pass all kinds of deadly viruses and diseases back and forth between their animals, but most of the time things are carried out as safely as possible, and disaster is avoided every time.

Rabbits, pigeons, mice, cavies, chinchillas, there are no vaccine requirements for these animals, and they are shown often. Rats are another good example of excelent carriers for all kinds of uglies, but people show them often, and rarely RARELY have problems, when QT and health check is done.
    Last edited by Rhasputin; 02-16-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Ball python morph standards? Shows?

If there were a ball python show, I doubt the animals are going to be handled by judges if it came down to it. Mammals are handled and touched because they are being judged on body form. For example, dogs have to be symmetrical, have the correct body portions and movement when in the show ring. I doubt that really applies to reptiles as they were not bred to change their body form and function from the original ancestral species. Ball pythons would be judged solely on their paint job I imagine.....and that doesn't need handling. And people could also be required to wear gloves since they're not feeling for abnormalities and such. (The gloves won't get in the way I mean, since its just for handling)
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (02-16-2012)

Thanks
    That is a very good point, the pythons could be judged by going from table to table, or by bringing them to the judging table inside of a container, since they really do not need to be handled, and it would only stress the snakes out, honestly.

Good point, gooooood point!

And if we needed to judge belly colour, the owners could handle the snakes themselves. This would easily drop the possibilities of diseases spreading.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Yes. That's essentially what goes on during reptile expos anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (02-16-2012)

Thanks

The fact of not making sales would be more of a deterrent than the chance of spreading disease...trade shows seem to be doing just fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

rabernet (02-17-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    The fact of not making sales would be more of a deterrent than the chance of spreading disease...trade shows seem to be doing just fine.

Why would there be no sales?

Thanks
    I think snake shows would be awesome! It would be quite hard to establish a set standard for every morph, but it could be done. And it could just be for the fun of it. Why not? We have shows yes, but throw in some friendly competition and award some ribbons.

Now, one thing a judge may want to look for by handling the snake would be kinks. Sometimes kinks are hard to see, but easily felt. A kink could disqualify a python so that may be something to look for when judging.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts
    People can just submit a forms saying they want their pastel to be compared with other pastels, and have the people at the expo vote for who they think has the best one =p. The snake can stay at the owner's booth on display, and the people will be told where they can find these contestants! I walk around the expos anyways . When you see one, you can write it down or they can supply you with a form =p. That way you vote for it on the form, then submit it at the end! There's tons of little raffles, and I think this could just be one more little fun side-event that goes on at the expos ^_^

There doesn't even need to be a "standard". People will vote for what they like, and the snake with the most votes will be considered the best example AT THE EXPO. Not worldwide.. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to h00blah For This Useful Post:

Royal Hijinx (02-17-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Shows require QT periods, as well as health checks. Judges routinely wash their hands or sanitize at mouse shows. Mice are known for being disease carriers and mite hosts, but it is extremely rare for a mouse to catch something durring a show, other than possibly sniffles which can be caused simply by the stress of being driven to and from the show.

It's something that ANYONE who shows ANY species has to come to terms with. Dog breeders and cat breeders could pass all kinds of deadly viruses and diseases back and forth between their animals, but most of the time things are carried out as safely as possible, and disaster is avoided every time.

Rabbits, pigeons, mice, cavies, chinchillas, there are no vaccine requirements for these animals, and they are shown often. Rats are another good example of excelent carriers for all kinds of uglies, but people show them often, and rarely RARELY have problems, when QT and health check is done.
    I'm not willing to put my snakes through 60 day QT just for a show for judging. Just not that interested in that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Shadera (02-17-2012)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast