Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

1 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D.O.A. Inquiry

Thanks

Re: D.O.A. Inquiry

I believe that the buyer should have been there, or made arrangements for someone to be there. I know I do if I am receiving a package. I have even talked to my delivery person, and they know to take it to a local store, for me to pick up later. If the package was not signed for, and left on the doorstep, this is out of your hands. You should not have to pay.

As for the USPS shipping... I do not know due to the snake not being alive. Depending on the heat, 2 days can make for a very smelly package.
    1.1 CRT Boa -Anery 100% Het Snow . , Salmon 66% P. Het Snow
    3.5 Normal BP Some are P. Het for Axanthic, and Snow
    1.1 Mojave BP
    1.0 Spider BP
    0.1 Pastel BP
    2.0 Fire BP
    1.0 Ghost
    0.1 Possible Axanthic

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

If the person was not there to sign for the package and signature was required, then this results as a failed first attempt which voids live arrival. you can not be held liable for a animal left on the door step to cook in the heat when he should of been there
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 07-08-2010 at 02:03 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

HighVoltageRoyals (03-16-2011),jkobylka (07-08-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valleysnakeguy View Post
    Ok, it's been 24 hours since the animal's departure from my location.

I have been provided with photos that cannot determine the validity of a DOA, so a video was also e-mailed and I was willing to completely make this right and refund everything including shipping. I have requested the reptile be frozen, and sent back to me immediately but the customer decided to send him back by USPS 2 day service - from what I gather, this is not legal?

Also, upon verification of other venues I also have noticed that the package was never signed for, and according to the courier there was no one available to sign and therefore left at the front door.

I believe it is common sense to have someone be present for the signing of such delivery, is it fair to say I am no longer liable for this loss?
    IMO, if the package was never signed for and the buyer left the animal outside to bake, you are not responsible. However, if the package was guaranteed by noon and you received the email at 12:30pm, I'd say that the animal died sometime in transit.

Either way, unless I could prove that it was there fault, I'd bite the bullet and refund the cost of the snake and shipping. I also wouldn't have shipped any live animals at this time of the year. Even in Michigan we are having unearthly hot spells. I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting anything live in a box and shipping it.

Thanks

Very much agree with all that posted...Did you pack the snake with cold packs? Sorry, if you mentioned that...

We are entering the hot part of the year for shipping and thus everyone needs to be careful shipping and receiving...Just make sure you get the proof, do what's right and move on...The reptile community is very close and "karma is a beyoch..."
    I'm FedEx Certified...
    Bearded Dragon's and a small collection of snakes are my focus...
    "When the ocean dies, surfing dies..."
    "Punish the deed, not the breed..."

Thanks

DO NOT freeze the animal.

if you're going to get a necropsy done, freezing it could destroy any evidence.

Refrigerate it.

Thanks

This is why I make a video of any snake unboxing as soon as it comes in.
    (Well, and also for my Youtube channel.)

If something is DOA, I have video proof of me opening it. Haven't had a problem though.

Thanks

With the bump, this old thread caught my eye...

We are working now on Terms and Conditions for live arrival insurance for ShipYourReptiles.com. I am going to incorporate the video suggestion as proof of DOA into the requirements, that is an excellent idea.

As for this particular DOA, from a breeder's perspective, requiring someone to return a DOA seemed like a good idea in the beginning, but in the end, it's not. It just adds expense, inconvenience, more heartache, and being such a rare occurrence, if I think it is a scam, then I would just not do business with that person again.

They MUST be there for the first delivery attempt though. No excuses for missing it, or not noticing the package has been left at the door for the last 4 hours. Be alert and anticipate the package arrival, ALWAYS.

That said, it has been perhaps 2 years since our last shipment DOA at Pro Exotics, and that is with perhaps a thousand animals shipped each year. It is a very rare occurrence, as long as we use appropriate packaging, and watch for inappropriate weather.

For something that happens so infrequently, I have to chalk it up to bad luck, make the refund, and do it with a smile. I may ask for a pic, they may volunteer one, and typically a dead and limp snake in hand is all the visual info I need. I don't ask the customer to jump through further hoops, nor do I look to incur more shipping costs for a dead animal that has no further use.

I suppose you could try and keep the animal from rotting and do a necropsy, but that is another two or three hundred dollars, and again, with the rarity of the situation, I am just looking to make it right for the customer.

DOAs may happen, but they should be INCREDIBLY infrequent, and I worry more about the customer's satisfaction and experience, rather than worry about getting more proof (and smelly rotten proof at that) of a sad, dead snake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

Emilio (03-16-2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12