Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

3 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

RI question for you breeders......

Guys, I had a female pass away from a really bad RI about a month ago. I moved her into quarentine as soon as I discovered the RI and she passed two weeks later. I have 9 other BP's from the same rack and they all seem fine. The vet said that it could take 2-3 months for another one to show symptoms.

If another one gets an RI, I know to take it to the vet ASAP, but what can I do for my other girls? Should I have the rest of them treated along with the sick one......since that would be another RI for a 2nd BP? What have you done when/if any of your BP's has gotten an RI and it spread to another BP in the rack?

I am basically asking if I should have the vet give me a supply and treatment of Baytril for all my other BP's. I was thinking if another got sick, I would have the vet do a culture and whatever he prescribes for the sick one maybe I should treat all the others.

Thanks
    Most vets will not give you medicine for animals they have not seen, you have to pay for the whole appointment/check up stuff...

Thanks
    So do you just assume all the others are fine after one gets an RI and just keep an eye on them? I mean, if one gets sick a month later, it gets treated and quarantined, then 2 months later another gets sick and even gets the one that was just sick again, it would be a never ending cycle wouldn't it? Sorry for all the questions, it seems there is not a lot on RI care, prevention, explanation that I can find and since I lost a girl to it, I just want to know more.

I was just curious what you big breeders do (or little breeders). If one gets an RI and RI's are very very contagious, I would think there is a real good chance at least a few others would have an RI. When I check my temps/humidity, I always listen for liquid-like breathing. I thought I heard one of my girls breathing with congestion yesterday but I couldn't hear it again after listening for another 10 minutes. I maybe just "over-worried" but if another gets an RI a month after the other one passed away, I am really going to be just totally clueless.

FYI, my temps are 90-92 on the hot side, 82-84 on the cool side, humidity is consistent at 53-65%, 41q Sterilite tubs, melamine rack. All are eating fine and let me handle them with no problem, hissing, etc. All are gaining weight well too. Thanks for any help on this subject.

Thanks

it's official, another damn RI.......WTF

I heard my girl breathing congested today so I moved her into quarentine. I took her to the vet a couple hours later. She has a mild RI with minor bubbling in the mouth. I left her at the vet........he is going to Nebulize her ASAP and again in the evening, along with a shot of Baytril, and 2 take home shots of Baytril. What do you guys think of this treatment? What do you recommend I do at home? Her quarentine tub is a 41q tub, half of it is at 92 and it gradually goes down to 78-79 on the cool side (I cannot get the cool side up to the usual 82 for my quarentine tub).

Thanks for any advice if there is anyone that can help me out. Is there a website or sticky on treating RI's?