Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

4 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Weird shed... why?

Pedro, my Mojave hatchling, had a really bad shed last night... I don't know why since he's in a tub, and humidity was at least 70-80 for the last few days. I went to check on him earlier in the evening, and found a shed head-piece (top half) but nothing else. I turned his hide into a humid hide by adding a damp paper towel, and left him alone for a while. The shed was still stuck when I checked back, so we started the wet pillowcase trick... ended up taking over an hour, and I had to physically peel most of it for him.

When I got near the end of this process, I noticed it was actually stuck IN his mouth, which is probably what caused the trouble... had to pull fairly hard to release the skin, causing him to open his mouth wide & sorta "cough" it out. Luckily he was an absolute angel through everything, and let me work my magic without any complaints. He's usually a bit nippy, so it's almost like he appreciated the help. Has anyone heard of this happening before, where the shedding skin gets stuck in their mouth? Could it have been caught on his tooth, or what? Just thought I'd ask, so I can determine if it was a fluke or something to do with husbandry... although the latter is unlikely, since 3 others had PERFECT sheds within the last week (in the same rack). Weird, huh?? Here are a few pictures from the ordeal...

See how the top of his head is shed, but not the bottom?

I even tried combining the pillowcase with the hide, hoping it would give him more "traction."

Finally!

Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: Weird shed... why?

Oh yeah... and to make things even weirder, he pooped & peed before the shed was done (while in the pillowcase). They usually wait until after they're done, so that was also out of the ordinary - no?
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Ugh...sorry to hear that Lola. I have only been through 1 shed and it was very stressful for me....I can't imagine what the snake was thinking. Mine was due to low humidity. I got nothing for you on this...only condolences!!

Someone did give me an idea for my enclosure though...when they are going through it try a hide with wet moss in it. I am going to try it this next time which I think might be happening in the near future. Oye

Again sorry it was difficult....at least it is over!!
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BPelizabeth For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (09-27-2009)

Thanks

Thanks! I am glad it's over too, and he seems pretty happy as well... I'm sure it was pretty stressful for him, but he handled it all like a champ.

Now I'm wondering, could this have anything to do with his eating during shed? I've fed other snakes during shed without a problem, but never one as small as Pedro (he's 133g now). Just a thought...
    Lolo's Collection...

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

I wouldnt think so but then again I am pretty new to this. Maybe a piece of it got stuck on dinner and that is how it got in his mouth?????? Im reaching right now
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

did u feed him?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My mojo Morris just shed Friday night, he ate thursday afternoon and still did nicely. My female spider on the other hand was having the same issue as Pedro. I just got done soaking her and getting all of that stuck shed off. I can definantly sympathize.
    I can't imagine it being a humidity issue. There are three fish tanks totaling 260 gallons that keep the living room of this apartment at 60% humidity at the lowest. The snake tubs usually stay between 65-68%. When I checked in on my spider the humidity was sitting at 72%, I am thinking that maybe that moss idea may be a big help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travisgoldkuhl View Post
    did u feed him?
    Yes, he had an adult mouse on Friday night... but like I said, my others (just Toby & Vinnie) have eaten during shed, and it didn't affect them. But maybe it's not good for the little guys?
    Lolo's Collection...