Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

0 members and 3,411 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation !!WARNING!! don't ship UPS

six days ago on nov 22 i Purchased female chocolate BP from an add on kingsnake.com and it was shipped that day via ups overnight. i was told that it would be arriving the next day at 4:00pm... the next day at 4:00pm i called ups to ask what the problem was sense my package was nowhere to be found and they told me that there had ben mechanical problems somewhere in Kentucky and it was probably nearing its destination now. the next day at 4 i reseved the package and after opining it i fount to be empty except for the usual fome sides and wadded up news paper but no snake. i agin called ups and after 15 minutes of giving this lady all this information and having to repeat this 20 digit tracking number over and over she finally told me that i could not file a claim because
    ''WE DON'T SHIP SNAKES''
    someone new what it was and new that their is nothing i can do about it because they ''DON'T SHIP SNAKES''

just a warning
    i don't recommend ups

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: !!WARNING!! don't ship UPS

I hate to say this, but the "Don't Ship UPS" sort of generates an automatic response in me of "Well, duh!"

But besides that...a package with no content in it demands a lot more investigation than just a mere assumption that a UPS employee somehow "knew" what was in there and figured he couldn't get in trouble for stealing it. (At least that's what it seems like you're implying.)

NO, you can't make a claim against loss for a package that should not have shipped in the first place. But, if I were to somehow find myself in your shoes, you can be darned sure I would be all over the seller saying, "Where's the snake?!?" It seems far more likely that you were scammed out of the animal than someone stole it.

Was the box labeled? Was the strapping tape tampered with at all? If the box wasn't labeled, how would a UPS employee know what was in it to steal? If the box WAS labeled, how did it get past the UPS nazi's in the first place? Is the box damaged with a hole that would allow the snake to escape?
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I thought it was well known that UPS didn't ship snakes, I'm sorry that happened to you but for the safety of the animals you should only go through services that actually allow snakes

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Who was the snake from?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd also like to know who the seller was.

Thanks
    Who is the seller and why did they ship UPS in the first place? Lots of questions need to be answered, we can't just assume the facts by what you told us, we need more information.

Sounds like a bad situation, we just need more information.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Sad to say, pretty much everyone who wants to get a snake shipped should do enough homework to know that shipping UPS is in fact, illegal.

As well as wanting to know where the snake went, I'd ask UPS about filing a complaint against the seller. After all he/she knowingly broke the law.

As to your claim of someone there knowing there was a snake inside and deciding to steal it, that is far-fetched at best. Unless the box was plainly labeled as containing a snake, how would anyone know what was in it? And just as Judy said, if it were labeled as containing a snake, why on earth did they accept the box in the first place ?

I'd be a lot more concerned about why on earth a seller was using UPS in the first place, since they should ALL know not to do that. That would be the equivalent of shipping a pipe bomb through the post office in a box labeled "explosives". No body in their right mind would try it.

So I'd be contacting that seller, and demanding to know why they used an illegal shipping method. If that method was stated in the ad, then I'm sorry to say, you should have done some more research. I'd never accept a live animal being shipped to me unless I knew for a fact it was being sent to me legally and safely.

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 11-28-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Sad to say, pretty much everyone who wants to get a snake shipped should do enough homework to know that shipping UPS is in fact, illegal.

As well as wanting to know where the snake went, I'd ask UPS about filing a complaint against the seller. After all he/she knowingly broke the law.

As to your claim of someone there knowing there was a snake inside and deciding to steal it, that is far-fetched at best. Unless the box was plainly labeled as containing a snake, how would anyone know what was in it? And just as Judy said, if it were labeled as containing a snake, why on earth did they accept the box in the first place ?

I'd be a lot more concerned about why on earth a seller was using UPS in the first place, since they should ALL know not to do that. That would be the equivalent of shipping a pipe bomb through the post office in a box labeled "explosives". No body in their right mind would try it.

So I'd be contacting that seller, and demanding to know why they used an illegal shipping method, and asking for proof of shipment.

Gale
    Shipping a snake UPS is NOT illegal - it's against their policy.

However, not labeling the box correctly indicating what is inside the box is a violation of the Lacey Act and a federal violation.

You may be thinking of shipping USPS, in which case, shipping snakes through them IS illegal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

BAMReptiles (11-29-2010)

Thanks

sounds to me like you got scammed from the start.

If UPS took your snake due to infractions, they would have told you. I also HIGHLY doubt someone stole it out of the box. sounds like what most likely happened is your breeder took your money and sent you a empty box so you would have "track shipment number" while he waited for the payment to clear and scam complete.

This has never happened to be but has always been a fear every time I order. Make sure you do a little research and know who your getting your animals from, Any one can find a picture of a snake, put it on the internet, and send you a empty box.

Registered User Cody John Steele's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BbyBoa View Post
    sounds to me like you got scammed from the start.

If UPS took your snake due to infractions, they would have told you. I also HIGHLY doubt someone stole it out of the box. sounds like what most likely happened is your breeder took your money and sent you a empty box so you would have "track shipment number" while he waited for the payment to clear and scam complete.

This has never happened to be but has always been a fear every time I order. Make sure you do a little research and know who your getting your animals from, Any one can find a picture of a snake, put it on the internet, and send you a empty box.

I agree...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast