Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

0 members and 3,256 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

Thread: burp?

Thanks

burp?

my snake just shed it came off all in one piece. it was a great shed. she ate two days ago and had a bowel movement today it looked fine not runny at all the urates looked normal. temps are perfect humidity is a little high still from raising it for the shed. i just switched to eco earth and it was a little damp but it's not soaked or anything. i pulled out the branch that was in there cause i noticed a little white fuzz on it. anyway thats the husbandry side.
    about five minutes ago my snake did what i can only describe as a violent burp. she coiled and leaped foward mouth wide open and made a burping sound. it's the strangest thing i've ever seen. please help me figure out whats going on here.

Thanks

Re: burp?

anybody? he seems totally fine now he's wandering around his enclosure like he normally does. there is no mucus around his mouth or nose tounge looks fine not stuck together. there is no bloating in the abdomen. his vent looks normal. i'm so worried he's my little boy and i would never want anything to happen to him. please help.

Thanks

Temps? Humidity? What device are you using to measure these? Hides?

If he's wandering around during the day, he's trying to tell you that he's stressed out. Your BP should only explore during the night, since they're nocturnal.

But to the problem... You see no mucus around the mouth, but do you see any IN the mouth? I know it sounds mean, and no snake likes having their mouth pried open, but you should check.

It doesn't sound like anything serious right now, but keep watch. Look for mucus smeared on any of the enclosure "furniture", mucus/bubbles in and around the mouth or nose, sitting in the water dish excessively, or sitting with the head and neck raised up for long periods of time (they do this to drain the mucus into their throat so they can breathe), and losing the desire for food.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Thanks

it's midnight right now he only comes out at night unless he needs a drink. i measure with an accurite digital and a infrared laser temp gun . i pulled him out after he did it and opened his mouth everything was nice and pink no mucus or discoloration no impaction. he eats once a week he about eight months old now if i remember correctly. hides are secure and dark. i'll keep my eye on him. just curious is all

Thanks

Are you sure it wasn't a fart? I know snakes do fart, but haven't heard it. Nor have I seen how they position themselves while they do it.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

i have no idea???
    just weirdness.
    wish i could just ask him what the heck he just did there

Thanks

I would keep an eye on him for a little while. From experience I can tell you that a snake will start making coughing/burping/sneezing noises during the onset of a respiratory infection and the inside of their mouth may not be filled with mucous just yet. When a snake does have mucous in their mouth or bubbling out of their pits, they are already very sick. When you hold him, can you feel a bit of a rattling or gurgling in the first part of his body just behind the neck?

Thanks

no not at all. i checked twice.