Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,247

2 members and 1,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Website beginner

We are wanting to create a website at work and I have been interested in learning how, so what better way then on the companies dime?

I know NOTHING about ANYTHING on building websites. I think I want to get a software package but not real sure what is the best. I would like to learn HTML, I think, but I am not sure what is the best format.

I am pretty lost on all this so any help would be great.

Thanks
    Mike
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

Re: Website beginner

It's very rewarding to create your own website and way cheaper than paying someone else to do it for you. I designed my own snake site (click on my banner to check it out) after reading a book that I will recommend to you. It's called 'The Non-Designer's Web Book' by Robin Williams & John Tollett. It gives you all the basics you need for getting started on designing a website. As far as software goes, I hear a lot of people like Dreamweaver. I am hoping to take a Dreamweaver class in the near future but have not worked with it so far. I designed my site with Web Easy, which cost less than $100 and is very easy to work with. I haven't worked with anything else yet to compare it with, though. Good luck!
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks

I got a book called "Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 hours"

I have learned a little and it is very easy.

I was going to try to do some HTML on here but it didn't turn out right, I thought we could use HTML code on here? Am I wrong?

Mike
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I bought Dreamweaver and got my son to do our site.

It's always a work in progress.

Last summer I had him insert the PDG shopping cart. Now that is a lot of work, it interfaces with my Quick Books, and takes credit cards online.
    I've always been a boa girl at heart.
    Where reptiles are not just apart of our lives, they are our lives.
    They are Living art.

www.boasandballs.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to boasandballs For This Useful Post:

hoax (04-10-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoax View Post
    I was going to try to do some HTML on here but it didn't turn out right, I thought we could use HTML code on here? Am I wrong?

Mike
    No HTML in the threads. The forums use a BB code that has similar tags for some simple tasks like enhancing text and inserting pictures and links, but that's it.
    -- Judy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

hoax (04-10-2010)

Thanks

I have been doing web design for over 10 years. I would suggest Dreamweaver as suggested above. There are MANY MANY MANY books and lots of online tutorials. Basically, find a method of learning that works for you. If you learn hands on, video tutorials or classes will work best. If you have good reading comprehension, just do some google searches for beginner Dreamweaver tutorials.

Myself, I use Notepad++. The comfort of an IDE to do most of the coding for you is way to easy to get use too, then you start to loose what it means to really understand a lot of the code. Nothing irks me more than a decent web designer that uses a specific CSS tag or javascript but can't explain why he uses it or how it works.

I just expect more from the people I work with though. I would never criticize anyone else unless they asked me to.

Good luck! And don't forget to watch the "You suck at photoshop" series on YouTube if you want to get into Photoshop design.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jfreels For This Useful Post:

hoax (04-10-2010)

Thanks

intuit it where its basicly set up for dummies
    http://www.intuit.com/
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 771subliminal For This Useful Post:

hoax (04-10-2010)

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

if i register my domain through intuit, do i have to use their website layouts, or can i create one from scratch using software like dreamweaver?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boasandballs View Post
    I bought Dreamweaver and got my son to do our site.

It's always a work in progress.

Last summer I had him insert the PDG shopping cart. Now that is a lot of work, it interfaces with my Quick Books, and takes credit cards online.
    I would like to get into Dreamweaver to make some really sweet sites but for now I think I should learn the basics, even if that means I go and get Dreamweaver in a month.

That PDG deal does sound complicated, but Über slick.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    I have been doing web design for over 10 years. I would suggest Dreamweaver as suggested above. There are MANY MANY MANY books and lots of online tutorials. Basically, find a method of learning that works for you. If you learn hands on, video tutorials or classes will work best. If you have good reading comprehension, just do some google searches for beginner Dreamweaver tutorials.

Myself, I use Notepad++. The comfort of an IDE to do most of the coding for you is way to easy to get use too, then you start to loose what it means to really understand a lot of the code. Nothing irks me more than a decent web designer that uses a specific CSS tag or javascript but can't explain why he uses it or how it works.

I just expect more from the people I work with though. I would never criticize anyone else unless they asked me to.

Good luck! And don't forget to watch the "You suck at photoshop" series on YouTube if you want to get into Photoshop design.
    What is Notepad++? I will definitely be getting dream weaver and photoshop, it is after all being funded by bigger pockets than my own so the sky is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by 771subliminal View Post
    intuit it where its basicly set up for dummies
    http://www.intuit.com/
    I really want to learn how to write the code first so when I run into specific problems later I will already know how to fix it instead of not having a clue where to look, but I do want to get some software to save time in writing code by hand later on.

Nate your avatar is hilarious. I will have to try Lynda $25 a month how can you beat that?
    Last edited by hoax; 04-10-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast