Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

2 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Some quick help please...

I got a call when I got to work about a found ball python. It was found in a woman's strawberry garden and tangled in the wire. I of course ran right over there thinking I was going to foster it until it's owner reported it missing or I was getting a new free ball python lol. I arrive to this:

My first thought was that it is a corn snake. My second thought was that is an indigenous eastern milk snake. I'm leaning more towards the milk snake but I wanted to get opinions first. Please let me know...He's a cute little guy and hasn't bitten me and has allowed me to handle him. It's gonna kill me to let him go if it's a wild snake, but I know I'll have to.

What is he??!
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Got one text from a friend saying corn snake and one text from another friend saying eastern milk snake. Someone help so I know whether I should let this little guy go??
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    He's not a corn, that much I know. I'm not well-familiar with the eastern milk snakes, but based on your location (and a bit of digging), that would be my guess.

There's a thread in the Field Herping forum with some pictures identifying this species as the eastern milk, here. They might be able to help you out, if you'd like another opinion.
    1.0 Dinker BP (Golly), 0.1 Cinnamon (Cynthia), 0.1 Albino (Reisling), 1.1 Het Albinos (Nicholai and Alexis)

1.0 Blizzard Corn (Mayo), 1.0 Ghost (Louis), 0.1 Multihet (Clementine), 1.0 Lavender Motley (Conrad), 1.0 Lavender (Grimwald),
    0.1 Hypo Lavender (Saleen), 0.1 Ghost Bloodred (Roselyn), 0.1 Ghost Motley (Constance), 0.1 Caramel (Isolde), 0.1 Charcoal (Astrid),
    0.1 Anery Stripe (Eve), 0.1 Caramel Stripe (Tabitha)

1.1 Western Hognose (Sammy and Ophelia)
    And 0.1 California King (The Mad Medu)!

Thanks
    Eastern milk. Looks like he could use some groceries, though.

Thanks
    Timber rattlesnake!

Very calm for a wild, they always wiggle around looking to get away quickly

Thanks
    I decided to keep the little bugger. He's very friendly and looks like he can use some groceries as well. I brought him home and he immediately burrowed under the aspen and relaxed. He's a cool little critter...and I decided to name him Barry...because he was found in a strawberry garden lol.

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Eastern milk snake... They looks soooo similar to corns but colors are way off... he/she have kind of Evil Face .. you know ??

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    Its an eastern milk. Many of them will give a hard time as captive species. Even the CB ones I've rarely seen are supposedly hard to keep. They can be very picky eaters, there is no one thing that they will definatly mow on. Most people have success feeding them small lizards/skinks.

If you're going to keep it. I'd suggest a very strict quarantine. Keep it as far as possible from your collection. If you have other CB animals quarantined, keep him away from them as well. Its highly likely he has internal parasites or something else kicking around. Taking him to the vet to get everything worked over is a must if you want to fully incorporate him into your collection.

Hes a lovely looking fellow. I dont know hes worth the trouble he may cause you though lol.

Thanks
    Because I've gotten half and half answers for each it makes me really nervous to release him. I'm going to attempt to feed him a mouse tomorrow night and see how he eats it, and I will be sending a fecal sample to my vet to check for parasites...which is one of the first things I thought. Are they known to eat rodents as well? I was under the impression that they have similar diet to corn snakes in captivity...

Thanks
    Im 99.99% sure its a eastern milk. They can feed on mice or rats if its willing. Ive heard people feeding them birds before, I'm not sure what type of bird/chicks they used. Most commonly Ive heard of people feeding them other lizards. Anoles/Skinks or what have you.

Try him on rats or mice first for a week or two. If he doesnt budge, you can also try chicks/lizards. Or you can just go let him off a heavily wooded creek area if worst comes to worst and can't get him to eat, or the tests come back and he has something your not willing to deal with.

Talking to someone who has been working with milks for a while might be a good idea. Get it straight from the horses mouth! Im not sure how much progress has been made with CBs, I barely know anyone that has had one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast