Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,240

1 members and 3,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 10-08-2015, 07:58 PM
    ZiggiGirl
    Venomous or non-venomous???
    http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10...a1fff7f320.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10...a0ef719758.jpg

I found this snake in my yard. I don't believe it's venomous but I wanted a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-08-2015, 08:03 PM
    Daigga
    Where do you live? It looks like a baby Texas rat snake to me, which are non venomous.
  • 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM
    ZiggiGirl
    Re: Venomous or non-venomous???
    Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-08-2015, 08:16 PM
    redshepherd
    Just a harmless rat snake... I'm 95% sure a Western Rat Snake, but don't count on me LOL.

There's this snake identification group on facebook with a lot of experts in herps- the right people always answer correctly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/22137638452/

It's easier to just become familiar with the few venomous species in your area, and you can safely know that anything else is harmless. :P (Unless it's an escaped snake from a hot keeper, but that is rare...)
  • 10-08-2015, 08:52 PM
    Smitty33
    Agree a baby rat snake, cute little guy.
  • 10-09-2015, 04:16 AM
    Najakeeper
    Absolutely non-venomous.

Very easy to google "Venomous snakes of Louisiana" and get a list with pictures by the way. Would be faster than waiting for answers on a forum.

Also, in the near future, never grab a snake if you don't know if it is venomous or not. Just let it be and it will go away. If there are kids/pets around that may get injured, call a professional so that they can remove the animal to be released in a safe environment.
  • 10-09-2015, 10:53 AM
    tacticalveterinarian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Najakeeper View Post
    Absolutely non-venomous.

Very easy to google "Venomous snakes of Louisiana" and get a list with pictures by the way. Would be faster than waiting for answers on a forum.

Also, in the near future, never grab a snake if you don't know if it is venomous or not. Just let it be and it will go away. If there are kids/pets around that may get injured, call a professional so that they can remove the animal to be released in a safe environment.

Non-venomous! I agree 100% with NajaKeeper
  • 10-09-2015, 11:19 AM
    jclaiborne
    Quote:

Originally Posted by najakeeper View Post
    absolutely non-venomous.

Very easy to google "venomous snakes of louisiana" and get a list with pictures by the way. Would be faster than waiting for answers on a forum.

this!!
  • 10-11-2015, 01:28 AM
    Ballpythoncrazy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Najakeeper View Post
    Also, in the near future, never grab a snake if you don't know if it is venomous or not. Just let it be and it will go away.

Agreed. You'd think this would be common sense but...
  • 10-17-2015, 04:28 PM
    pbyeerts
    There are only 4 kinds of venomous wild snakes in the USA: rattlesnakes, copperheads, corn, and cotton mouth/water moccasins. Of course, this doesn't include the dummies that lose their Cobras, lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pamela and GINGER, my wonderful BP

1 dog, 3 cats, 1 macaw, 1 husband, 1 daughter, and GINGER [emoji216]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk