Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,468

2 members and 3,466 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Bad shed? No problem.

Printable View

• 02-28-2007, 09:44 AM
    tigerlily
    Bad shed? No problem.
    I thought I would try and make a visual step by step guide for soaking, since this problem comes up quite frequently. It is possible to contribute to a bad shed by soaking prior to the actual shed. These steps should be taken after the shed has failed to come off. If the snake has not managed to complete it's shed after 24 hours, then it's okay to help it out.

Step 1 - Start with a bad shed. They're really not a big deal, and happen to everyone. Just double check your husbandry that you are providing 50-60% humidity, and 70% during the shed cycle.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed1.jpg

Step 2 - Grab a container (mine is a shoebox sized rubbermaid) and fill the container with tepid (luke warm) water to 1/2 to 3/4 the "height" of your snake. You do NOT want the snake to have to swim constantly.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed2.jpg

I throw in a old wash cloth as well, and then use it later to help remove shed. This part is not necessary.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed3.jpg

Step 3 - Put snake in the container.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed4.jpg

Step 4 - Put lid on. (There are no holes in this container, and aren't necessary as the container is NOT air tight and we will only be leaving the snake in here for ONLY a hour - no more!) Once the snake is secured in the container, place the whole setup back into the enclosure whether it's in a rack or tank. (I just happen to have a rack) Let soak 45 - 60 minutes.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed5.jpg

Step 5 - After 60 minutes remove the container and snake. I use the washcloth, and let the snake slide through it to remove the shed. You can use whatever is handy.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed6.jpg

Step 6 - A happy, well shed snake. If you were not able to get all the shed off in this attempt. Wait 24 hours and try again until all shed is gone. (which should not take more than a couple attemtps)

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed7.jpg
  • 02-28-2007, 09:48 AM
    Freakie_frog
    Re: Bad shed? No problem.
    great tutorial!
  • 02-28-2007, 09:54 AM
    frankykeno
    Excellent post Christie. I remember how unsure I was the first time I had to soak a snake and how much great help I got here at BPNet. Even better now though that you've provided the pictorial.:)
  • 02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
    lord jackel
    Christie...This is really good. We should get one of the Admins to Sticky it so everyone can refer to it when needed.

Great Job.
  • 02-28-2007, 11:35 AM
    ZEKESMOM
    Great pic tutorial Christine:D
  • 02-28-2007, 12:01 PM
    nd179906
    Great tutorial it will come in handy for many people.
  • 02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
    tweets_4611
    I was really just going to ask about this :P My girl hasn't shed yet, but I wanted to know, just in case. Thanks for beating me to it!! ^_^
  • 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
    tigerlily
    Thanks everyone. :oops: Just trying to help out.
  • 02-28-2007, 12:36 PM
    iceman25
    Great tutorial Christie! This will definitely help out a lot of people looking for info on how to help a bp loose it's stuck shed! :thumbsup:
  • 02-28-2007, 01:08 PM
    rabernet
    :clap: - AWESOME job Ms. Christie!
  • 02-28-2007, 02:54 PM
    Snakeman
    wow this is great.i used this same method when my baby blood became "lazy" to shed her skin.
  • 02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
    Nate
    very nice! Kudos to you :gj:
  • 02-28-2007, 04:26 PM
    ECLARK
    JUST MY OPINION! :)

Soaking for 45-60 minutes is way to long, 10-15 minutes max will normally loosing the bad shed enought to peel it off. and you may need to soak alittle more to complete the job. after about 10 minutes the water cools down and then you will need to learn to treat URI. :)

In the winter with all the heat required to keep these guys healthy we all encounter less than ideal humidity levels and have to soak them now and then, this is how I do it and Im sure Christies way works for her. :)
  • 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
    West Coast Jungle
    Christie I have to say that is a very pretty snake you used there. Very informative and nice to look at. You can never have too many husbandry tips, Thanks. :sunny:
  • 02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
    tigerlily
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECLARK
    JUST MY OPINION! :)

Soaking for 45-60 minutes is way to long, 10-15 minutes max will normally loosing the bad shed enought to peel it off. and you may need to soak alittle more to complete the job. after about 10 minutes the water cools down and then you will need to learn to treat URI. :)

In the winter with all the heat required to keep these guys healthy we all encounter less than ideal humidity levels and have to soak them now and then, this is how I do it and Im sure Christies way works for her. :)

That's why it's important to keep the water in a warm environment, specifically the cage (which even on the cool side should remain 80 degrees). I've only had to soak a handful of times, and I've never encountered an RI.
  • 02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Great job Christie!!! .... That's exactly what I do here for problem shedders!!! :sweeet:

JUST MY OPINION. :D

I've been soaking ball pythons in tepid water, in their enclosures, 45-60 minutes at most, for over a decade and have never gotten a URI that way. The key is to make sure the tub of water doesn't sit out in a cold room ... that will chill the snake. I put my "soaking tubs" back in the rack (or cage) just like Christie ... works perfect, every time!!! :sweeet:

JUST MY OPINION ... well, more like my personal experience I guess ... whatever ... it's all good! ;) :D :sweeet:

-adam
  • 02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
    xdeus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily
    That's why it's important to keep the water in a warm environment, specifically the cage (which even on the cool side should remain 80 degrees). I've only had to soak a handful of times, and I've never encountered an RI.

I agree. I've treated numerous stuck sheds with a slightly different method (placing the snake in a warm, wet pillowcase), but I always keep them in their rack where it's nice and toasty. I've kept some of them in there for over an hour without worry.
  • 02-28-2007, 11:08 PM
    ECLARK
    The point I was trying to make was that when left in water and it can cool down, that can cause problems letting a snake sit in cold water for an hour. the original poster never said anything about putting the soaking snake in a heated cage. A heated cage would keep the temps from getting cold. and thats my opinion! :P
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Great job Christie!!! .... That's exactly what I do here for problem shedders!!! :sweeet:

JUST MY OPINION. :D

I've been soaking ball pythons in tepid water, in their enclosures, 45-60 minutes at most, for over a decade and have never gotten a URI that way. The key is to make sure the tub of water doesn't sit out in a cold room ... that will chill the snake. I put my "soaking tubs" back in the rack (or cage) just like Christie ... works perfect, every time!!! :sweeet:

JUST MY OPINION ... well, more like my personal experience I guess ... whatever ... it's all good! ;) :D :sweeet:

-adam

• 02-28-2007, 11:42 PM
    stangs13
    Great advise Crristie!:carrot: I think this is sticky worthy.:rockon:
  • 03-01-2007, 12:01 AM
    TheDude
    Fantastic!!! I used this same method on my dude!! you rock! :rockon:
  • 03-01-2007, 12:20 AM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Quote:

the original poster never said anything about putting the soaking snake in a heated cage.

This you missed this part of the post good buddy. :sweeet:

Quote:

Once the snake is secured in the container, place the whole setup back into the enclosure whether it's in a rack or tank. (I just happen to have a rack) Let soak 45 - 60 minutes.

Christie even posted a picture of the soaking container in the tub in the rack.

I thought the post was very well done and was excellent advice.

ROCK ON Christie!! :love:

-adam
  • 03-01-2007, 02:02 AM
    ECLARK
    I did not miss anything, EDITED FOR TWEAKING! :P
    Quote:

This you missed this part of the post good buddy. :sweeet:
    And I agree, good post!

Christie even posted a picture of the soaking container in the tub in the rack.

I thought the post was very well done and was excellent advice.

ROCK ON Christie!! :love:

-adam

• 03-01-2007, 09:29 AM
    tigerlily
    Thank you Adam. :wuv:

Quote:

That was NOT the tweaking that I added Ed. All pics were in the original post, and all tweaking had been done, by the time you posted.

The only tweaking done was to add that soaking PRIOR to shedding can be deterimental. I also 'tweaked' my original one or two inches of water to 1/2 to 3/4 the 'height' of your snake.

I am more than willing to tweak it again, if anyone sees anything else that could be added or clarified.
  • 03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Quote:

Yup, saw the edit and checked the time stamps before I posted ... your post was several hours after the last time Christie edited the thread ... sorry bud ... looks like you just missed it, no biggie ... happens to all of us! :sweeet: :D

Coming down to my backyard to see big sexy on Saturday? :carrot:

http://www.8ballpythons.com/uploads/soaking1.gif

http://www.8ballpythons.com/uploads/soaking2.gif

-adam
  • 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
    ECLARK
    I guess Im just gettin more stupid as I age. :P
    Quote:

Yup, saw the edit and checked the time stamps before I posted ... your post was several hours after the last time Christie edited the thread ... sorry bud ... looks like you just missed it, no biggie ... happens to all of us! :sweeet: :D

Coming down to my backyard to see big sexy on Saturday? :carrot:

http://www.8ballpythons.com/uploads/soaking1.gif

http://www.8ballpythons.com/uploads/soaking2.gif

-adam

• 03-19-2007, 06:15 PM
    Chard
    thanks for this tutorial!
  • 03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
    c_it1
    Quote:

I thought I would try and make a visual step by step guide for soaking, since this problem comes up quite frequently. It is possible to contribute to a bad shed by soaking prior to the actual shed. These steps should be taken after the shed has failed to come off. If the snake has not managed to complete it's shed after 24 hours, then it's okay to help it out.

Step 1 - Start with a bad shed. They're really not a big deal, and happen to everyone. Just double check your husbandry that you are providing 50-60% humidity, and 70% during the shed cycle.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed1.jpg

Step 2 - Grab a container (mine is a shoebox sized rubbermaid) and fill the container with tepid (luke warm) water to 1/2 to 3/4 the "height" of your snake. You do NOT want the snake to have to swim constantly.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed2.jpg

I throw in a old wash cloth as well, and then use it later to help remove shed. This part is not necessary.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed3.jpg

Step 3 - Put snake in the container.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed4.jpg

Step 4 - Put lid on. (There are no holes in this container, and aren't necessary as the container is NOT air tight and we will only be leaving the snake in here for ONLY a hour - no more!) Once the snake is secured in the container, place the whole setup back into the enclosure whether it's in a rack or tank. (I just happen to have a rack) Let soak 45 - 60 minutes.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed5.jpg

Step 5 - After 60 minutes remove the container and snake. I use the washcloth, and let the snake slide through it to remove the shed. You can use whatever is handy.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed6.jpg

Step 6 - A happy, well shed snake. If you were not able to get all the shed off in this attempt. Wait 24 hours and try again until all shed is gone. (which should not take more than a couple attemtps)

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../6/9/shed7.jpg

i look everywhere for the shed problem even the vets didnt help me as much as your post, thanks for sharing. steve
  • 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
    tigerlily
    I'm glad you found it helpful. :D
  • 03-30-2007, 04:01 AM
    SirMontyPython
    I always soak Monty when his eyes get cloudy. Then when the skin gets really dry I soak him again and then peel it for him. I started doing this after he tried to shed on his own and ended up with scales that were dull from rubbing himself on his logs too hard.

I am sure my humidity is not right but he doesn't seem to mind my peeling him.
  • 03-30-2007, 08:32 AM
    tigerlily
    I would really recommend not soaking, while he's blue. It may be part of the reason that he can't get the shed off by himself. Just increase your humidity, or try adding a humid hide during shed as well.
  • 04-10-2007, 02:47 AM
    Kennyxemerson
    Thanks for the tutorial :]
  • 04-11-2007, 09:44 PM
    joannarea
    :carrot: Thanks for the great help on the step-by-step. Glad so many care enough to give such indepyh information.
  • 05-29-2007, 11:30 PM
    BPNewb
    Great info ... I just recently got a BP (my first) from my boyfriend for my birthday (isn't he sweet? ;)) and she just went through her first shed ... what a messy process that was .. but I'm assuming it was due to the fact that she's in a new environment; it was very piecy. You mention the whole process of soaking and helping sluff the remaining skin - aren't the BP's typically 'moody' during this phase? Actually last night I went to pick her up, and she hissed at me, so I left her alone - only to find out this morning she shed during the night. I guess I just have to proceed with caution?

Thanks again for the info.
    BPNewb
  • 07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
    timcranston
    Wow just what i needed this is a great post
  • 07-04-2007, 09:08 PM
    Tat&Tu
    I Loved the tutorial and it will help me out next time my BP sheds or maybe now! Does this tutorial also work if the BP has shed all of its skin except the head?
  • 07-05-2007, 08:56 PM
    moespeaking
    Let me just add DO NOT leave your snake unattended soaking in any size container. Its too risky, it says here to let soak for 45-1 hr. I put her in a tub for 10-15 minutes and it seems to do the job. So if you cant watch the snake for 45-1 hr only soak for the amount of time you can.

ball pythons who have not shed good over their heads and sensory pits will make hissing noises caused by the loose skin. This isnt aggresion or a sign of an RI, if it only happens during a shed.
  • 07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
    mischevious21
    Yea, every step you showed Ive been doing with my girl sense she was born. Shes never shed by herself- Ive done that many times.. lol
  • 07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
    tigerlily
    I do not watch my snakes for the 45-60 minutes that I let them soak. I've never had a problem with that. Since the water level should never be high enough to force them to 'swim' to stay afloat, there really isn't a need for constant vigilance.

Jessika, I'd recheck your humidity levelsl. I usually only have to help with a stuck shed on a rare occassion. Humidity levels are key.

I'm glad that this has been of some help.
  • 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM
    Argentra
    Oh lots of help. :)
    My little one surprised me with her first shed, at a time when humidity was around 43%! Little wonder it was in pieces. I read your instructions and soaked her for about 20min (she's just a little one after all) then let her run through the washcloth. It worked great!! The only piece left was a little on top of her head and on her neck, and she got that off herself that night. Now I have cypress in there, humidity sits at 50%-65%, and I now will start 'bothering' her once in a while when I change water to keep an eye on her. :)

Thanks!
  • 07-29-2007, 12:38 AM
    Swingline0.0.1
    Tigerlily-

Just wanted to add my thanks for a great post!

Milton was in the middle of a bad shed when we got him- his eyecaps were still on and everything... we got that taken care of, but last week was his first full shed with us. It was neat seeing all the phases, but this time he got the part off his head and eyes without a problem, but not the rest of him. He got about 70% of it off in one piece (we've since stabilized the humidity thanks to some other great posts on here!), and I soaked him today using your method. he had a bit stuck on his neck (about 2" from his head) and some in the middle, and it all came off without a problem when I just let him go through the rag.

Thanks again!
  • 07-29-2007, 08:44 AM
    frankykeno
    I cannot begin to imagine all the snakes and new, worried owners this thread has helped Christie. I often use this thread and the one from Daniel on the shedding process at other forums to explain what's going on and what to do if things go wrong along the way. Absolutely top notch stuff and a wonderful job done here Christie!
  • 08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
    krazi0469
    ok my new bp started his shed last night... it just seems like he cant get it over his eyes???
  • 08-02-2007, 07:35 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

Have you misted the tank to increase the humidity?

Do you feel the tank was too dry in the first place?

Has me managed it by now and the panic is over?:)

dr del
  • 08-05-2007, 12:44 AM
    DEATHEATER
    How often will a young ball shed?Mine is about six to seven months old.He shed about a month and a half ago.I think he is getting ready to shed again.His mood has changed lately.
  • 08-05-2007, 08:53 AM
    tigerlily
    There is no set schedule for young ball pythons to shed. Depending on temps, feeding schedule, and the individual they can shed anywhere from 2 weeks - 3 months ... with the average being once every 4-6 weeks.
  • 08-05-2007, 04:51 PM
    DEATHEATER
    Thank you for the information.I worry about my snake alot so any help at all is do good.Where I live there are not many people with snakes every one hates them around here.
  • 08-05-2007, 10:30 PM
    Krazy99CL
    Great help. Although kind of hard when you have a snake that has a bad shed and wants to bit everything.
  • 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM
    darkangel
    I'm going to be using this tonight. My pastel I suppose decided he wants to be lazy and doesn't want to rub his shed off, so it's just sitting on him, waiting to come off. :P
  • 08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
    Dell
    Hello,

Great tutorial, would you guys recommend this same method for a 9 day old first shed?

Thanks,

Dell
  • 08-20-2007, 09:19 AM
    tigerlily
    If you mean that the shed has been retained for 9 days, then yes.