Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

1 members and 3,196 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Baby Ball Python Setup

Printable View

• 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM
    cueball
    Baby Ball Python Setup
    I have been wanting to display a baby ball python in the living room for a while now and thought I would share my solution.

I wanted something with excellent visibility, was easy to clean, provided the proper environment and had to be affordable.

So here is my solution that costs less than $100 and met my needs :clap:

Most items came from PetSmart: 10 gallon aquarium with hood/ ReptiBark/ hide and water dish/ thermostat.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0802.jpg

I already had the "medium" heat pad(designed for 10-20 gallon aquariums) and rheostat. An important note about these heat pads is the surface temperature is 115 degrees. I use a rheostat to dial it back down to 95 degrees.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0811.jpg

The first step was the prep the aquarium. I choose to paint the back of it flat black to create a nice background color and hide any wiring. This was done with flat black spray paint on the outside out the glass. Next step is use aluminum foil to trap radiant heat inside the aquarium and avoid a hot spot created by the heat pad. I attached it using aluminum tape.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0804.jpg

The next step is to prep the hood. This is a fish hood but offers a clean look and great lighting. The first thing I did was cut a piece of 1/4" hardware screen to fit in the recess of the hood. Then I used a hot glue gun to secure the corners of the screen to the hood. Next final step was to use the aluminum foil to secure the edges and close up any holes in the hood. The final step was to drill some extra ventilation holes in the back of the domed part of the hood. You will have to peel back the tape and cut the glue to change the bulbs a couple of times a year.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0805.jpg

I set this up and let it stabilize for a few hours before introducing the snake.

Here is the final product :D

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0807.jpg
  • 11-11-2007, 04:17 PM
    MeMe
    Re: Baby Ball Python Setup
    that's nice.

:gj:

tfttme.

;)

sooo...irmmbff.

just sayin'

logd.

~ CO ~
  • 11-11-2007, 04:29 PM
    Gooseman
    so the grand total of what's on display was something around $2,100.00?

(forgive me for only seeing the lovely pewter and nothing else :P ) lol

Either way... Looks nice, possibly even sticky worthy!!!
  • 11-11-2007, 05:13 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnme View Post
    that's nice.

Thanks Memes :gj:

There are lots of ways to keep baby ball pythons and this is just one of the many in which they will thrive in.
  • 11-11-2007, 05:21 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooseman View Post
    so the grand total of what's on display was something around $2,100.00?

That's a great question that I should have covered :)

$25 aquarium and hood
    $5 bulbs
    $5 RepitBark
    $5 water dish
    $10 hide
    $15 heat pad
    $10 thermometer
    $5 rheostat
    $5 hardware screen
    $5 spray paint
    $???? ball python ;)

Quote:

(forgive me for only seeing the lovely pewter and nothing else :P ) lol

Dis one?? :crazy:
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0812.jpg

Quote:

Either way... Looks nice, possibly even sticky worthy!!!

Thanks man..but let's not get carried away :P
  • 11-11-2007, 05:30 PM
    daaangconcepts
    STICKY STICKY STICKY

Very welll done Chris :gj:
  • 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM
    MeMe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daaangconcepts View Post
    STICKY STICKY STICKY

It's soooo hot when you say that.

nh...wmal.

logd.

~ CO ~
  • 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daaangconcepts View Post
    STICKY STICKY STICKY

Very welll done Chris :gj:

Thanks Susan :carouse:

If this helps ONE person on the board with ideas then it was all worth it :D
  • 11-11-2007, 05:57 PM
    Argentra
    Very nice...but don't you need two identical hides? :D

Leg pulling aside, that is a really nice setup and a gorgeous snake. I love that idea about the foil on the bottom of the tank to disperse heat...I think I'll try that on my new plant tank. Thanks. :)
  • 11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
    Rapture
    Don't you want your pewter to eat???? lol
  • 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM
    Chubbz
    thats a great setup
  • 11-11-2007, 06:58 PM
    NightLad
    Sweet setup! And you posted it just as I am going about creating one of my own. What timing! Thanks so much. And it you provided a couple tips I had not even thought of. Thanks to you, my snake (when I get one) will be very cozy indeed. Woo! :snake:
  • 11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
    Entropy
    Awesome thread Chris, and even better snake.
  • 11-11-2007, 07:39 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Very nice...but don't you need two identical hides? :D

Thanks! Having two hides is certainly a secure way for a ball python to thermoregulate. I have decided to go with just one hide because I feel this snake is not shy and have seen it comfortably using both sides of the enclosure.

Quote:

Leg pulling aside, that is a really nice setup and a gorgeous snake.

This would not be a cueball thread without leg pulling :P

Quote:

that is a really nice setup and a gorgeous snake.

Quote:

I love that idea about the foil on the bottom of the tank to disperse heat...I think I'll try that on my new plant tank. Thanks. :)

This brings up a good point! I used the rubber feet supplied with the heat pad to elevate the aquarium and did not attach the heat pad to the bottom of the aqaurium. The heat rises and creates a warm spot without creating a concentrated "hot" spot on the glass.
  • 11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Don't you want your pewter to eat???? lol

Of course I do!!! lol
  • 11-11-2007, 07:43 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubbz View Post
    thats a great setup

Thanks! I really enjoy being able to observe my pet :snake:
  • 11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
    MeMe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball View Post
    Thanks! Having two hides is certainly a secure way for a ball python to thermoregulate. I have decided to go with just one hide because I feel this snake is not shy and have seen it comfortably using both sides of the enclosure.

you are the smart.

:nerd:

yaagf!

;)
  • 11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NightLad View Post
    Sweet setup! And you posted it just as I am going about creating one of my own. What timing! Thanks so much. And it you provided a couple tips I had not even thought of. Thanks to you, my snake (when I get one) will be very cozy indeed. Woo! :snake:

Awesome! I'm glad I could help :gj: I saw your setup and it looks great! Now hurry up and fill that terrarium :D
  • 11-11-2007, 07:57 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Awesome thread Chris, and even better snake.

Thanks Mel :D That pewter is really special :blossom:
  • 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
    cueball
    DISCLAIMER:

You will notice many things about this setup that vary from other advice out there. This is not to mean that I think that other ways are wrong. This is only intended to be helpful advice for setting up a baby ball python for display. I have kept ball pythons for 20 years now in just about every type of scenario and have found that if you have a healthy ball python they will thrive in just about any conditions.

:grouphug:
  • 11-11-2007, 08:09 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnme View Post
    you are the :nerd:

Agreed :weirdface
  • 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM
    wax32
    Nice set-up!
  • 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
    Repti-Rob
    Love the setup and the snake is wonderful. but.....what about locks? do you use the clamps or a locking hood.
    Even as babies their pretty strong!:snake:
  • 11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wax32 View Post
    Nice set-up!

Thanks! Here's an update on her settling in :D

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0822.jpg
  • 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM
    Bright202
    Looks great Chris!

One question though. Is the heat pad on a thermostat, or will it only reach a certain temp?
    Nice set-up though!
  • 11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Repti-Rob View Post
    Love the setup and the snake is wonderful.

Thanks! I really can't get enough of looking at mg(snake's name) and she literally takes my breath away every single day :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repti-Rob View Post
    but.....what about locks? do you use the clamps or a locking hood.
    Even as babies their pretty strong!:snake:

That's a great point, NEVER underestimate the persuasiveness of a ball python regardless of the size! I am machining some plastic slide lock for the hood. I will post some pics as soon as I'm finished :gj:
  • 11-13-2007, 11:42 PM
    Bright202
    Sorry, I didn't read. Nevermind:D
  • 11-13-2007, 11:46 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bright202 View Post
    Looks great Chris!

Thanks Mitch :gj:

Quote:

One question though. Is the heat pad on a thermostat, or will it only reach a certain temp?
    Nice set-up though!

Good question. The heat pad with no control reaches 115 degrees fahrenheit. I was trying to showcase the most simple solution so I used a rheostat instead of a thermostat. Then just adjusted the rheostat and monitored the pad until it reached 95 degrees.
  • 11-14-2007, 12:18 AM
    Rapture
    Quote:

Thanks! Here's an update on her settling in :D

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0822.jpg

Purrrdy!
  • 11-14-2007, 12:35 AM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Purrrdy!

Neat. Thanks :D
  • 11-14-2007, 11:20 PM
    JLC
    It's been sticky-fied! :D

Very nice write-up, Chris! And good answers to the questions that are bound to come your way. Yes, the set up is a bit out of the norm...but that's just "norm" as BP.net tends to define it. There are so many ways to keep these little beauties that will work just fine.

I think what we really need to focus on teaching people is how to be aware of the needs of their animal and how to watch its behavior to understand if those needs are being met or not...and then to be willing to tweak the environment to make sure those needs are met.

The only thing I would add to THIS discussion about THIS setup...is to remind people that a rheostat is only really effective at maintaining proper temps when it's in a room that has a steady ambient temp. If your room temps swing 10 degrees between day and night...the UTH temps will as well. Just something to be aware of. :)
  • 11-15-2007, 12:42 AM
    Noek
    can I ask, you didn't attach the UTH to the bottom of the cage, what is it lying on then? I use the rubber feet for my cage as well but I attached the UTH to the bottom because it sits on wood and the darn thing does get hot....I worry about burning

I haven't been using a thermostat but I was packing about 2" aspen on top to avoid too much heat and it seemed to work out, but I ordered a Johnson thermostat because it's the right think to do.

anyways, just curious
  • 11-15-2007, 01:21 AM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    It's been sticky-fied! :D

:oops:

Quote:

Very nice write-up, Chris! And good answers to the questions that are bound to come your way. Yes, the set up is a bit out of the norm...but that's just "norm" as BP.net tends to define it. There are so many ways to keep these little beauties that will work just fine.

Thanks Judy, my points exactly. There are lots of ways to keep your baby ball python healthy and happy. This is just one example :gj:

Quote:

I think what we really need to focus on teaching people is how to be aware of the needs of their animal and how to watch its behavior to understand if those needs are being met or not...and then to be willing to tweak the environment to make sure those needs are met.

Well said. This setup works great for this ball python, but may not work for other snakes that might be more shy and need more hiding places.

Quote:

The only thing I would add to THIS discussion about THIS setup...is to remind people that a rheostat is only really effective at maintaining proper temps when it's in a room that has a steady ambient temp. If your room temps swing 10 degrees between day and night...the UTH temps will as well. Just something to be aware of. :)

Excellent point! The room I keep this setup in stays a constant temp all the time. Therefore a rheostat is easy to dial in and count on.
  • 11-15-2007, 01:27 AM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    can I ask, you didn't attach the UTH to the bottom of the cage, what is it lying on then? I use the rubber feet for my cage as well but I attached the UTH to the bottom because it sits on wood and the darn thing does get hot....I worry about burning

That is a valid concern. Without a control on this particular heat pad it reaches 115 degrees and could effect the finish on wood. I made a pad using aluminum foil for the heat pad to sit on. Make the pad by loosely folding the foil over a few times and you have an excellent heat barrier.

Quote:

I haven't been using a thermostat but I was packing about 2" aspen on top to avoid too much heat and it seemed to work out

Just be careful as I have seen them submerse under the aspen and be in direct contact with the glass :(
  • 11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
    Noek
    awesome idea...I am def doing that when I get the thermostat....

in the meantime I'm using a conventional heat pad set on low underneath the glass and no windows open in my room so it's pretty darn hot for me to sleep there...I never thought I'd be sleeping on the couch for the betterment of a snake....usually, it's my girlfriend making me do that :(

thanks again!
  • 11-15-2007, 01:40 AM
    cueball
    Quote:

I never thought I'd be sleeping on the couch for the betterment of a snake....usually, it's my girlfriend making me do that :(

I sure know how that feels! :crazy:

Quote:

thanks again!

Glad I could help and good luck :gj:
  • 11-15-2007, 01:51 AM
    cgrinter
    Is the tape on the screen on the inside of the tank?
  • 11-16-2007, 07:03 PM
    Bright202
    Sorry, do you think you could maybe explain more on how you placed the heat pad. Haha I'm a little confused
  • 11-17-2007, 10:58 PM
    NightLad
    Quote:

The first step was the prep the aquarium. I choose to paint the back of it flat black to create a nice background color and hide any wiring. This was done with flat black spray paint on the outside out the glass. Next step is use aluminum foil to trap radiant heat inside the aquarium and avoid a hot spot created by the heat pad. I attached it using aluminum tape.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0804.jpg

I have a question about this step:
    Did you use shiny-side up (facing inside of tank) on the hot-area, and shiny-side down for the cool? Its a little hard to tell, because I'm not sure if the flash is showing shiny side up or down on both halves. Thanks!
  • 11-18-2007, 12:35 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrinter View Post
    Is the tape on the screen on the inside of the tank?

Yes, it is. This brings up a good point. There is risk invloved in having the tape where the snake and access it. This is why I use the aluminum foil tape, it has excellent rigidity and I don't feel there is a risk using it. It's also a good idea to slightly overlap the tape to make it "seamless".
  • 11-18-2007, 12:40 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Sorry, do you think you could maybe explain more on how you placed the heat pad. Haha I'm a little confused

Good question. I folded the foil loosely to make a pad, then placed the heat pad "sticky" side up on top of the pad and taped the heat pad to the foil. Be sure and use the rubber feet that come with the heat pad to elevate the corners of the aquarium. Here are some pictures, I hope this helps make it more clear.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0826.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0827.jpg
  • 11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

I have a question about this step:
    Did you use shiny-side up (facing inside of tank) on the hot-area, and shiny-side down for the cool?

Yes, you have it exactly right :gj:
  • 11-18-2007, 03:45 PM
    NightLad
    Quote:

Yes, you have it exactly right :gj:

Fantastic! Thanks for getting to those questions so quickly. I came home from the expo and was able to complete the final step in setting up the tank. See this thread for more and pictures: here Thanks again!
  • 11-18-2007, 04:46 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Fantastic! Thanks for getting to those questions so quickly.

Glad I could be of help :D

Quote:

I came home from the expo and was able to complete the final step in setting up the tank. See this thread for more and pictures: here Thanks again!

That looks great! Good job :gj:
  • 11-24-2007, 01:50 AM
    Elvyra's Keeper
    I have a quick, probably stupid question, should the UTH be stuck to the glass or the foil? If it goes to the foil, how do you ever use it again?
  • 11-24-2007, 04:19 AM
    brittany
    I still don't get how you did the heat pad.
    I'm moving my ball from a tub to a tank shortly (she's 2 years old) so I'm hoping you could elaborate on this (a step by step wouldn't hurt :P).
  • 11-24-2007, 07:20 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvyra's Keeper View Post
    I have a quick, probably stupid question, should the UTH be stuck to the glass or the foil?

This is actually a great question! The UTH is designed to be stuck the glass on the under side of the aquarium. The reason I choose not to install it this way is that this particular UTH gets hotter(115 degrees F) that I could feel comfortable for the snake to have pretty direct contact with. By covering the under side of the aquarium with foil and not placing the UTH directly to the glass it speads the heat out more and reduces the chance for a hot spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvyra's Keeper View Post
    If it goes to the foil, how do you ever use it again?

I just taped the UTH to the aluminum foil pad and didn't remove the film on the UTH.
  • 11-24-2007, 07:23 PM
    cueball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brittany View Post
    I still don't get how you did the heat pad.
    I'm moving my ball from a tub to a tank shortly (she's 2 years old) so I'm hoping you could elaborate on this (a step by step wouldn't hurt :P).

Her is how it looks. This is the heat pad "sticky side up" on the foil pad. Then the heat pad and foil pad are taped down to the base of what ever you are going to put the aquarium on. I hope this makes sense :crazy:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...n/DSCN0826.jpg
  • 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM
    WellyBelly
    [QUOTE=cueball;661441]
    I already had the "medium" heat pad(designed for 10-20 gallon aquariums) and rheostat. An important note about these heat pads is the surface temperature is 115 degrees. I use a rheostat to dial it back down to 95 degrees.

Whats a rheostat and where do I get one. I have both my tubs on UTH's and i think it may be to hot.
  • 12-05-2007, 04:01 PM
    JLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WellyBelly View Post
    Whats a rheostat and where do I get one. I have both my tubs on UTH's and i think it may be to hot.

A rheostat is simply a dimmer switch. You can get them made for table lamps that you plug into like an extension cord. Find them at any hardware store for less than $10. Usually in the lighting department.