Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

0 members and 3,376 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 10-24-2014, 07:01 PM
    Heeltoeclutch
    Re: How to get the smell of decomp. out of a heated reptile room?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by artgecko View Post

MarkS- I don't know what "simplegreen" is... Is that some kind of organic cleaner?

bcr229- This boa is still in a glass tank. I cleaned with a fresh batch of chlorhexadine that I mixed up and let it sit for a while and then dried the tank and replaced the bedding.

I've read regurg smells even worse then this... I hope I never find out because this was pretty darn bad.

Thank you again everyone for your input!

Simple green is a commonly available household/automotive cleaner, light degreaser:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Simple-Gree...3005/100060853
  • 10-24-2014, 07:10 PM
    MarkS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Heeltoeclutch View Post
    Simple green is a commonly available household/automotive cleaner, light degreaser:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Simple-Gree...3005/100060853

Yup, this is the stuff. I have a lot of friends who swear by it and say that it is a safe, effective and pleasant smelling cleaner. And I trust their judgement. However I don't know what trick of the sub-conscience I've got going on, but I personally can't stand the smell of the stuff.
  • 10-24-2014, 07:11 PM
    Heeltoeclutch
    I think it smells comforting... Like the smell of progress. :D
  • 10-24-2014, 07:22 PM
    MarkS
    to me it brings to mind the smell of that stuff that the janitors used to sprinkle on the vomit whenever some kid got sick at school. :puke2:
  • 10-27-2014, 03:24 PM
    artgecko
    You guys are selling it so well... lol. I might pick some up.

Airing out the room seemed to work. I have now vacuumed up the remaining baking soda and there's no residual funk.

Thanks again to all those that helped!
  • 10-28-2014, 07:02 PM
    wolfy-hound
    Baking soda always works well for me, for the air, open up the windows and put baking soda and charcoal in the room.
  • 10-30-2014, 12:30 AM
    whatsherface
    I've had a similar situation before. I've never used simple green but Target (and other department stores, I'm sure) sells these little things in with the air fresheners and candles.

http://m.target.com/p/up-up-fresh-cl...z/-/A-13409497

They do a really great job at getting rid of smells without leaving a really heavy odor or going into the air like Febreeze. I keep one under my rats' cage and it almost completely eliminates the smell.
  • 10-30-2014, 06:58 AM
    reptileexperts
    When the retics leave me some odors, I have learned from other keepers to put Listerine in a spray bottle (keep that in the room anyway incase of bites) and use it as a cleaning solution after I f10 the enclosure. The added mist of Listerine to clean has completely eliminated the smells I have encountered.

Anytime I've had a left over food for more than a few hours, a quick open window though has done the trick FWIW
  • 10-30-2014, 07:57 AM
    artgecko
    Thanks so much for your help guys!
    whatsherface- I had to get some stuff from target anyway, so I ordered a couple of those to try.

Reptileexperts- What "flavor" of listerine do you use, and do you just wipe it dry afterwards?
  • 12-02-2014, 03:03 AM
    Lady mkrj58
    I second that question.

Sent from my SGH-T999