Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

0 members and 3,284 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

real quick..

Printable View

• 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM
    CCfive
    real quick..
    Not trying to start a redundant thread, just needed to know what

size/type screw to use with the 3/4 melamine for my new rack.

Also sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

thanks in advance:snake:
  • 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM
    Freakie_frog
    1.5" course thread, drywall screw and counter sink it..
  • 05-19-2011, 08:47 PM
    willieshotg3
    Re: real quick..
    x2 on countersink...i would also predrill just to make sure you dont split the wood
  • 05-19-2011, 11:57 PM
    kitedemon
    I'd recommend particle board screws, they will countersink them selves just a dimple in the surface to help them run true.
  • 05-20-2011, 12:22 AM
    Misfit
    Mmkay.. so I get pre-drilling the hole, but what does countersinking it do?

I'm using 1/2 inch melamine, btw.
  • 05-20-2011, 12:23 AM
    seeya205
    1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch wood screws with a pilot hole. You can buy white plastic caps for the screws for a more professional look! You will still need to countersink them so they are flush!!
  • 05-20-2011, 04:55 PM
    jason_ladouceur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misfit View Post

first i second that you should use particleboard screws. 1 1/4 #8 should be perfect. countersinking is done using a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the screws you are using that has a larger piece at the end that makes a shallow hole large enough for the head of the screw to "countersink" or end of flush with the face of the material you are driving it through. with half inch melimine if you do decide to you a countersink bit be very carfull to make only a very shallow hole or you risk driveing the head of the screw right through the gable of the rack. i build cabinets every day for a living and would recemend strongly that you consider using 5/8" material for extra strengh. i think you may find that 1/2" shelfs will begin to sag over time.
    hope this helps
  • 05-20-2011, 06:50 PM
    OhhWatALoser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misfit View Post

You can buy a bit that pre drills and counter sinks it all in one shot, makes things a lot faster.

I build everything with 3/4 doesn't cost that much for for 50% more strength.
  • 05-20-2011, 07:10 PM
    kitedemon
    Personally I would not counter sink the melamine, the particle board screws are designed to crush, compacting the fibres around the screws and increase the straight at the fastener. Counter sunk holes remove material from already not so strong board. Pilot holes in the larger sizes are useful but not really needed in the smaller ones I just use a awl to get a dimple to start the screw. Although if you are stuck with Phillips and not Robertson you might need the pilot hole to avoid stripping it out.
  • 05-20-2011, 07:31 PM
    jason_ladouceur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Although if you are stuck with Phillips and not Robertson you might need the pilot hole to avoid stripping it out.

ya stuck with. Robbies are awsome and Phillips are crap. i mean they are crap. i would rather use slot heads than Phillips. if i lived in the states and needed screws for anything i would pay whatever shipping cost i had to, to get my hands on robbie screws