Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

3 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xanax

Thanks

Re: Xanax

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Unless you are a licensed physician/nurse practitioner/etc, please don't give out medical advice regarding prescription drugs.

All prescription drugs have side effects. I hope everyone who takes them knows and understands the intended AND side effects, and understands dosage and potential risks.

"All Natural" is a myth. The word "nature" itself is contorted and meaningless, and is often used to imply that human existence itself is "unnatural".

There are many methods to combat anxiety and depression. As I'm sure anyone who has been prescribed anti-anxiety drugs knows, there is no magical happy pill that fixes all problems in life. Believe me when I say that doctors and their various counterparts that help people deal with depression and anxiety don't just toss patients out the door with a bottle of pills and call it a good day's work. No discussion about treating either problem is complete without covering exercise, diet, and sleep, and I'm sure that the OP's doctor did cover those topics.

However, to blatantly call all drugs, even all anti anxiety/depression drugs, "bad news" is misinformed.

To anyone who is dealing with depression, don't listen to anyone on the internet (including me). I can't and won't diagnose or give you treatment options. Listen to your doctor, your therapist, and your family and loved ones.
    All natural in industry is mostly misleading. But if you look into the history of medicine you will find a good portion of synthetic meds were derived from natural sources.
    So like anything research is key.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I was hoping to hear from people who have actually taken this med not people pretending to be dr's lol.
    I do appreciate the good input I have gotten here tho. I talked to my mom everyday about this and we try to work thru it together.

I have done alot of research on this medicine, I figured there some people here that take it also. That's why I asked about it here so people can post their experiences with the drug and if it helped or not.

My mom said she wants to up her dosage to .5mg so she can break them in half or take a whole one when needed. She has been on it for 4 years now and she seems to be doing fine on the meds.

Some people don't understand if it is a chemical imbalance people may need to stay on this medication. I honestly think I have a imbalance as my mother father and grandma all take it everyday.

Thanks

I had to take it prior to getting my wisdom teeth out on monday... I think it is bad news, it messed with my head and my sense of balance... just sayin
    1.0.0 ball python (normal)
    0.1.0 BCI RTB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by temec View Post
    I had to take it prior to getting my wisdom teeth out on monday... I think it is bad news, it messed with my head and my sense of balance... just sayin
    thats bc u dont need it. people that actually need it dont get messed up like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallsUnlimited View Post
    thats bc u dont need it. people that actually need it dont get messed up like that.
    Exactly!!!

I also agree that counseling helps, but the medicine is necessary too.
    0.0.1 Normal ball python
    0.0.5 Hermit Crabs

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

You treat a problem with a solution that addresses it. If your body chemistry is causing you to have panic attacks, then you address your body chemistry. If it's something psychological, then you see a psychologist.
    Seeing a psychologist isn't very helpful for a chemical issue, and seeing a medical doctor isn't very helpful for a psychological issue. This seems pretty self-evident to me.
    Some issues have roots in BOTH areas--this is because emotions affect chemistry, and vice versa. But panic disorder...unless you're typically a 'worrier', it's unlikely to be psychological. People can develop issues DUE to it, though (afraid to go out in public for fear of an attack, etc).

Give the meds a chance. If you're not having any improvement after a week, then see the doc again. If you don't think the doc knows what he is doing, find a doc you're more comfortable with.
    That's what I do with my car--if I don't trust the shop, I find a different one. I don't just drive the car around broken because I don't trust mechanics, though. lol
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

If you don't feel any better after a week, dont panic. I didn't feel anything for 2 weeks and the panic attacks weren't gone for a month. In my opinion, give them 3 weeks to a month.
    0.0.1 Normal ball python
    0.0.5 Hermit Crabs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I honestly have no clue what makes this happen, I am a natural worrier and I have always been that way. What would you think it is if both my parents and my grandma all have the same thing??

I just hope I can get it sorted out. If I have to stay on the meds for the rest of my life then so be it I guess. I don't want to be on them forever but if I can't solve the problem then I have no other choice but to stay medicated.

I haven't talked to my father in years and I called him today. He said that he takes a 2mg bar as soon as he wakes up, another around noon and another around 8pm. So he's taking 6mg if Xanax a day, he said he tried everythig to find a cure but he still needs the meds.

He also said my late grandpa took 6mg a day also, that's why I'm thinking it's hereditary. I'm just gla that when I take the meds it doesn't make me a zombie. I can fully function on them but I really hope that someday I can get off of them before I end up like my dad popping 6mg a day if Xanax..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It is just weird how I get the panic attacks they come out of no where. I am getting one now but I'm trying to stay busy here on the forum and not think about it.
    I have taken 1 .5 mg pill this morning and I'm probably gonna take at least 1mg now. I am very shaky, it feels hard to breathe, I'm sweating.

I am literally sitting in the corner of the room with all doors/ windows locked because I feel afraid. I am on my iPhone sitting in the corner feeling like I'm going crazy. I really hate this stuff and I hope the Xanax will make these attacks go away or happen less often. I'm already past my recommended dosage of 2 .5 mg pills a day now. This will make 1.5mg of Xanax today.

I think a part of it is how bad the attack really is. I always chew up the Xanax when I have a attack coming on since it makes I kick in faster. It tastes like poop but it works so much faster.

I will chime in later hopefully I will be feeling better. Having torun to the Xanax makes me feel like a coward since I cannot deal with this problem on my own..
    Last edited by dr del; 04-07-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: replacing censored words with italicised alternatives

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Wow this is a bad one. I took 1mg of Xanax and I still feel all messed up like it's hard to breathe. I'm gonna make a new dr appt and see if I can get 2mg bars instead of the .5 pills. That way I can break them in half and take them that way.
    I'm gonna run thru this script of 60 .5 mg pills quick if I have to take 3or more a day

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast