Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda

My New Florida Kingsnake

Printable View

• 01-03-2022, 01:13 PM
    DLreptile
    My New Florida Kingsnake
    Hey guys, what are Florida Kingsnakes like? I got this guy over the holidays from a tropical fish store. He is absolutely the chillest snake I've come across. The store said they had him for about 4 months. Feeding on a fuzzy once a week. Should I feed him 2 when he gets a little bigger? I know they get pretty big and am a little confused how much these guys need to eat. Anyways, I don't really name my snakes. but for some reason, this guy seems too personable not to name him/her.

Do these guys always stay so calm? How are they compared to a Cal King (Mine is pretty chill too). thx.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...a-Kingsnk1.jpg
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...a-Kingsnk2.jpg
  • 01-03-2022, 01:28 PM
    DLreptile
    Also, is their care pretty much the same as a Corn snake?
  • 01-03-2022, 01:30 PM
    Bogertophis
    Wow, that snake is a real beauty! Hatchling kings are not normally "chill" but since they've had him for 4 mos. or so, he's obviously been handled & learned to feel safe with people. I think you did great, buying him! :gj: He's really colorful.

As to feeding, remember that colubrids have more narrow bodies, so yes, that's what I'd do too- when he needs a bigger meal, upsize first by feeding 2 fuzzies for a while, then go to hoppers, etc.

King snakes are normally chow-hounds (good eaters!) but for the first year, I'd feed him weekly, & after that, gradually go to feeding about every 10 days. I think he'll "let you know". :D

As far as comparing king snakes, some are way more chill than others. Some think fingers "might just fit"? :rofl: (Especially if they are seldom handled.) We'll welcome your updates here.
  • 01-03-2022, 01:39 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: My New Florida Kingsnake
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DLreptile View Post
    Also, is their care pretty much the same as a Corn snake?

Kings are more terrestrial (ground dwellers) & more apt to dig UNDER substrates, whereas corns are more into climbing things. But temperatures & humidity are pretty much the same- both do very well at our comfortable room temperatures (70* winter to 75-80* summer) & both will use UTH warmth in just one area, with 2 hides always (one cool & one warm). Easy peasy snakes, IMO. I have kept various kings but not a Florida, btw. Excellent pets, IMO, & way less "fussy" than BPs. Being from Florida, I'd provide some humidity if you live in a dry climate- & maybe a humid-hide too.

King & milk snakes generally love this type of hide, btw. https://beanfarm.com/collections/bed...hide-out-small
  • 01-03-2022, 01:59 PM
    DLreptile
    Yeah, I'm hoping his color doesn't change too much. He pretty much just stays buried under aspen. I use a lot of aspen, so finding him is kind of a pain; I just use 2 hides and a water bowl for now.
  • 01-03-2022, 03:46 PM
    Skyrivers
    Gratz.... What a great looking animal. Enjoy watching the little herp growing up.
  • 01-03-2022, 03:57 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DLreptile View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping his color doesn't change too much. He pretty much just stays buried under aspen. I use a lot of aspen, so finding him is kind of a pain; I just use 2 hides and a water bowl for now.

Aspen doesn't favor humidity, & since he's a Florida native, I would suggest giving him a humid hide with damp sphagnum moss inside- it's no fun trying to get a stuck shed skin off a small snake- & they can easily lose tail tips or get eyecaps stuck on too (which could mean expensive vet help).
  • 01-03-2022, 05:30 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Very nice kingsnake! Congrats on the handsome new addition. I agree with Bogertophis, kings are pretty easy to care for. A hot spot of 84-86 is all you need. Normal ambient cool side temps of 70-75 are just fine. My kings were pretty voracious eaters too. Once they start taking multiple prey items I usually move them up to the next size. They won’t need anything larger than a jumbo mouse or small rat as adults which makes them pretty inexpensive to feed.