Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,270

2 members and 1,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xanax

Hybrid View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Xanax

I have been going thru alot lately and have been getting bad panic attacks. I got prescribed .5 mg Xanax. They gave me a 60ct bottle with 2 refills. The dr said to take 2 of them a day.

From what I've read people like me with a anxiety/panic disorder are taking 4mg up to 10mg a day. I have taken 2 today and feel fine now but I normally get the panic attacks in the morning.

I'm wondering if anyone else here takes Xanax for anxiety/panic disorder and how much do you take and how ling have you used it.
    I got prescribed atarax and lexapro first but they didn't work. I found out they are actually depression pills not anxiety pills.

I feel like I took the stuff for no reason, I'm just hoping this xana. Really works.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Re: Xanax

I would REALLY research any prescribed drug. most of those anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs are bad news. And take a close look at all the many side effects....some may veven shock you... There are so many other alternatives out there for anxiety and depression that are all natural.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

When your brain chemicals are off, anti-anxiety drugs can really help you even it out properly.
    Xanax is often prescribed as something youw ould take to stave off a oncoming panic attack.. OR as a maintanance dose to keep you from having the swings in chemicals that cause the panic attacks. I was put on the maintance dose of .5mg and it did quite well. You always want the lowest possible dose of drug that helps you.

If you think the xanax isn't going to work at .5mg then you may indeed make your stress levels rise just by worrying you'll have a anxiety attack. But give it a shot.. you can always have your doctor raise the amount later on, but I'd give it at least 2-4 weeks before you say it doesn't work.

Not all of the 'natural' remedies are safe either. You should always talk over all alternatives with a acreditted doctor.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I just don't beleive drugs are the answer to people's "problems"..........and that's all I'm going to say about that
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

Jay_Bunny (04-08-2010)

Thanks

I have been on no less than 40 different anti-anxiety/anti-depressants for my panic attacks in the last 5 years alone, and have been having panic attacks for the past 10 years. I didn't find any medication that did even a little bit of good other than valium, but doctors don't like prescribing that particular medication, and I haven't found one that will prescribe it again since I've moved.
    And you will find, that for some reason, the majority of doctors out there that are just general practitioners and not psychiatrist/psychologists will way under prescribe most anti-anxiety/anti-depressants. The reason for this is because the majority of the meds are considered "addictive", and even if you've proven that you don't become immune to the meds and need to have it increased constantly over a full year they still won't want to give you the correct dosage and will likely want to pull you off the drug and put you on something entirely different.
    I finally gave up medication altogether because in the end it was only making things worse, and at this point I'm close to being at my lowest point because I spent so many years on the medication, save for the fact that I can pull myself out of bed to get to work every day, but sadly that's about the only thing I can manage to get out of bed for. I was in therapy for about 6 months until it got to be too expensive, but it had the best results thus far.
    I know overall medication is cheaper for the most part, but I would really recommend finding a good therapist that deals with anxiety. There is almost always a root cause that ISN'T a chemical imbalance. And finding that cause and dealing with it is really the only way to truly fix this problem and not just cover it up with medication. It's just easier for regular doctors to point at something that can be fixed with pills.
    Last edited by Aleria; 04-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aleria View Post
    I have been on no less than 40 different anti-anxiety/anti-depressants for my panic attacks in the last 5 years alone, and have been having panic attacks for the past 10 years. I didn't find any medication that did even a little bit of good other than valium, but doctors don't like prescribing that particular medication, and I haven't found one that will prescribe it again since I've moved.
    And you will find, that for some reason, the majority of doctors out there that are just general practitioners and not psychiatrist/psychologists will way under prescribe most anti-anxiety/anti-depressants. The reason for this is because the majority of the meds are considered "addictive", and even if you've proven that you don't become immune to the meds and need to have it increased constantly over a full year they still won't want to give you the correct dosage and will likely want to pull you off the drug and put you on something entirely different.
    I finally gave up medication altogether because in the end it was only making things worse, and at this point I'm close to being at my lowest point because I spent so many years on the medication, save for the fact that I can pull myself out of bed to get to work every day, but sadly that's about the only thing I can manage to get out of bed for. I was in therapy for about 6 months until it got to be too expensive, but it had the best results thus far.
    I know overall medication is cheaper for the most part, but I would really recommend finding a good therapist that deals with anxiety. There is almost always a root cause that ISN'T a chemical imbalance. And finding that cause and dealing with it is really the only way to truly fix this problem and not just cover it up with medication. It's just easier for regular doctors to point at something that can be fixed with pills.
    Well put well put.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aleria View Post
    I was in therapy for about 6 months until it got to be too expensive, but it had the best results thus far.
    Despite my belief that no one should take medical advice off the internet, I do believe this is good advice.

Therapy is productive even if the root cause IS a chemical imbalance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady View Post
    I would REALLY research any prescribed drug. most of those anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs are bad news. And take a close look at all the many side effects....some may veven shock you... There are so many other alternatives out there for anxiety and depression that are all natural.
    Unless you are a licensed physician/nurse practitioner/etc, please don't give out medical advice regarding prescription drugs.

All prescription drugs have side effects. I hope everyone who takes them knows and understands the intended AND side effects, and understands dosage and potential risks.

"All Natural" is a myth. The word "nature" itself is contorted and meaningless, and is often used to imply that human existence itself is "unnatural".

There are many methods to combat anxiety and depression. As I'm sure anyone who has been prescribed anti-anxiety drugs knows, there is no magical happy pill that fixes all problems in life. Believe me when I say that doctors and their various counterparts that help people deal with depression and anxiety don't just toss patients out the door with a bottle of pills and call it a good day's work. No discussion about treating either problem is complete without covering exercise, diet, and sleep, and I'm sure that the OP's doctor did cover those topics.

However, to blatantly call all drugs, even all anti anxiety/depression drugs, "bad news" is misinformed.

To anyone who is dealing with depression, don't listen to anyone on the internet (including me). I can't and won't diagnose or give you treatment options. Listen to your doctor, your therapist, and your family and loved ones.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (04-07-2010),xdeus (04-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Unless you are a licensed physician/nurse practitioner/etc, please don't give out medical advice regarding prescription drugs.

All prescription drugs have side effects. I hope everyone who takes them knows and understands the intended AND side effects, and understands dosage and potential risks.

"All Natural" is a myth. The word "nature" itself is contorted and meaningless, and is often used to imply that human existence itself is "unnatural".

There are many methods to combat anxiety and depression. As I'm sure anyone who has been prescribed anti-anxiety drugs knows, there is no magical happy pill that fixes all problems in life. Believe me when I say that doctors and their various counterparts that help people deal with depression and anxiety don't just toss patients out the door with a bottle of pills and call it a good day's work. No discussion about treating either problem is complete without covering exercise, diet, and sleep, and I'm sure that the OP's doctor did cover those topics.

However, to blatantly call all drugs, even all anti anxiety/depression drugs, "bad news" is misinformed.

To anyone who is dealing with depression, don't listen to anyone on the internet (including me). I can't and won't diagnose or give you treatment options. Listen to your doctor, your therapist, and your family and loved ones.
    All natural in industry is mostly misleading. But if you look into the history of medicine you will find a good portion of synthetic meds were derived from natural sources.
    So like anything research is key.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I was hoping to hear from people who have actually taken this med not people pretending to be dr's lol.
    I do appreciate the good input I have gotten here tho. I talked to my mom everyday about this and we try to work thru it together.

I have done alot of research on this medicine, I figured there some people here that take it also. That's why I asked about it here so people can post their experiences with the drug and if it helped or not.

My mom said she wants to up her dosage to .5mg so she can break them in half or take a whole one when needed. She has been on it for 4 years now and she seems to be doing fine on the meds.

Some people don't understand if it is a chemical imbalance people may need to stay on this medication. I honestly think I have a imbalance as my mother father and grandma all take it everyday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast