Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

1 members and 3,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Problem with my ASF colonies

Ok, I am pretty new to ASF's. My dad had a couple that he was going to try and breed, and didn't have the time to, so I took them in. I have Ball Pythons so I figured that I would start breeding the ASF's along with my Normal rats, in seperate racks of course. Here's the issue, for a while things were going well. Good numbers in the litters, the majority of them weaning and growing just fine. Now for the last couple of weeks things have changed. Most of the pinkies disappear with in days of being born, I thought that maybe the older babies were smothering them out, but I'm not sure. And now babies that are just getting into the hopper stage seem to get sick and die off. And than I find little mostly eaten bodies in the bins. They seem to leave the hides and eat everything else. I am at al complete loss as to what is going on. The ASF's are kept in a rack system with watering system in place, they have water availible at all times, I feed them the LabDiet 5001, was thinking of changing to 5012, and the tubs are cleaned on a regular bases. Now the "Rat Room" is a room with no windows so has no natural light. Would this be causing problems? I did think so since most rodents live under ground. I go in and turn on the lights every morning roughly around the same time everyday and turn them off roughly around the same time everyday. Any help would be apprecaited. I don't like finding little mutilated bodies. My Normal rats seem to be doing fine.

Thanks
    I ment that I didn't think that the room with no windows would be a problem since most rodents live under ground or in dark places. Sorry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Have you checked the watering line to make sure it's flowing properly, and not clogged?
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Yes I have, I check it every night.

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    Are they given enough food? Are they perhaps overcrowded? I have once heard that mice will eat sick.mice in a colony to stop the soread of the sickness. Im not saying thats what it is, but all factors need to be considered
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks
    If nothing is wrong with your setup (enough room, plenty of food and water, good climate controls, etc.) then you might want to consider feeding them off and starting again.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: Problem with my ASF colonies

Not familiar with the food you are using. Usually what you are describing suggests that they either don't have enough food, or the food isn't good enough, or ran out of water, or they stressed, or they are set up wrong.

What ratio do you have your breeding groups set up in? how many males, how many females?

What size tubs are you using?

At what time do you pull out the kids?

How are you feeding them?
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (09-29-2011)

Thanks
    I agree, it sounds like they're not getting enough of something. Either the watering system isn't working as well as you think it is, you're not feeding enough, or the food they're getting isn't proper for them.

Overcrowding is also an option. It would mean less food and water for everyone too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

Mike Cavanaugh (09-29-2011)

Thanks
    I have them in a rack setup and each tub is 1 of those cement mixing tubs. The ratio is either 1.3 or 1.4, and I put fresh food in every night, they normally still have some food still in the tub with them when I put more in. I check all the water dispensers each night to make sure they are flowing right. I am refilling the 5 gallon bucket about every 3 days for 10 tubs. I pull the babies out at around 4 weeks of age, normally a day or so before mom has another litter, or right after she has a new litter. Would barking dogs stress them out that bad? I have them next to my dog room. I was thinking of switching the rooms around and moving the dogs to the laundry room which still isn't to far away. But the dogs have been here since before the rats. I would of thought that if that was the stresser I would have seen this happening months ago. Thanks again for the help.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: Problem with my ASF colonies

The dogs aren't the problem.

How old are the breeders?

Again, I am not familiar with the food. what is the nutritional breakdown?

Can you post a picture of the setup?

What are you using for substrate?

Just an observation... you should be able to pull the kids out earlier then a day before the mom delivers the next batch. I pull mine out the moment their eyes are open.

Another observation... And it is just my opinion... Automatic water systems are way more trouble then they are worth, especially if you have a small colony of only 10 tubs. Problems with them are the norm, not the exception.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (09-30-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast