Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,199

0 members and 3,199 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How many ASF colonies should I have for my snakes

So my question is how many colonies should I have for my snakes, and how many grow out tubs will i need?
    At the moment I have 6 colonies and 7 snakes. I have plans to acquire at least 2 more snakes in the next 6 months.
    4 of my snakes are big enough to eat adult ASF's. My other 3 snakes would take a pre-adult ASF.
    I know that ASF's grow slow but have a lot of babies at once. I just dont want to get to the point where I have to many ASF's and wont have anything to do with them.
    I guess if I get to that point I could start trying to switch my snakes to frozen/thawed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have always been told/followed the rule of 1 female rat for every snake. ASFs do grow slower but have larger litters but I still think the same rule would follow. Better to have too many and freeze/sell then not have enough.

Thanks

Re: How many ASF colonies should I have for my snakes

noob question but what is a asf?
    1.7 normal bp
    2.1 het pied bp
    1.0 pinstripe
    0.1 giant jungle carpet (Nagini)
    2.4 dinkers !

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    An ASF is an African soft furred rat. A small cute rodent that looks kind of like a super cute mouse. Larger than a mouse. Huge litters. They chew everything. Jump very high. Are very skittish. Many are not tamable. The babies are born with fur and move a lot so they make great starter food for BPs.

Many breeders use them to start hatchlings. Some adult balls can get stuck on ASfs but not all. They are a good food source if you breed your own and can always have them available.

They are not legal in every state..

As for the OPs question. Once yours really start breeding and growing up, you have too many with so few snakes but like you said, you can just freeze them. It does take awhile to get your colonies established and you need to grow up a new male and new females every so many months to keep producing good litters so I think you'll be good with what you have for awhile once they really get going and you have surplus.
    Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 11-10-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks
    I was thinking about starting a colony of my own. I have 7 bps and a black blood on its way next week. are asf's too small for blood pythons? all of my bps are 300g or less at the moment. how would you recommend I start out my colony? how long does it take to get a good colony going?
    1.0 Bumblebee, 1.0 Super Pastel, 1.0 Cinnamon, 1.0 Mojave, 1.0 Yellowbelly, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Pastel 50% het Caramel, 0.1 Spider, 0.1 Normal, 0.2 het albino, 0.1 possible het red dinker, 1.1 CH granite dinkers 1.0 Woma

1.0 Hypo BCI, 0.1 Hypo BCI (25% BCC) 66% het Anery, 0.1 Guyana BCC, 0.1 Cay Caulkers Boa, 0.1 Dumerils Boa 0.1 Anery BCI

0.1 Black Blood Python, 1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python, 0.1 Jaguar Coastal Carpet Python 1.1 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Tiger Coastal Carpet Python 0.1 Coastal Carpet Python

1.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor 1.0 Hypo Citrus Pastel Beardie 0.0.1 Frilled Dragon 0.4 Leopard Geckos 1.0 Albino Black Rat Snake
    0.1 Russian Tortoise 0.0.1 Golden Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reakt20 View Post
    I was thinking about starting a colony of my own. I have 7 bps and a black blood on its way next week. are asf's too small for blood pythons? all of my bps are 300g or less at the moment. how would you recommend I start out my colony? how long does it take to get a good colony going?
    Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack..just hoping whoever can clear up your question could maybe clear up mine as well.
    1.0 Bumblebee, 1.0 Super Pastel, 1.0 Cinnamon, 1.0 Mojave, 1.0 Yellowbelly, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Pastel 50% het Caramel, 0.1 Spider, 0.1 Normal, 0.2 het albino, 0.1 possible het red dinker, 1.1 CH granite dinkers 1.0 Woma

1.0 Hypo BCI, 0.1 Hypo BCI (25% BCC) 66% het Anery, 0.1 Guyana BCC, 0.1 Cay Caulkers Boa, 0.1 Dumerils Boa 0.1 Anery BCI

0.1 Black Blood Python, 1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python, 0.1 Jaguar Coastal Carpet Python 1.1 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Tiger Coastal Carpet Python 0.1 Coastal Carpet Python

1.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor 1.0 Hypo Citrus Pastel Beardie 0.0.1 Frilled Dragon 0.4 Leopard Geckos 1.0 Albino Black Rat Snake
    0.1 Russian Tortoise 0.0.1 Golden Gecko

Thanks
    BTW for Cali people. Asf illegal. Just tossing that out their. Soil wisdom

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reakt20 View Post
    I think that they would be great for your BP's. It appears that blood pythons will eat almost anything you can put in front of it. But you will probably have to feed it 3 or more at a time, ASF's don't get very big.
    It does take some time to get them established. I got a starter colony back at the end of July. Once their first litter was old enough to wing, I went and bought a few more the same size to mix in to make up enough for 5 more colonies. And I'm just now getting a litter out of one of those new colonies. My original colony has produced 3 more since their first one for me. But none of those 3 are big enough to feed to my snakes yet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Driver For This Useful Post:

Reakt20 (11-10-2011)

Thanks
    6 colonies should be plenty to feed your reptile collection right now, and your new comers.
    If you can feed some f/t then it would definitely make it easier.

Thanks

Honestly, any excess African Soft Furs are not hard to sell. Most local pet stores will readily buy them off of you. As well as being able to post ads on craigslist and sell them locally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast