Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,218

0 members and 3,218 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 08-31-2009, 12:04 PM
    euphuistical
    Re: What does a bite from a ball python feel like?
    I've been bit a lot by my guys. Always either defensively or when I smelled too much like a rat or an ASF. They never hurt much, but bites from larger ones definitely draw some blood.

But I honestly think that bites from ASFs are more annoying. They just keep trying to
    bite you and sometimes don't let go. I've lifted an adult an entirely out of it's cage with it still grabbing on to my hand with it's nasty little teeth.

And a bit from a large normal rat? Forget about it, those hurt so much more than snake bites it's not even funny.
  • 08-31-2009, 03:29 PM
    DVS1
    Imagine the worst pain you have ever felt in your life multiply in times 1000...then forget all that.
    Have you ever been scratched by a kitten?:rolleyes:
  • 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM
    DVS1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by euphuistical View Post
    I've been bit a lot by my guys. Always either defensively or when I smelled too much like a rat or an ASF. They never hurt much, but bites from larger ones definitely draw some blood.

But I honestly think that bites from ASFs are more annoying. They just keep trying to
    bite you and sometimes don't let go. I've lifted an adult an entirely out of it's cage with it still grabbing on to my hand with it's nasty little teeth.

And a bit from a large normal rat? Forget about it, those hurt so much more than snake bites it's not even funny.

Razor sharp teeth that can and will slice and dice. Rat bites are badass compared to a BP bite.
  • 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
    Aric
    Personally I think a bite from a mouse hurts more then a Ball python bite.
  • 09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
    nixer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric View Post
    Personally I think a bite from a mouse hurts more then a Ball python bite.

my mice dont bite at all
  • 09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
    Aric
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    my mice dont bite at all

I think the mice that I'm talking about know whats coming to them and decide to give me one heck of a nibble.
  • 09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
    Tek48
    I was bitten my my 350 gram male and didn't feel a thing. I thought he had struck with his mouth closed until I noticed I was bleeding.
  • 09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
    Moofins07
    It feels interesting, I'll say that. The one time I've been bitten was by a sub-adult that was rescued from a crack-addict, believe it or not, and I WAS to adopt him, but I took the bite as a sign. lol

Either way, it's a quick prick when it goes in, and you almost feel nothing until the snake finally decides to twist off, releasing it's teeth.

If you haven't been told already, one method I learned to get a snake to release is to put their head under running water.
  • 09-14-2009, 12:12 AM
    Artistry Exotics
    In my 13 years or so of handling snakes, I've only ever been bitten by snakes of any kind twice, and both times they were baby ball pythons at the pet store where I work. I think I'm just really careful and also don't mess with anything aggressive in general, heh.

The first time I was bit, it was feeding day, so I guess the baby was just pretty eager. I only felt a slight sting and was just kinda "eh, whatever".

The second time I was bit, it was actually kind of funny. I was approached by a customer who was really interested in buying a ball python, but he told me he was somewhat fearful of getting bitten. I told him basically what I just wrote above, and how ball pythons are great snakes who are usually very docile, not likely to bite, yadda yadda yadda. I always of course mention in my spiel a disclaimer that anything that does have a mouth CAN bite, but that doesn't mean that they will, how babies can be a little more bitey because they feel vulnerable, but that it's nothing to worry about, etc. Of course, as I'm talking and pulling out a baby to show him, the baby bites me. I didn't feel a thing, didn't even notice, but the customer asked "did it just bite you?!" and I looked down and saw two tiny dots of blood. "Guess so..." I said, "well, you don't want this one then, let's try another!" He bought the second snake I pulled out, and still comes in once a week to buy mice and to report that things are going well with his new pet. :P
  • 09-14-2009, 10:08 PM
    aaramire
    Bites from snakes this small are not a big deal at all... especially if they dont wrap you.