Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,464

1 members and 3,463 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Bee project input

Printable View

• 04-16-2014, 12:01 AM
    whatsherface
    Bee project input
    I'm a ways off from this happening, but a girl can dream. And plot.

I've been spending a bunch of time looking around and trying to find a focus for a ball python project (because if I don't have a focus I'll just want to get one of everything and I don't see that working out), and I've decided I would love to try and work on some bee morphs. I would love to produce some killer queen bees and experiment with the queen bee morph. I'd like to start with two gene animals (mostly for cost consideration) and work my way up.

I was wondering what your guys input would be on good morphs to kick off the project with would be?

I figured a lesser bee, bumble bee, and a lesser pastel would make a good start.
  • 04-16-2014, 12:08 AM
    RissaEst
    Re: Bee project input
    Add pinstripe somewhere and make Killer Queenspins. That's one of my goals for the future!
  • 04-16-2014, 12:23 AM
    whatsherface
    I'll be honest and say I'm not very drawn to the pin gene. I'll definitely have to throw in another lesser and see if I can get some BELs though.
  • 04-16-2014, 01:03 AM
    whatsherface
    Apparently I'm starting this project off right with a 2013 male lesser bee from sho220! Gotta love the locals. :) Thanks, Doug! I can't wait to pick this guy up!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps21e9bda9.jpg
  • 04-16-2014, 01:06 AM
    sho220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsherface View Post
    Apparently I'm starting this project off right with a 2013 male lesser bee from sho220! Gotta love the locals. :) Thanks, Doug! I can't wait to pick this guy up!

I'm gonna miss him! :tears: But I know he's going to a good home! :D
  • 04-16-2014, 08:12 AM
    Emilio
    I love the Spider gene all there combos rock good luck with whatever you decide oh one more thing add some Fire to the mix. Firebee is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
    Pythonfriend
    i would suggest: dont get too deep into pastel, instead use more lesser/butter (you want to do that anyway), fire, and enchi. one day maybe orange dream. in multi-gene combos, often pastel is to blame for washing out the pattern too much.

maybe you could consider adding a darkener, like cinnamon or black pastel.

if you dont like pinstripe, then thats it, personally i would add it, in order to produce some spinners, and also because pinstripe interacts so nicely with lesser/butter and mojave. calico/sugar may also be interesting.
  • 04-16-2014, 11:55 AM
    ManInTheSun
    Im getting his female clutch mate on Monday! I think were lucky to get such beautiful snakes! Hope we can stay in touch and see how our breeding projects turn out!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
  • 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
    paulh
    Starting with a lesser bee male, you'd need at least one pastel (or pastel combination) female in order to produce queen bees. Pastel females may be cheap enough to get two. Two females would increase the probability of at least one queen bee baby. A super pastel female would be a better choice, if there are any available at a price you are willing to pay. That would maximize the probability of getting a queen bee from only one female. I would not get a bumblebee female because the lesser bee already has the spider gene. If you want both blue-eyed whites and queen bees from the mating, the female should be a lesser pastel (whatever the trade name is). But the best choice is a lesser super pastel. Again, price and availability will affect what way you go.

The lesser bee male will not sire any killer queen bees. That mix includes super pastel, and both parents must have the pastel gene for any super pastel babies.

Good luck.
  • 04-16-2014, 03:05 PM
    whatsherface
    Thanks for the great info! I was thinking a pastave or lesser pastel female. Pastave would have a ton of possible outcomes (both a blessing a curse with how small BP clutches are) including BELs and Queen Bees but also a large possibilty of single genes morphs and a small chance of normals. A lesser pastel female would decrease the diversity of potential offspring but would increase chances for morphs that of particular interest to me. Priorities, I guess. I'll be getting more than two imagine snakes for this endeavor, so there's some flexibility haha. It kind of comes down to availability and funds in the end.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk