Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,289

1 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Strange Squeaking Snake

We have a small ball python, who we've had since last August. She's shed three times, and is due for a fourth. She's grown quite a bit, eats once a week like clockwork, poops regularly, and pretty much stays in her little cave. We try to handle her at least once a day.

Over the past couple weeks, we've noticed that the snake squeaks during handling. She can be held for a while, then she starts to squeak and squirm. Before then, her breathing is fine. When she's put back into her tank, she'll open her mouth once or twice, and then she's fine again. She has been sitting in the back of her hide rather than at the entrance more as well.

I should add that, back in December, this snake had a full-fledged "panic attack," where she just sat on the rim of her dish, filled up her lungs, and squeaked. I took her to the doctor that day, who put her on a course of antibiotics thinking that it was an RI. Through that entire trip to the doctor, she was absolutely quiet, giving one small squeak later that night. She started to shed a few days later.

I know the conventional wisdom is that this should be an RI, but it doesn't seem to me that RIs should be situational. Any thoughts?

Facts:
    30 gallon tank with heat lamp near middle and UTH at one end
    85 degrees, around 30-40% humidity, supplemented with a wet paper towel in her hide changed twice daily
    Astroturf substrate
    Two hides, though prefers the one on the UTH, obviously.
    Large water bowl.

Thanks

Re: Strange Squeaking Snake

Sounds like RI still. Bump the temps, and your humidity looks really low. And a wet paper towel probably doesn't do enough. Do you need the heat lamp? You should cover part of the tank with a towel and mist the enclosure.

Other know more about aquariums than I do, they probably have more tips.

Do you see any bubbles in the mouth area, or does it look swollen?