Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

2 members and 2,876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Trying to "edit" photos

my attempt, a few are gunna hate it, and some might actually like it, but im just learning.

1.0 Normal ball python
    and my other animals 1.1 dogs

BG and Skiploder fan

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Re: Trying to "edit" photos

Pretty cool
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iCandiBallPythons For This Useful Post:

dc4teg (07-14-2010)

Thanks

It's all right, considering that you're still learning. (though you never really "stop learning" when it comes to photography. That's the fun part!)

Can I come with a few advice?

What type of camera you have will define how good quality your photos have. Whenever snapping a shot, it's important to think "Will the object I'm shooting give nice balance in this picture?" If it doesn't, but still turns out great, you can just crop it a little to make it better balanced.
    Pretty much always when snapping portrait photos of living things, you should always have the focus on the eyes. The eyes is what our eyes search for in a photo, and if they're blurry, the quality of the photo decreases a lot. (All rules have a "but", meaning if the focus-point is different in order to create something artistically different, then it's okay)

And when you're editing a photo, you need to make sure that the white-balance is correct (unless it's artistically supposed to be off), which I can see is a little blue on your last photo. Blue creates a very cold feeling. And yellow and red creates hot. Snakes in cold settings seems a little weird.

On the first photo, you have a very dreamy effect. Normally I would advice against using that sort of effects, but I guess that just comes down to personal taste of what you like.

The colors on both of your photos seems a little burned and "too" sharp. Too much contrast? But this really depends on what type of camera you have, and what lense. The more expensive, the usually better. (Sadly. :p )

Best advice I really can give you, is to play around as much as possible with editing your photos, find out what you like, and absolutely check around at for example Deviantart.com and search out professional photographs. What effects do they use? How do they crop their photos? What's in focus?

There's a bazillion types of photograph-styles and editing styles. If you search around at Deviant Art, you'll find a lot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CamStatic For This Useful Post:

dc4teg (07-14-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CamStatic View Post
    It's all right, considering that you're still learning. (though you never really "stop learning" when it comes to photography. That's the fun part!)

Can I come with a few advice?

What type of camera you have will define how good quality your photos have. Whenever snapping a shot, it's important to think "Will the object I'm shooting give nice balance in this picture?" If it doesn't, but still turns out great, you can just crop it a little to make it better balanced.
    Pretty much always when snapping portrait photos of living things, you should always have the focus on the eyes. The eyes is what our eyes search for in a photo, and if they're blurry, the quality of the photo decreases a lot. (All rules have a "but", meaning if the focus-point is different in order to create something artistically different, then it's okay)

And when you're editing a photo, you need to make sure that the white-balance is correct (unless it's artistically supposed to be off), which I can see is a little blue on your last photo. Blue creates a very cold feeling. And yellow and red creates hot. Snakes in cold settings seems a little weird.

On the first photo, you have a very dreamy effect. Normally I would advice against using that sort of effects, but I guess that just comes down to personal taste of what you like.

The colors on both of your photos seems a little burned and "too" sharp. Too much contrast? But this really depends on what type of camera you have, and what lense. The more expensive, the usually better. (Sadly. :p )

Best advice I really can give you, is to play around as much as possible with editing your photos, find out what you like, and absolutely check around at for example Deviantart.com and search out professional photographs. What effects do they use? How do they crop their photos? What's in focus?

There's a bazillion types of photograph-styles and editing styles. If you search around at Deviant Art, you'll find a lot.
    WOW thanks for the great advice

ya Im just a noob... not looking for professional photography....

Did you go to school for this stuff because you know what your talking about!

Thanks for the tips and the camera is just a crappy cannon powershot a570... nothing much
    1.0 Normal ball python
    and my other animals 1.1 dogs

BG and Skiploder fan