Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

1 members and 3,028 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455

Hatchling BP Oil Painting

Printable View

• 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM
    sho220
    Re: Hatchling BP Oil Painting
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    You paint beautifully. Being able to see the progression of it really gives me an appreciation for the amount of work that you have done. It's pretty amazing how the last bit with the scales and the highlights really makes the details pop, especially in the egg fluid. If you don't mind, how many hours would you think you have into the whole thing?

Thanks. I usually paint in very thin layers and kind of build up the painting as I go along. All of those details and highlights that make it pop have to wait until the end. Sometimes I'll rough them in to get an idea of where they'll be, but they don't get refined until the end. Total painting time is probably between 20-30 hours? Just a guess. A lot of time is spent just planning and making tiny adjustments. I spend a ton of time just pacing back and forth between the easel and the far end of the room. You will see things differently depending on how close or far away you are. You also see things completely different when you flip a canvas or panel upside down. That's one of the easiest ways to sort out perspective or proportion problems. Flip the picture upside down and the problem area is usually glaringly obvious. When looking at it right side up, your brain will compensate by sending you a preconceived idea of whatever it is you're looking at. We do it all the time. We fill in and fix things that aren't right all the time with everything we look at. Wow...I'm rambling...:rolleyes: :)
  • 06-25-2015, 06:54 AM
    sho220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anicatgirl View Post
    :bow::O:bow::O I can't even form words for this. It's so realistic... The goopy content of the egg looks so real... Permission to save this for a PC background? Also, if you aren't, you should be paid for this stuff...

Feel free to use it for a background. :)
  • 06-26-2015, 12:34 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    All I can say is WOW, very interesting to see the process that goes into painting, wish I had such a gift.
  • 06-26-2015, 12:38 PM
    KitaCat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Thanks. I usually paint in very thin layers and kind of build up the painting as I go along. All of those details and highlights that make it pop have to wait until the end. Sometimes I'll rough them in to get an idea of where they'll be, but they don't get refined until the end. Total painting time is probably between 20-30 hours? Just a guess. A lot of time is spent just planning and making tiny adjustments. I spend a ton of time just pacing back and forth between the easel and the far end of the room. You will see things differently depending on how close or far away you are. You also see things completely different when you flip a canvas or panel upside down. That's one of the easiest ways to sort out perspective or proportion problems. Flip the picture upside down and the problem area is usually glaringly obvious. When looking at it right side up, your brain will compensate by sending you a preconceived idea of whatever it is you're looking at. We do it all the time. We fill in and fix things that aren't right all the time with everything we look at. Wow...I'm rambling...:rolleyes: :)

It's an interesting ramble!

I agree with whoever said you should be paid for this. :) I'd buy a painting like this in a heartbeat!
  • 06-26-2015, 04:13 PM
    Alicia
    Wow, beautiful!! :bow::bow::salute:
  • 06-28-2015, 01:34 AM
    sho220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    Wow, beautiful!! :bow::bow::salute:

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    All I can say is WOW, very interesting to see the process that goes into painting, wish I had such a gift.

Thanks Deborah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KitaCat View Post
    It's an interesting ramble!

I agree with whoever said you should be paid for this. :) I'd buy a painting like this in a heartbeat!

Thanks!
  • 06-29-2015, 02:58 AM
    anicatgirl
    Hell, I dunno what the process is, but you can sell prints to people of your art off of deviantart. Just a thought :)
  • 10-19-2015, 11:13 PM
    Kari-Kraken
    Wow! It just keep's getting better and better :D
  • 02-07-2016, 09:58 PM
    Coluber42
    Wow, that's really beautiful!
    I work in a building with a lot of artists' studios, and there are always all kinds of paintings on the walls. But most of them are nowhere near as nice.
    The shine on the scales is really nice... that looks like an adorable little baby, too!
  • 02-07-2016, 10:43 PM
    DellaF
    Omg! Amazing painting! The head on the BP looks so real. So much talent. Thanks for sharing.