Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,006

1 members and 2,005 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    There is a huge difference in temperment and imo growth speed depeding on ur stock.

3 colonies and 2 came from one source and 1 came from a different one.

The lone colony is shy and nervous all the time.. The other two are super curious and friendly. Standing looking out of the tub soon as its open.

I noticed about 30 days difference in growth rate too. The lone tub took the full 4 months to be ready to go. The other 2 tubs had litters within 3 based on birth dates i was given.. Ill have better records and proof now that there producing and i can hold back myself

Edit:
    Genetics are key. I like these guys alot. They are a great feed source. Even with there slow growth rate. I just invested in a 27 tub rack to bump up production from my current 6 tub.

AND Even with 27 tubs. Ill still be better off then with a few tubs of horible smelling mice.
    Last edited by Simplex; 10-23-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    2.6 ball pythons 3.12 ASF
    Cofounder www.softfurs.com

Like us Facebook
    www.facebook.com/simplexserpents

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simplex For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (10-23-2011)

Thanks
    I want to start breeding rats to feed my balls but is it actually worth it frozen are only like 80 cents I just don't know lol seems like you guys have a great start

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've been breeding ASF's for years and years also. Mine don't bite, an occasional nip from a protective momma, but overall, they are more docile than most of my mice.

But, I still hate them.

Thanks

Re: ASF's have changed a lot over the years. More people should consider them.

Quote Originally Posted by spankege View Post
    I want to start breeding rats to feed my balls but is it actually worth it frozen are only like 80 cents I just don't know lol seems like you guys have a great start
    Depends on how many you have. It's worth it if you have a good collection, I'd say 3-4 or more.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I bred them 3 diff times. Each time for a year at a time.

All 3 times came from different sources from different parts of michigan and Ohio. Each time They were mean and Chewed the racks if i didnt have chew blocks in.

I dont have snakes that eat them, so i was breeding them and dropping off at BHB, and others that needed them. But it was PITA to deal with adults attacking my hand everytime id wean

Thanks

I started my colony almost 2 years ago! I would occasionally get bit. I always would feed off the nippy ones. This tread made me sit back and think. I can't remember the last time that I got nipped from a ASF. All of my girls let me reach under them and take babies away. I even started breeding some groups of 2.8 without any fights. I have about 12 tubs of them right now. I have selectively bred them to be white. I'm not sure if this is linked to temperament, but most of my colony is all white ASF's. I almost feel bad feeding the little boogers now

Thanks
    It's definitely not linked to temperament, my meanest ones are from you.
    Although, my sweetest one is a BEW, too.

Thanks

Maybe I just got lucky with mine. I separated the original group I got into 2 colonies. 1 for color and 1 for temperament. These same rats from the breeder I got them from will rush across their tub and maul his tongs. Even the tub selected for color is friendly. They'll rear up like a hamster and squeak qith their eyes closed, but will not bite. All are very curious. I'll see if the "temperament" tub gets progressively more outgoing, but I also think part of it is how you interact with them.

Breeder I got them. From uses tongs and admittedly isn't very nice to them. I started off handling them before they had their first litters, and gently scoot them off their babies. They're neat little critters to work with, and I have a couple that will let me scritch their heads while they close their eyes and stretch out their legs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    It's definitely not linked to temperament, my meanest ones are from you.
    Although, my sweetest one is a BEW, too.
    I used to get bit every time I cleaned. I fed off all of my old breeders and don't get bit anymore.

Thanks
    I haven't been breeding them for long (just got my starter colony from another member here about a month ago) but I have yet to get bit. When I check food and water each night, I reach my hand in the tub and rub the backs of each of the breeders and they seem to like it. I also try to touch the babies as much as I can so they get used to the idea...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast