Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,101

4 members and 3,097 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: new sav

Thanks

Re: new sav

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY81 View Post
    only a couple of comments on the actual thread
    Yeah, it's a shame.

On topic, for current husbandry info I'd recommend doing two things. First, give a look through:
    http://savannahmonitor.org

Most of what you'll find on the Internet involves RNA (rats/newspaper/aquarium) as methods of husbandry, and that mentality is horribly outdated.

Second, a good book to pick up is:
    The Truth about Varanus Exanthematicus

It's by Daniel Bennett, who has done years of field research and taken an interest in promoting proper care of Savannah Monitors in captivity.

Your monitor (from the first post) looks to be in great condition. I noticed that the photo is from classifieds.com or something to that effect, and the enclosure has metal screen sides. That will cause all the humidity to escape and ends up dehydrating the monitor. Now that you bought it, do you have the monitor in a better enclosure?

Take care and good luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to allergenic For This Useful Post:

mumps (02-08-2010)

Thanks

already been there and also already looked at the book ..lol .that pic was the only one i have right now , it's from where i found him . he isn't in that enclosure , i've got him in a 36 x 18 glass and wood enclosure till i build a much larger one . 135 degree basking spot . humidity is running 50 - 75 % . i'm not new to reptiles i've got over 20 years experience keeping and working with everything from little anoles to a 17 foot burmese python .

Thanks

GRIZZLY: Sounds like your temporary setup has all the requirements except for space, which you say you are working on. Good.

Allergenic: After reading through the numerous bashings you've had to endure for stating your beliefs in caring for one's animals I must apologize for most of humanity. Yes we live in a "disposable" society but you are not alone. I've dealt with people that had the thought "A vet bill for my corn is like $100. A new corn is $40. Forget the vet". It's sad but true. I on the other hand spent over $4000 at the vet for one of my tegus... I agree with your views; you are not alone. I find it's usually the older, more experienced keepers who share our views; these kids with 5 yrs. of experience think they know it all, have seen it all; just because they've owned one of everything in those five years and currently have one or two animals - probably in a tub/rack system.

To all: Allergenic was only stating his beliefs. And he was standing up for the animals. Shame on all of you.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    Allergenic: After reading through the numerous bashings you've had to endure for stating your beliefs in caring for one's animals I must apologize for most of humanity.
    Thanks Chris, good to see you on here. Looking back through the thread, I could have gone about it differently. You catch more flies with honey, etc.

I find it's usually the older, more experienced keepers who share our views; these kids with 5 yrs. of experience think they know it all, have seen it all;
    I think you're right on that, I have 11-16 years of life on some of the commenters, and these views have been hard-won after years of seeing the horrors. My wife has played a role, she's worked as a veterinary surgical tech for almost 10 years, and after enough stories about people tossing live, unwanted iguanas and monitors in the dumpster behind her building, it tends to color one's perceptions of the mentality of the reptile trade.[/quote]

To all: Allergenic was only stating his beliefs. And he was standing up for the animals. Shame on all of you.
    We all have unforeseen financial and life obstacles, with lost jobs and such, especially these days. It's the trading animals like baseball cards thing I think I was reacting to.

Again, sorry if my delivery was a bit rough, though part of me suspects it's an unpopular topic anyway and change in delivery would not have mattered.

Thanks

Allergenic: After reading through the numerous bashings you've had to endure for stating your beliefs in caring for one's animals I must apologize for most of humanity. Yes we live in a "disposable" society but you are not alone. I've dealt with people that had the thought "A vet bill for my corn is like $100. A new corn is $40. Forget the vet". It's sad but true. I on the other hand spent over $4000 at the vet for one of my tegus... I agree with your views; you are not alone. I find it's usually the older, more experienced keepers who share our views; these kids with 5 yrs. Of experience think they know it all, have seen it all; just because they've owned one of everything in those five years and currently have one or two animals - probably in a tub/rack system.
    If you didnt see when you read through the thread, its allergenic that made the first rude comment that implied that balls just got rid of his animals when he was bored and wanted the new fad. Dont appologize to him. Im glad you spent that much on your tegu and i would do the same. I would spend all the money I could ever scrounge up to pay bills for a sick suffering animal.

But to get to the part where the kids with 5 years experience think they know everything. HA! I am 17, and just started keeping reptiles 2 years ago. I have always been deeply interested in animals, especially reptiles and am now going to college next year to a Vet program with a scholarship in hand. I am very knowledgeable and how dare you say just because i am new to the hobby think i believe i know everything. I learn something new about some species everyday through research in books, magazines or the internet. Do not believe you are all mighty because you are older. And you think its wrong to keep a few animals in a tub/rack system? Why? I have three geckos, a BCI, a BCO, a BP in a rack while i have my SD and JCP in custom enclosure with new ones on the way for the boas. My animals are healthy and taken care of in the rack.

Just because you are older does not mean you are smarter or really in anyway above me or any younger keepers. Great on you to make that statement and put down a whole community of young keepers. Great idea and great manners.

I entered into this conversation because i believed what allergenic said was extremely disrespectful and out of line. They could have at least gone about it in a more polite way, instead of assuming balls was an irresponsible owner who believed his animals just objects.

The community of this hobby is extremely welcoming and very polite. But the remark you said was complete ignorance. You managed to put down all the young people in this community in one statement. Great job.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstormlax12 View Post
    But to get to the part where the kids with 5 years experience think they know everything. HA! I am 17, and just started keeping reptiles 2 years ago.
    Hoo boy. I remember being seventeen and thinking I had all the answers. When I hit 29 I realized that all those years, my parents had been right. I'm not looking forward to my son reaching 17, I know we're going to have to go through that all again.

Thanks

I'm Nineteen. I realize that many of you have several years on me, and realize that many of you have more years of experience on me as well. However, it's absolutely wrong to assume that means I don't have experience, or don't know what I'm doing, and it is wrong to assume that about anyone else. I absolutely see your point of view about reptiles being thrown away, however the rudeness with which allergenic first commented was the cause of my entering into the argument. I volunteer at my local shelter and know as well as anyone else how carelessly animals are thrown away. I've also spent almost 600 dollars getting a bladder stone removed from a guinea pig, and would spend any amount of money on all of my animals, from my dogs to my 3 inch long Grass Snakes, if they were in need of medical care. I also don't have any of my snakes in a "tub/rack system." One of my favorite parts of owning animals is giving them large, well planted, perfect enclosures.

I realize there are irresponsible keepers out there, but please, don't judge all of us young ones on those few. We make mistakes, but if we don't start young, when will we start? And you can only help by giving your opinions with patience and kindness, not anger or sarcasm. Keeping reptiles and amphibians is subject to each individual's belief of how those animals should be kept. I respect all of your opinions, even though some may not be my own. I just believe that you should do the same.
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by musicalKeyes View Post
    however the rudeness with which allergenic first commented was the cause of my entering into the argument. I volunteer at my local shelter and know as well as anyone else how carelessly animals are thrown away.
    My bedside manner might not be the best, but take your feelings for cast off animals from the shelter, add 14 years to it, and you'll see there's some snowballed passion for animals behind the initial rudeness.

I realize there are irresponsible keepers out there, but please, don't judge all of us young ones on those few.
    So far I didn't get the sense anyone was. I think Chris was saying that the respect toward animals viewpoint is simply more likely to evolve with age.

We make mistakes, but if we don't start young, when will we start? And you can only help by giving your opinions with patience and kindness, not anger or sarcasm.
    Agreed.

Also my favorite quote, from my favorite book read as a child. I got the opportunity to translate the original text in grade school. It's oddly quite fitting to this discussion.

Speaking of the OP, any updated pics of the Bosc?

Thanks

Unfortunately when typing, no sense of how the words are said can be had, only the words themselves. I was merely commenting on the apparent assumption in earlier posts that younger keepers are not experienced or responsible. I am sure that with age will come only a stronger passion and commitment to the animals I keep, but I also realize that in some cases, being responsible is having to give up an animal you love so that it can be taken care of to the extent that it deserves. I'm just thankful there are people who are willing to argue so strongly about reptiles, and animals in general, after the way I've seen many treated.

Allergenic, it takes a good person to apologize, even if your posts were taken the wrong way, and yes, you do catch more flies with honey, and more willing listeners as well
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

- the fox

Thanks

Sorry if my post was misunderstood. I didn't say all young keepers think they know it all, but I did say that there are a lot of them that think they do. I used to be that way as well. But like it or not, actual experience is a lot more educational than reading. You can read all you like about taming a nasty retic, or anaconda, or Nile monitor, but until you have actually done it you know absolutely nothing about the subject. You might be able to go into it with a better idea of how to do it, but that's it.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast